Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Exeter City vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 4th February 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Exeter City vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 4th February 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Declan Bourne

Introduction
For all sense and purpose 2023 hasn't been the worst of starts for the Addicks, at least on the pitch - We came into the New Year winless in eight, yet Dean Holden's approach to the squad appears to be working, three wins this calendar year so far... and whilst we were played off the pitch for large periods against Bolton, it once again took divine intervention in the form of another individual error for the Addicks to come away pointless, something that has happened far too often this campaign - The Addicks travel to Exeter this Saturday... The compass has looked favourable on us this season, with Charlton recording four out of five wins against side further South than us.

The Opposition
Name: Exeter City (10th) | Manager: Gary Caldwell
Ground: St. James' Park
Previous League Result: Milton Keynes 0-2 Exeter City

Following their promotion last season, the Grecians have found life pretty comfortable back in League One - Exeter have neither excelled, nor have they really disappointed for large parts, they've had flurries of form (two wins on the trot is the best they've achieved, whilst at worst have only lost twice on the trot before correcting issues from those performances) - It means that our opponents this Saturday sit in a respectable 10th spot, the Addicks can go within a point should they record a victory at St James' Park this Saturday... No not that one, the other one!!

Matters weren't made easy for the Devon side, when in October they lost their Manager to Championship side: Rotherham United - In stepped Gary Caldwell, who of course has won the League One title, a feat he achieved in 2015-16, however that realistically has been the highlight of his Managerial career... Spells with Chesterfield and Partick Thistle have resulted in failure, with neither lasting a calendar year - Yet Caldwell by stepping into the hot seat at Exeter perhaps has the advantage of just needing to continue the good work that Taylor had started... How thing pan out in the future, we'll have to see.

As for individuals - Well Jay Stansfield is an obvious name, the young Striker on loan from Fulham had an excellent start to his career back in his home county of Devon, scoring four goals in his first nine games (including one in the 4-2 defeat at the Valley) - However he's failed to score since the arrival of Caldwell, with goals primarily coming from Jevani Brown... who has 14-goals in all competitions this season.

Charlton Team News
The January Transfer Window has to be the worst time of the year supporting Charlton - Whether its expectation or the over-reactions, its always a personal joy to see Business done and dusted, at least for a couple more months - Naturally we'll see changes to the team, especially with the arrivals of Gavin Kilkenny and Michael Hector (We may have to wait a while for his introduction). Yet based on the line up against Bolton, the only absence should be Eoghan O'Connell who of course departed for an adventure in North Wales with Wrexham.

Maynard-Brewer
Sessegnon - Inniss - Ness - Penney
Kilkenny - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Clare - Hector - Henry - Campbell - Payne - Bonne

Comments

• I'd be surprised if Morgan isn't in the starting lineup, or is he injured?
  • I'd be surprised if Morgan isn't in the starting line up, or is he injured?
    Yeah I fully expect Henry to be the one to miss out... Its more of a squad that I'd go for above, as wont be surprised if Sean Clare starts @ Right-Back with Sessegnon on the bench again, how much he needs to be rested though is anyone's guess.
  • I'd be surprised if Morgan isn't in the starting line up, or is he injured?
    Yeah I fully expect Henry to be the one to miss out... Its more of a squad that I'd go for above, as wont be surprised if Sean Clare starts @ Right-Back with Sessegnon on the bench again, how much he needs to be rested though is anyone's guess.
    Tbf your line up is the one which I'd like to see as well 🤞
  • Exeter City vs Charlton Athletic

Introduction
    For all sense and purpose 2023 hasn't been the worst of starts for the Addicks, at least on the pitch - We came into the New Year winless in eight, yet Dean Holden's approach to the squad appears to be working, three wins this calendar year so far... and whilst we were played off the pitch for large periods against Bolton, it once again took divine intervention in the form of another individual error for the Addicks to come away pointless, something that has happened far too often this campaign - The Addicks travel to Exeter this Saturday... The compass has looked favourable on us this season, with Charlton recording four out of five wins against side further South than us.

The Opposition

Following their promotion last season, the Grecians have found life pretty comfortable back in League One - Exeter have neither excelled, nor have they really disappointed for large parts, they've had flurries of form (two wins on the trot is the best they've achieved, whilst at worst have only lost twice on the trot before correcting issues from those performances) - It means that our opponents this Saturday sit in a respectable 10th spot, the Addicks can go within a point should they record a victory at St James' Park this Saturday... No not that one, the other one!!

