Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD; Exeter City v Charlton Athletic ; Saturday 4th February 2023 ; KO 3.00 pm

Charlton started slowly before finding their feet and scoring two goals in fairly quick succession to stun an Exeter side that like to attack. Rak-Sakyi opened Charlton’s account on 8 minutes with a glorious finish on the volley from an equally impressive through ball from a lively George Dobson (“Ben Jay forever in our hearts!”). CBT’s attacking down the left was effective and, ten minutes later on 18 minutes he found the back of the net to put us two up. 

A defensive mistake let Exeter back in it on 31 minutes, which threatened to take the wind out of the Addick’s sails and make the second half a bit nervy. 

Fortunately, Charlton found enough to ensure Exeter wouldn’t. In the second half, Exeter were kept at bay and never really got going. Some fairly solid defending disrupted Exeter’s forward play. The second half was quite scrappy, to our advantage. 

Four wins from five, we have a bit of momentum despite the last week’s loss to a strong Bolton side.

AMB with an outstanding save late in extra time to ensure that the Addicks came away with the important away win.

Exeter 1 Charlton 2

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    @cafcsinger they're irrelevant to the Charlton match. Happy for them to go on another thread.
  • Options
    AMB really saved us in that last minute. 

Great period in the first half for 20 minutes or so and we showed what we can do other than that it’s was a good defensive display.

Not sure why Bonne starts would rather Leaburn but all in all a well earned 3 points, could of gone either way.
  • Options
    Pretty happy to be honest. We showed at times guts, class, trickery and only once made a very bad mistake and we're punished.

7/10 for me.
  • Options
    Game wont live long in the memory, but thought I'd post the below link for ease lads... ;)

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/80171/will-we-make-the-play-offs#latest
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Great debut from Kilkenny. He’s very mobile and doesn’t half get about a bit!
    certainly does
  • Options
    Think we might have gone on to score 3 or more if we hadn’t had another defensive lapse. Completely changed the flow of the game and instantly put us on the back foot from there. 

It’s a shame as I felt we defended well today, but we are not going to claw our way up to anywhere near top 6 if we can’t keep clean sheets. 

Good hard fought win though, and any worry I might have had about Kilkenny and his lack of game time were very quickly dispelled. If he can keep up that sort of level of performance it bodes well for us. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    @cafcsinger they're irrelevant to the Charlton match. Happy for them to go on another thread.
    Cheer up Dazzler21, we won and some fans like other scores, you can please ... etc.
  • Options
    Bar the goals, watching JRS and CBT is beyond frustrating and demoralising. Both so capable, but constant heavy touches, losing possession consistently and failing to take on the man/wanting to slow the game down is infuriating!

prefer Leaburn to start the game, and bring bonne on later in the game - seems a better way to run the front line, Bonne chasing down the ball in the latter stages works so much better.

Kilkenny class, he'll look good next to dobson and fraser (if fraser pushes further up).
    fullbacks exposed all game due to lack of tracking back/defensiveness from wingers, clare pretty poor throughout however. 

we'll take the win, but pleasing to see Ness look more experienced and assured than innis - would like to see hector and ness together soon - Innis isnt an awful back up if needed. 

Thought the subs came a bit too late, but it all worked out. good ground out victory, something we havent done under our last few managers  

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Bar the goals, watching JRS and CBT is beyond frustrating and demoralising. Both so capable, but constant heavy touches, losing possession consistently and failing to take on the man/wanting to slow the game down is infuriating!

prefer Leaburn to start the game, and bring bonne on later in the game - seems a better way to run the front line, Bonne chasing down the ball in the latter stages works so much better.

Kilkenny class, he'll look good next to dobson and fraser (if fraser pushes further up).
    fullbacks exposed all game due to lack of tracking back/defensiveness from wingers, clare pretty poor throughout however. 

we'll take the win, but pleasing to see Ness look more experienced and assured than innis - would like to see hector and ness together soon - Innis isnt an awful back up if needed. 

Thought the subs came a bit too late, but it all worked out. good ground out victory, something we havent done under our last few managers  

Bonne scores more starting. Leaburn scores more subbed on (4/6)
  • Options
    Excellent performance, I'm so happy.
    I was absolutely bricking it in those last 10 mins. 
  • Options
    Excellent performance, I'm so happy.
    I was absolutely bricking it in those last 10 mins. 
    Hate to think how Morts coped ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well pleased with the three points. We've won a few recently that could have gone either way - that's a good sign.
    The biggest positive was the performance of Kilkenny. I've been calling out for an athletic midfielder and was disappointed when we signed someone who's 5'7". How wrong can you be.
    Considering how few games he's played he was excellent - all energy for an impressive 97 minutes. He'll improve with matches too.
    So relieved when the final whistle went - after a great save from AMB.
  • Options
    It was an odd game. We weren't in it until the goal, then we were in total control until their goal when Exeter moved into the ascendency again.

We couldn't seem to keep the ball in the second half, apart from in our own half, but defended well and AMB made a fantastic save at the end.

Ness has done so well, and continued his good form today and Kilkenny looked very bright. We probably wouldn't have got him without the Holden connection.

It wasn't pretty but thanks to the goals from Beksiaki and Brooke-Taylor, it was 3 points well won.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    What's happened to JRS's name!? Has he been hashtag Curbs'd!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Bonne scores more starting. Leaburn scores more subbed on (4/6)
    To me, they are both strikers that would thrive in a partnership 
    Think they'd be good together. 

3-5-2 (we don't have enough CBs fit yet) or 4-4-2. 

I think we actually could go 4-4-2 with Dobson and Gavlar.

• Options
    A win away from home is always good. Reasonable distance from the bottom 4 now.

Keep it going!