Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

is anyone else giving it the big un?

Ok, it's been almost two decades since I could do it... i've got to admit, i've been surrounded with prem mates all my life and just for ONCE i'm engaging in some actual meaningful competitive banter.

Regardless of the league positions, does anyone else agree with me that it feels pretty fucking good to be able to do that again or is it just me?

Comments

• Options
    The big un about what ? 
  • Options
    i didn't say "lording it" i was saying actually having competitive banter instead of the usual "oh and who are charlton playing this week" 

eeehh forget it. Be miserable then
  • Options
    what a brilliant thread 👏
  • Options
    only joking mate. I’ve kept quiet. There’s a chance we could be on a double figure hiding here so I’m keeping my powder dry. Plus i’ve spent the last few months telling them how much I hate Charlton Athletic and how it’s basically ruined my life.

Win tomorrow however and I’ll be lifetime banned from all Whatsapp groups I reckon 
    look, i've obviously fucked up here and got over-excited the night before a big game. It has just been a long time since I could even be involved in the conversation football-wise with some of my prem team supporting mates. I assumed some others could empathise with that. sorry eveyone. nothing to see here
  • Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    only joking mate. I’ve kept quiet. There’s a chance we could be on a double figure hiding here so I’m keeping my powder dry. Plus i’ve spent the last few months telling them how much I hate Charlton Athletic and how it’s basically ruined my life.

Win tomorrow however and I’ll be lifetime banned from all Whatsapp groups I reckon 
    look, i've obviously fucked up here and got over-excited the night before a big game. It has just been a long time since I could even be involved in the conversation football-wise with some of my prem team supporting mates. I assumed some others could empathise with that. sorry eveyone. nothing to see here
    I think you were giving it the big ‘un in a post modern way. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah deffo been avin it large to all my mates, singing Who The Fuck Are Man United? And all that, whilst they, as a Man United fan from Cumbria, said they genuinely forgot we were even playing tomorrow and asked with a straight face if it's the first time Charlton have played at Old Trafford. He also can't name our manager or a single Charlton player, because why would he know that?

No of course I haven't been giving it large because in the world of football as it stands we are almost completely irrelevant, and the premier league bubble that the vast majority of fans find themselves in is completely baffled by anything outside of it. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    If you want it to come back and bite you on the arse then by all means give it the big un. 
    I’m fully expecting to get stuffed and anything less is a bonus . 
    I’m just going for the day out and my fourth time watching Charlton at Old Trafford ( including a win ) and my eldest son’s (19) first time watching Charlton play at a genuine top four Premier league club . 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Yeah deffo been avin it large to all my mates, singing Who The Fuck Are Man United? And all that, whilst they, as a Man United fan from Cumbria, said they genuinely forgot we were even playing tomorrow and asked with a straight face if it's the first time Charlton have played at Old Trafford. He also can't name our manager or a single Charlton player, because why would he know that?

No of course I haven't been giving it large because in the world of football as it stands we are almost completely irrelevant, and the premier league bubble that the vast majority of fans find themselves in is completely baffled by anything outside of it. 
    this is what i meant been doing the same
  • Options
    If you want it to come back and bite you on the arse then by all means give it the big un. 
    I’m just going for the day out and my fourth time watching Charlton at Old Trafford ( including one a win ) and my eldest son’s (19) first time watching Charlton play at a genuine top four Premier league club . 
    Yes it totally will bite me on the arse, but my point was in the last 15 years my united supporting mates couldn't give a crap, and the last 2 days they do - even if we have zero chance... well it must be 0.001 because at least we are having that banter. after the decade we have just had, at least i can have a friendly ten pound bet with mates about the outcome.. funnily enough nobody really cares about us beating Burton Albion
  • Options
    You've got to have a big un to be able to give the big un.
  • Options
    If Charlton beat Man United tonight in an excellent wonderful historic convincing cup upset, then you have every right to take the piss out of fellow prem supporting mates. 

A mid table league one club in the semi final of the carebo cup is something that is completely unheard of.

If we beat united, a copy of the match day programme will likely end up in the museum! 
  • Options
    I’m just going for the day out and my fourth time watching Charlton at Old Trafford ( including a win ) and my eldest son’s (19) first time watching Charlton play at a genuine top four Premier league club . 
    I always squirm at certain football chants that I feel are asking for it. 
  • Options
    No - I always steer the conversation back to Charlton no matter who I am talking to. Our ongoing soap opera/car crash is far more interesting than whatever Johnny-come-lately they have signed to play for them for the next eighteen months before he departs to a similar club elsewhere...  :D     
  • Options
    No. To be honest I’m dreading the scoreline. Of course I’m hoping for a miracle but……
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No. To be honest I’m dreading the scoreline. Of course I’m hoping for a miracle but……
    I think we should do the conga round Old Trafford if we are getting absolutely battered, and forget about the score.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    If Charlton beat Man United tonight in an excellent wonderful historic convincing cup upset, then you have every right to take the piss out of fellow prem supporting mates. 

A mid table league one club in the semi final of the carebo cup is something that is completely unheard of.

If we beat united, a copy of the match day programme will likely end up in the museum! 
    Bradford reaching the final from the 4th tier would be the last one I think?
  • Options
    Horrendous evening.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Bradford reaching the final from the 4th tier would be the last one I think?
    They beat Arsenal on pens in the 1/4 final at home
    and then done Villa 4-3 on aggregate in the semis
    before losing 5-0 to Swansea in the final

• Options
    There are loads of 'plastic' fans in the PL who know f*** all about football and will bail out on their club if they get relegated. 

Kelvin Mackenzie being the perfect example