Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Following this club is so depressing…

edited January 2023 in General Charlton
Winning and losing games is part of football. And today’s opposition played well, deserved the win.

But today felt different to the embarrassing defeats of recent weeks against Cheltenham or Port Vale.

Perhaps I’m just numb to the embarrassing results but today felt like a depressing reality check. A slap in the face. Today we played a club that is well run, from top to bottom, and it was harder to watch everything unfold because you can’t help but wonder why can’t that be us? What did we do to deserve the shit that we’ve dealt with the past 15 years?

We played a club today that three or four years ago almost went bust. They had to play a full season in this league with a points deduction and an U23 squad because they couldn’t make signings.

They got relegated and spent a full season down in League Two. They sat 19th in the fourth tier after 10 games that season. They were staring at non-league.

But somehow, like Coventry before them, like Wigan since, they’re out the other side.

Why are we having to deal with shit owner after shit owner while other clubs get stood up properly with competent people in charge? It’s demoralising.

Comments

• Yup agree. Feel completely rudderless at the moment. It's just utter shite with us at the moment. Holden not to blame. 
  • They sat 19th in the fourth tier after 10 games that season. They were staring at non-league.

Then they signed a player that wanted to come to us who helped them out if it, but we chose DJ instead. It’s a sliding doors moment. 
  • edited January 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Winning and losing games is part of football. And today’s opposition played well, deserved the win.

But today felt different to the embarrassing defeats of recent weeks against Cheltenham or Port Vale.

Perhaps I’m just numb to the embarrassing results but today felt like a depressing reality check. A slap in the face. Today we played a club that is well run, from top to bottom, and it was harder to watch everything unfold because you can’t help but wonder why can’t that be us? What did we do to deserve the shit that we’ve dealt with the past 15 years?

We played a club today that three or four years ago almost went bust. They had to play a full season in this league with a points deduction and an U23 squad because they couldn’t make signings.

They got relegated and spent a full season down in League Two. They sat 19th in the fourth tier after 10 games that season. They were staring at non-league.

But somehow, like Coventry before them, like Wigan since, they’re out the other side.

Why are we having to deal with shit owner after shit owner while other clubs get stood up properly with competent people in charge? It’s demoralising.
    It's also proof that things can happen quickly.  A Wigan fan could post the same thing in 12 months time after we beat them to extend our lead at the top.
    As a Charlton fan I hope you’re right but I am losing faith that anything good will ever happen again at this point lol
  • When someone as Uber positive as Callum can see how much of a shitshow it is then we really are in footballing hell 
    it truly is the worst footballing period in our history and on the back of Curbs and Lennie glory years .

still no need to whine when next season we’re gonna be in our 10th season in 15 in the third tier 
    palace will be entering their 11th on the spin in the Premiership 
    and the scum will be in their 12th in 14 in the championship.

• Sponsored links:

• The hope is what hurts, despite all the reasons to doubt it a part of us had started to think we were finally starting to rise. Then reality hits
  • After watching the first half today, the realism hit home the difference between a team fighting for a play off place and us. The gulf in quality was there to show. We all thought (up until Barnsley won last Saturday) that it was mathematically albeit hard to to get. Those small flames of hope blown out completely today (if they wern't already).  All I could say was that at least this team tries. I can't fault them for effort. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scunthorpe are losing at home to Bromley.  There was about 5 divisions between them a decade ago.
  • Even more depressing is that yet again we are about to be taken over by a group that have no money.
  • Loads of club have been through similar issues with poor owners. Oxford, Wrexham, Coventry, Portsmouth, etc. to name four recent examples. Guess the only saving grace is we haven't been down to the 4th tier (which I have now just jinxed) It's annoying when the likes of palace got away with it unscathed, can add Leicester to that as they only had a single season in the third tier then achieved the unthinkable.

Sadly with modern football and the difference between the financial differences between the Premiership and Championship I see more charlatans getting involved. How is Southall not in prison? This isn't the game I feel in love with as a kid.

