Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man U game, TV money question

This is prompted by my brother texting me that he is going, but that its not on any TV channels, so he presumes I won’t be able to watch. I will, because it’s on Viaplay Sport, and my buddy’s son lends me his account details. Viaplay is a big Scandi TV company, looking to open up in the UK. They show a lot of English footie from all competitions, including Charlton games which are coverd by Sky. But not just those. It looks like they have bought a complete rights package for the Carabao Cup. I was able to enjoy the Brighton game, with Swedish commentary. 

So the question is , which English footie entity sold them the rights? My best guess is the FA. So what broadcast fee money will Charlton get from it?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    EFL sold the rights. Viaplay has been in the Uk for since November since they took over Premier Sports. 14.99 per month 
  • Options
    I would hazard a guess at diddly squat.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    EFL sold the rights. Viaplay has been in the Uk for since November since they took over Premier Sports. 14.99 per month 
    But of course barred from showing it to UK customers. Usual bollocks. 
  • Options
    Probably. But I'm interested to know if there is something. That something, say £20k, could help to pay for Valley Pass for another year. 

I now see that a lot of other usual suspects have the rights at least. DAZN (whom the German lads rely on, but they're all at OT this time) and BEIN sport, for example. It's a rights bundle with the league games. It may well be that it's just divved out among EFL clubs on a more less equal basis with nothing extra for being chosen for screening.
  • Options
    Probably. But I'm interested to know if there is something. That something, say £20k, could help to pay for Valley Pass for another year. 

I now see that a lot of other usual suspects have the rights at least. DAZN (whom the German lads rely on, but they're all at OT this time) and BEIN sport, for example. It's a rights bundle with the league games. It may well be that it's just divved out among EFL clubs on a more less equal basis with nothing extra for being chosen for screening.
    If it's not broadcast by Sky in the UK then I don't think that we receive any TV money. Even the competition prize money is awful, with last year's losing quarter-finalists receiving a whole £20k, losing semi-finalists £25k, runners-up £50k and winners £100k.
    We will have to be satisfied with 45% of the net ground receipts from Old Trafford.
  • Options
    This is prompted by my brother texting me that he is going, but that its not on any TV channels, so he presumes I won’t be able to watch. I will, because it’s on Viaplay Sport, and my buddy’s son lends me his account details. Viaplay is a big Scandi TV company, looking to open up in the UK. They show a lot of English footie from all competitions, including Charlton games which are coverd by Sky. But not just those. It looks like they have bought a complete rights package for the Carabao Cup. I was able to enjoy the Brighton game, with Swedish commentary. 

So the question is , which English footie entity sold them the rights? My best guess is the FA. So what broadcast fee money will Charlton get from it?
    The EFL would sell the rights for the EFL cup
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    But of course barred from showing it to UK customers. Usual bollocks. 
    Has to be barred as Sky have the exclusive rights to this competition in the UK
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

The EFL would sell the rights for the EFL cup
    Yep, @shirty5 corrected me on that earlier. Forgot that its the “EFL” Cup despite the presence of FAPL clubs. Negotiated by Pitch agency. I wonder then how much they give to the FAPL clubs, they won’t appear for free will they…

anyway looks we get nothing extra😡
  • Options
    More importantly how much will we earn in the semis?