Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DannyCAFC R.I.P. - funeral 6th Feb, details p5

edited January 2023 in General Charlton
I'm sorry to bring the sad news of the passing of my old friend and former Valley Party Candidate Danny Hayes.

Danny was 66 years old and passed away over the Christmas period due to a heart attack.

Danny, like the rest of his family, was Charlton through and through.  He attended his first game at The Valley in the 1950s. Danny and I spent many weekends (and weekdays) trekking up and down the country following The Addicks.  We sat together in row DD of the east stand.  We've clocked up over 70 different grounds watching Charlton over the years.  In the summer of 1988 we went to Germany to follow the Three Lions.  Three England games.  Three defeats but plenty of German beers in between matches.

Danny was also a member of the Valley Party in the 1990 local elections.  His Woolwich flat became the coordination hub and distribution point for election materials for the whole Woolwich and Plumstead area.  Danny stood as a candidate in the St Mary's ward and polled a respectable 315 votes.  When the Election count in Woolwich town hall had finished all participating Parties were invited say a few word to the media.  It was Danny who spoke on behalf of the Valley.  His final words were something along the lines of "This result shows that Charlton Football Club can no longer be treated as 'an irrelevance'" A remark pointed at the leaders of the local Labour party who promptly got up and walked out of the building.

Danny will be remembered by his many friends and family at The Valley.

Rest In Peace Danny.

Comments