Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overnight Stays for Away games

edited January 2023 in General Charlton
So what you done and where? Any good stories?

Last one I did I’m amazed to see was over 15 years ago now down at Southampton when Chris Iwelumo scored an injury time winner in 2007. Can still remember the look of disgust by @LargeAddick
when I was smoking in the blokes toilets on the concourse (strange the things you remember).

Other memorable ones for me were two great Manchester nights out for United and City (when the latter were at Maine Rd) early 2000s, Newcastle when we were at Sat 5.20 game, Blackpool when we got humped 5-3, an earlier Southampton one (the one that started our beef with them), Colchester when we got humped with Llera having a mare. Best game wise was a win up at Stoke which kick started our great run and Sachs’s clean sheets in the run up to the 98 play offs. 

Comments

• Options
    Newcastle was a bonkers place. Every pub from Sat lunchtime just seemed to be full of people all ages on it. First pub we walked into there were arm wrestling challenges going on 
  • Options
    That Yeovil away game when it somehow wasn't called off was my most memorable - Had travelled down the night before with a mate so we could start drinking early.

We must have been in the pub from about 10am, and was only when we walked out to the taxi that we realised how much it had already been raining (Had no idea it was evening lashing it down at that point)

Although do remember post match walking into an Asda, and there were a good amount of Charlton / Yeovil fans just wandering around trying to dry off for a bit - God knows how my mate didn't end up in hospital that night as well, we were walking back up the hill to the B&B after finally getting back to the original pub - He was a lot more pissed than me, and fell over into the road, managed to get him out of it just before a car came along!! 
  • Options
    Anyone thinking of doing an overnight in Exeter?
  • Options
    Hotels.com is your friend.

Bring me back a traditional pasty please.
  • Options
    Newcastle was a bonkers place. Every pub from Sat lunchtime just seemed to be full of people all ages on it. First pub we walked into there were arm wrestling challenges going on 
    2nd this 

sunderland away few seasons back 1st can cracked as we rolled out of kings x 6.30am 
  • Options
    We stayed down in Exeter, we were due to go to Spain for the weekend (football team lads) but the Icelandic ash cloud happened so a quick second choice was Exeter as we were playing that same weekend (must be 10+ years ago now). 

Booked a Jury's Inn about 10/15 min walk to the ground, great City and great place to drink.

On the Saturday morning we got up and had breakfast, then decided to take a stroll (to shake off the hangover) and to find the ground so as we'd know exactly where to go later. Found the ground and the gate was open, we wandered in and around - no one about at all, found a ball and went on the pitch, spent a good 5 mins swinging some crosses into each other before an irate groundsman told us to get off.

Pretty sure we lost the game but I actually have no real recollection of it at all as we started drinking again by midday
  • Options
    Ha, brilliant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I loved those days. 
  • Options

Last one I did I’m amazed to see was over 15 years ago now down at Southampton when Chris Iwelumo scored an injury time winner in 2007. Can still remember the look of disgust by @LargeAddick
    when I was smoking in the blokes toilets on the concourse (strange the things you remember).

Other memorable ones for me were two great Manchester nights out for United and City (when the latter were at Maine Rd) early 2000s, Newcastle when we were at Sat 5.20 game, Blackpool when we got humped 5-3, an earlier Southampton one (the one that started our beef with them), Colchester when we got humped with Llera having a mare. Best game wise was a win up at Stoke which kick started our great run and Sachs’s clean sheets in the run up to the 98 play offs. 
    Was at Blackpool too..  can't be 15 years ago can it. 
  • Options
    Bolton away but were staying in Manchester Piccadilly area

two of us had got back to the hotel after night out and were playing pool, third came in a bit disheveled and said he had been approached by two ladies of the night asking him he was looking for business. He said no, and they were flattering him saying he was too good looking to not get laid himself, all whilst taking his wallet, removing his cash and replacing the wallet. he wandered off and then realised his cash was gone, found the said women, and they just just said ' well we didn't nick your cards, as that would be out of order' 

He implored us to go back out with him, find the ladies and their pimp and ask them for his money back.

we continued our game our game of pool.
  • Options
    All aways for me  in the later years have been in my Motorhome. Rochdale I met up with Swedish Addicks (they didn't stay in the van before anyone asks), Shrewsbury play offs, Doncaster play offs. Wembley I stayed in Denham just few stops away from Wembley which was handy and there was another Addick on the same campsite from Portsmouth.... all pretty sedate for me as I gave up booze a few years ago. 
  • Options
    Stayed over in Chesterfield when we beat them 4-0 in Powell's promotion winning season.
  • Options
    did a weekend in Norwich (must be c13/14 years ago now?), remember it was St Georges Day, our hotel was full of Charlton, a very blurry weekend.

think it was the game the fella fell off the bridge or something next to the packed pub before the game???
  • Options
    Totnes is a nice place near there, good pubs in Kingsbridge too. 
  • Options
    did a weekend in Norwich (must be c13/14 years ago now?), remember it was St Georges Day, our hotel was full of Charlton, a very blurry weekend.