• edited January 2023
    Tommy won't take advice, and we are in this position BECAUSE of him. 
    He made a statement when he brought the club "....just need to tweak a few dials... will blow the league out of the water...."
    Yeah great,put you have to INVEST, in both players and staff, not sack the people who were the beating heart of the club.
    We are now facing another "investment" from who knows who and perhaps another change of direction. 

I am not depressed, just fed up with the way the club has been run the last 10 seasons
  • Sponsored links:

• Another defeat then. However through thick and thin the hardcore Charlton fans are there as per usual. 

Onwards and upwards! 
  • Yup agree. Feel completely rudderless at the moment. It's just utter shite with us at the moment. Holden not to blame. 

Do you mean the 3 games in a row we won, today's game or the off field dodgy infrastructure we have ?

It's like a emotional seesaw with Charlton critics, it never in the middle, just rock bottom with worse team ever, or win 3 games and we go too high and are reaching the playoffs. Lose to a cracking team like Bolton and our fans dreams crash down to terra Firma. 
    Pay attention and realize we are a mid table team.

IF we can have stability with Dean Holden in charge and we don't cash in this window to raise a few million on Leaburn, Ness and Dobson then we can finish top half. Plus moving on two high wages (if poss) who didn't make the squad today.

I expect it from professional negative critics like Golfie and Oohaahmortimer, but disappointing from Callum. 

You would need your head up your own arse
    (Try it at home if flexible enough) not to realize that we are mega struggling as a football club but at some time soon we need stability on and off the pitch. Is the Pope a Catholic.

We really don't need more threads like this it only feeds the negativity that is so prevalent.
    Constructive criticism welcomed, but why moan on a loop.

Do you mean the 3 games in a row we won, today's game or the off field dodgy infrastructure we have ?

It's like a emotional seesaw with Charlton critics, it never in the middle, just rock bottom with worse team ever, or win 3 games and we go too high and are reaching the playoffs. Lose to a cracking team like Bolton and our fans dreams crash down to terra Firma. 
    Pay attention and realize we are a mid table team.

IF we can have stability with Dean Holden in charge and we don't cash in this window to raise a few million on Leaburn, Ness and Dobson then we can finish top half. Plus moving on two high wages (if poss) who didn't make the squad today.

I expect it from professional negative critics like Golfie and Oohaahmortimer, but disappointing from Callum. 

You would need your head up your own arse
    (Try it at home if flexible enough) not to realize that we are mega struggling as a football club but at some time soon we need stability on and off the pitch. Is the Pope a Catholic.

We really don't need more threads like this it only feeds the negativity that is so prevalent.
    Constructive criticism welcomed, but why moan on a loop.

Nope, I mean the club as a whole. I agree with Callum it's depressing. 
  • It's never depressing following us.
  • Yep, i’ve got the massive post match blues today. Hate how much this club plays on my emotions. Season over.

Will probably book Derby tickets tomorrow…
    Exeter is the place to go
  • Tommy won't take advice, and we are in this position BECAUSE of him. 
    He made a statement when he brought the club "....just need to tweak a few dials... will blow the league out of the water...."
    Yeah great,put you have to INVEST, in both players and staff, not sack the people who where the beating heart of the club.
    We are now facing another "investment" from and perhaps another change of direction. 

I am not depressed, just fed up with the way the club has been run the last 10 seasons
    I agree with that - but the reason for that is that at no point in that time has the success of the club been the clear and unqualified focus of the ownership. For the most part, this has not been caused by shortage of funds, it’s been because the club has always been a means to an end rather than the end itself.
    No one can disagree with that. 

Question is will we ever attract a genuine football fan to take us or or do we just have to hope / settle for a slightly better informed ‘investor’?
  • Yep, i’ve got the massive post match blues today. Hate how much this club plays on my emotions. Season over.

Did you honestly think this season wasn’t already over? They had a guile that was beyond anything we can produce. Dean says fine margins but dean knows we were played if that park. Patching ourselves together and wasting valuable money has been our downfall (Kirk aneke and lavell says all you need to know. Mr gallen must be running low on credit

Did you honestly think this season wasn’t already over? 
    Yep, I’m a hopeless fool, old football romantic! 

Win today we would have been 6 points off play offs with Bolton also pegged back. All to play for. Now it’s well and truly gone.