Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Safety incident at Barnsley game.

Didn’t attend yesterday but being told about safety issue in East Stand. Re light fittings ,one appeared to have lost its safety chain and stewards had to move a section of the crowd to a safer place.  Not the first time this light has been unstable I think. 
Did anyone else see this incident.

Comments

• Options
    It is weird if a metal safety chain failed on ordinary wear and tear.
  • Options
    Stewards were spoken to by a few of us at about 30 mins in when we noticed it, they said they were aware and had made a note of it. People overseeing them hadn’t acted and wasn’t going to until a few people around us joined in and said people had to be moved. Common sense then took over during half time after we pointed out someone could be killed by it. 
  • Options
    Question. If the stand was full and the stand was unsafe for the public would game have been abandoned?
    Very worrying.
    Many things going on at Charlton that seem to be worrying.
    Nah, just chuck the ones underneath out.
  • Options
    cabbie8 said:
    Stewards were spoken to by a few of us at about 30 mins in when we noticed it, they said they were aware and had made a note of it. People overseeing them hadn’t acted and wasn’t going to until a few people around us joined in and said people had to be moved. Common sense then took over during half time after we pointed out someone could be killed by it. 
    cabbie8 said:
    Heath and Safety fingers crossed.

Not the first time this has happened but what the heck . We got three points and it didn’t fall down.

Thats the attitude at Charlton at the moment.
  • Options
    cabbie8 said:
    cabbie8 said:

Not the first time this has happened but what the heck . We got three points and it didn’t fall down.

Health and Safety is everybody’s responsibility. 
    The fans who spotted it and reported it did the right thing, but sometimes you have to recognise the limits that some people have and take control. Tell\suggest others to move.

They did a test some years ago of the effectiveness of fire alarms. They filled a room with strangers on some pretext and then activated the fire alarm. They just sat there.
    Eventually one of them got up and said he would find out what was going on. He was not allowed back in.
    It took ages for the room to be evacuated.
    They then repeated the exercise with a voice telling you to evacuate and everyone just stood up and left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There has been a toilet in the East Stand where there hasn’t been a lock on it for two seasons now. The lamp will have to join the repair queue.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Loads of people raised stadium issues after the Brighton game, particularly the Sam Bartram exit not being opened, and said if and when new takeover happens, a serious one that is that involves buying the ground. Issues over stadium safety and a general tidy and clean up of the valley, need to be addressed first thing.
  • Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Loads of people raised stadium issues after the Brighton game, particularly the Sam Bartram exit not being opened, and said if and when new takeover happens, a serious one that is that involves buying the ground. Issues over stadium safety and a general tidy and clean up of the valley, need to be addressed first thing.
    Sometimes it’s useful if individuals raise  specific issues with the club in email / writing or via the fans forum / fans advisor to create an audit trail so these things can be monitored for resolution. 

Too often with any organisation we assume someone is looking after it / aware. 

A formal escalation can help. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    You can tell the team are winning when the moaning has to revert to a light that may fall in a stand that was 75% empty & fans can move elsewhere. 

Then also fans complaining about Barnsley fans, when they could also move to any of the 4,500 spare seats.

Bloody hell, the incessant moaning on CL is reaching even greater heights. 
    Who’s moaning about it? 
    My mate Lewis Coaches from The Netherlands. 
  • Options
    You can tell the team are winning when the moaning has to revert to a light that may fall in a stand that was 75% empty & fans can move elsewhere. 

Then also fans complaining about Barnsley fans, when they could also move to any of the 4,500 spare seats.

Who’s moaning about it? 
    So 1 person? 
  • Options

Who’s moaning about it? 
    So 1 person? 
    Two, remember it's double dutch!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    cabbie8 said:
    cabbie8 said:

Health and Safety is everybody’s responsibility. 
    The fans who spotted it and reported it did the right thing, but sometimes you have to recognise the limits that some people have and take control. Tell\suggest others to move.

They did a test some years ago of the effectiveness of fire alarms. They filled a room with strangers on some pretext and then activated the fire alarm. They just sat there.
    Eventually one of them got up and said he would find out what was going on. He was not allowed back in.
    It took ages for the room to be evacuated.
    They then repeated the exercise with a voice telling you to evacuate and everyone just stood up and left.
    I conduct risk assessments on emergency lighting for TfL.
    There was a forum last week discussing the effectiveness of signage.
    They conducted a group exercise in a building where a small minority knew the lighting was going to fail and immediately went the opposite way of what running man signage indicated. Almost all followed in the wrong direction.
    Done a similar exercise, only this time the signs also has flashing beacons. This time the majority went the way the signage indicated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Speaking of which, done some work at Charlton about 15 years ago on the emergency lighting.
    If it is in the same condition now as it was then, then it could be interesting at HT on some of the concourses in the event of a power outage.
  • Options
    Didn’t attend yesterday but being told about safety issue in East Stand. Re light fittings ,one appeared to have lost its safety chain and stewards had to move a section of the crowd to a safer place.  Not the first time this light has been unstable I think. 
    Hardly a moan is it? It’s asking about something that  yesterday. No idea why you think that’s worth calling out. 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Speaking of which, done some work at Charlton about 15 years ago on the emergency lighting.
    If it is in the same condition now as it was then, then it could be interesting at HT on some of the concourses in the event of a power outage.
    Please forgive me if I'm poorly advised, but I thought such issues would be the responsibility of the COO.

Now, who was elevated to that position by Mr S ? 

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Hardly a moan is it? It’s asking about something that  yesterday. No idea why you think that’s worth calling out. 
    Question. If the stand was full and the stand was unsafe for the public would game have been abandoned?
    Very worrying.
    cabbie8 said:
    cabbie8 said:

The 3 posts from LC (who wasn't even at the game) seems like a moan to me, but happy to be considered wrong, if others think it's not.

Anyway, my specific point was the relentless negativity of the forum, not one thread. 
  • Options
    Very worrying.
    cabbie8 said:
    cabbie8 said:

Maybe you should seek assistance from your Thesaurus, CE. 

A huge difference between the meaning of "moan" and that of "concern".

What word would you feel appropriate should said light have come crashing down on my old 'ead ? 

On 2nd thoughts, maybe best to keep that to yourself....

But imagine TS's face if he had to cough up for the enormous amount of compensation I'd claim !  
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Blimey, I'm not suggesting for one moment a dodgy light is not a cause for concern. 

I'm saying but clearly failing to explain that CL is swamped with negativity, a substantial amount from people not even at the games and not even in the country. 

Personally, if I saw a dodgy light I'd alert everyone around me to move to one of the 4,500 empty seats & inform the club asap. 

I wouldn't start a thread on CL about it, but as I said if I'm in the minority and the majority find CL full of cheer, then fair enough. 

Mind you I did have 17 likes to my post, so it seems plenty agree. 

• Options
    Very worrying.
    cabbie8 said:
    cabbie8 said:

The 3 posts from LC (who wasn't even in the UK) seem like a moan to me, but happy to be considered wrong, if others think it's not.

Anyway, my specific point was the relentless negativity of the forum, not one thread.  
  • Options
    You have no idea what I was doing or where I am this weekend.
    Charlton will be hearing from more people this week re this incident.

Trust nothing falls down on anyone.

• Options
    buckshee said:
    Very worrying.
    Question, if my Aunty had a cock would she be my Uncle?
    Depends how they choose to identify.