Matters weren't made easy for the Devon side, when in October they lost their Manager to Championship side: Rotherham United - In stepped Gary Caldwell, who of course has won the League One title, a feat he achieved in 2015-16, however that realistically has been the highlight of his Managerial career... Spells with Chesterfield and Partick Thistle have resulted in failure, with neither lasting a calendar year - Yet Caldwell by stepping into the hot seat at Exeter perhaps has the advantage of just needing to continue the good work that Taylor had started... How thing pan out in the future, we'll have to see.

As for individuals - Well Jay Stansfield is an obvious name, the young Striker on loan from Fulham had an excellent start to his career back in his home county of Devon, scoring four goals in his first nine games (including one in the 4-2 defeat at the Valley) - However he's failed to score since the arrival of Caldwell, with goals primarily coming from Jevani Brown... who has 14-goals in all competitions this season.

Charlton Team News
    The January Transfer Window has to be the worst time of the year supporting Charlton - Whether its expectation or the over-reactions, its always a personal joy to see Business done and dusted, at least for a couple more months - Naturally we'll see changes to the team, especially with the arrivals of Gavin Kilkenny and Michael Hector (We may have to wait a while for his introduction). Yet based on the line up against Bolton, the only absence should be Eoghan O'Connell who of course departed for an adventure in North Wales with Wrexham.

Maynard-Brewer

This is the team I would choose for tomorrow.  I would have Morgan on bench ahead of Henry though .
  • Looking forward to the day out. I have family who are season ticket holders down there so this was the first fixture I looked  for. In terms of the lineup, I'd very much like that to be the starting team but expect Morgan in place of Kilkenny due to a lack of match fitness.
  • I'd take a draw, but I think this will be tough. 2-1 Exeter.
  • I'd also expect Hector to be 'managed' and not quite ready for the bench.
    He'll have hamstrings not quite ready to be risked in League One. 

If Thomas is fit enough, he'll be fine for the bench. 

• Sponsored links:

• We have decided to head down today leaving now looking forward to a good win going for 
    A 3-0 win to the mighty CAFC Come On You Reds  B)
  • I'll be there....either a 3-0 loss or a 2-1 win.
  • Second winless match in our next run of 8 without a win.

Take a draw think we will lose 2-1
  • Exeter City vs Charlton Athletic

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Maynard-Brewer

I like the idea of 2 goalkeepers and a front 5 😉

I think Morgan and Thomas will be on the bench ahead of Henry and Hector.

Two teams that can't defend but have no trouble scoring, either a Desmond or the odd goal in 5 winning it either way.

• Closer to home than the usual trip to the Valley, and looking forward to St James Park with a roof. Will be tough but reckon 2-1 to us.
  • Although I may prove to be guilty of over-reaction, I see it is a telltale game. The manager and players will come out of this week’s dealings with a reaction. It may be they think we’re fine; it may be what the hell is going on; it may be we’re professionals, let’s knuckle down. Or, something else. I expect to learn something by 5 pm tomorrow. A damaging injury or two and defeat and a relegation scrap is not out of the question. If we win, it will cheer me up no end. I think @seth plum is right, it’s a ‘must win game’ or, at the very least, ‘must do jolly well’ game.
  • 1-3 to us. We have won the last four league games versus Exeter and see no reason to change that pattern this time around…
  • Thank you for the preview. 
    I’m surprisingly optimistic about this one. 
    One each for a long time, then Bonne comes on and gets the winner. 
  • 0-1 to Charlton. 
  • our first match since covid, so quite excited.
    Don't think Kilkenny will start but will be on the bench, I feel a nail biting 0-1 win

Players marks might be a little late going up
  • Sponsored links:

• I am always surprisingly optimistic until around 3.30 when reality sets in! 1-1. Rak-Saki. Wonder if Chuks will feature from the bench.
  • Looking forward to tomorrow. Cathedral, City Wall, bit of sightseeing, a nice train ride. 

And fairly optimistic about the match too. Not an easy game, but we have enough to get 3 points as we climb to the giddy heights of upper mid table.
  • quite a few ins and outs amongst the minor squad members during the JanWindow but no changes expected to what's become the regular  starting few
    Exeter went through a bad spell in Oct/Nov including a walloping at the Valley, now they're  back in form .. a Long trip way out west, I'll be happy(ish) with a point

Exeter City 1 v CAFC 1
  • I thought we did quite well last week against a very, very good Bolton side. I fancy us to get a point or sneak a win this time.
  • Logic says we should be a decent away side. I suspect the weakness we have had defensively is the reason we have not been. 
  • I thought we did quite well last week against a very, very fairly good Bolton side. I fancy us to get a point or sneak a win this time.
    Amended that for you
  • Oggy Red said:
    I'd also expect Hector to be 'managed' and not quite ready for the bench.
    He'll have hamstrings not quite ready to be risked in League One. 

If Thomas is fit enough, he'll be fine for the bench. 

What's the problem with his hamstrings?