think it was the game the fella fell off the bridge or something next to the packed pub before the game???
    Yep, The Complete Angler was the pub. I think the guy broke his arm when he jumped into the river.
  • Options
    We stayed down there for pre season Friday night game in the early 90's and Gary Nelson got us in the players bar after the game. Alan Ball was their manager at the time and we had a great chat with him.
  • Options
    Only one that stands out was the Tuesday night game away at Leicester 2013 Danny Haynes came on and scored with his first touch. Remember winding up the Leicester fans about Kermorgant on the way out.
    Went out on the town afterwards but the clubs weren’t letting us in as it was students night. Managed to sweet talk a bouncer who got us in. Every drink was £1. You name it. £1. Got absolutely plastered. Remember falling out the cab when we got back to the hotel, then running straight to the toilet to chuck my guts up, couldn’t get it all up so stuck my fingers down in to the sick ridden toilet bowl then back down my throat. My mate was like WTF have I just witnessed. Don’t think I’ve drunk that much since. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Done Newcastle a couple of times for a change we stayed in Darlo had a great time, for Blackburn stayed in Clitheroe, Norwich stayed in Wroxham and Derby stayed in Matlock Bath. Went to Liverpool a few times and stopped in Southport for a few nights on one occasion all great weekends away. Also Manchester several times (inc Bolton in QF) on one occasion we bumped into the wife's cousins (same hotel...they are MU) who were over from Dublin celebrating the younger ones 21st birthday.
  • Options
    Often did up north away over nighters. 
    Memorable ones for various reasons: 
    Middlesbrough away. Stayed in Darlington by that huge pub. Table dancing northerners and ambulances 
    Leeds away met a mate in Rochdale then met Abs and @Medders in Leeds. Abs can’t bear Leeds and they were hungover from cocktail drinking the night before as I recall. 
    Liverpool with @Curb_It  bagpipe request in arkles 
    norwich with @Curb_It and friends and deserting them and going to a club with others and B coming to find me in another room the next morning! 
    newcastle stayed with mate then met up with everyone at game and on the boat!
    walsall called off in snow stayed at mates in midlands 
    Blackpool……too many memorable things. Inflatable Fish. No coat @WSS. @Stu_of_Kunming @palarsehater (I think) @DaveStorry on dancefloor and @Gumbo tricking me into paying for cab to hotel. I was like a holiday rep that weekend with the itinerary. Kebab in porch of hotel and lost shoes at breakfast. 
    Darlo is good....got a bus to Bernard Castle why we were there....nice part of the world.
  • Options
    nearly always make it a long weekend for away as well as Valley games, all over the country .. my interests are more to do with local museums, galleries, places of interest and occasionally a music gig etc. ..
     But since the pandemic, hotel prices have at least doubled as have train tickets and petrol prices increased some 50% .. my away trips have been far fewer this season ..  I have a few aways booked; Posh, Derby, MK, Ipswich, Bristol and plan to come to the Valley for the Barnsley game .. assuming the trains are running and that this flu/cold/fuckmeupbug that's had me staggering since mid December clears up .. we will see
  • Options
    TEL said:

Was at Blackpool too..  can't be 15 years ago can it. 

Afraid yes Tel, Feb 2008. Think we were both staying in the same hotel as the team. 
  • Options
    Done many an overnight stay for Charlton.
    Some of the best has to be Wolverhampton mid 90s John De Wolf , Blackpool coming back from Carlisle 86 and Liverpool for Wigan 2006. Last time I stayed over car broke down up north another person had booked up same room as us ,had to find another place to stay. I arrived home 3 days later having left car in garage.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    James86 said:
    Only one that stands out was the Tuesday night game away at Leicester 2013 Danny Haynes came on and scored with his first touch. Remember winding up the Leicester fans about Kermorgant on the way out.
    Went out on the town afterwards but the clubs weren’t letting us in as it was students night. Managed to sweet talk a bouncer who got us in. Every drink was £1. You name it. £1. Got absolutely plastered. Remember falling out the cab when we got back to the hotel, then running straight to the toilet to chuck my guts up, couldn’t get it all up so stuck my fingers down in to the sick ridden toilet bowl then back down my throat. My mate was like WTF have I just witnessed. Don’t think I’ve drunk that much since. 
    WTAF?

anyhow, off top of my head done overnighters or weekenders in Sheffield, Huddersfield, Bath for Bristol Rovers, Nottingham, Brighton, Portsmouth, West Brom, Preston, Chesterfield, Swansea, Blackpool, Burnley, Derby and at City/United staying in Chorlton, Didsbury and on one occasion Harpughey. Harpughey is/was straight out of the ‘chatsworth estate’ mould only less believable.
    the landlady of a boozer wouldn’t let us walk back to our hotel as one of her regulars was found dead in the boot of a car parked opposite it a few weeks prior. Before we knew this, the previous evening I went inside a pizza/kebab place while my other half waited outside and had a cigarette. A group of girls, no older than 13 were discussing graphically within earshot of my other half how they were going to, let’s just say sexually gratify me.
    That was our only stay in Harpughey.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/gossipsclub - Sheffield United - 2014 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    One Manchester trip we were staying at The Dolby, which was a bit of dump off of Deansgate (now called Stay Inn). Along with our group, there was another Charlton group staying including @Covered End  and @EastTerrace

We got back late one night after a club and they were still up in the bar so joined them. They had some wind up going on where one of them was burning something with a lighter and then rubbing their healing fingers across the others face. Or something like that. What he never knew was 
    he was getting black soot rubbed all over his face. This went on for ages and he looked like he’d worked a 10hr shift down a mine but was none the wiser. 

Had to be there. Remember that either of you?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Last time I stayed away was when we won 1-0 at Sheffield Wednesday - Johnny Jackson with a free kick. When we scored, some bloke hugged me and said something like, "Did you see that, Brian?" I explained I was not Brian. He looked surprised and apologised for hugging me. If you're on CL, own up!
  • Options
    One Manchester trip we were staying at The Dolby, which was a bit of dump off of Deansgate (now called Stay Inn). Along with our group, there was another Charlton group staying including @Covered End  and @EastTerrace

We got back late one night after a club and they were still up in the bar so joined them. They had some wind up going on where one of them was burning something with a lighter and then rubbing their healing fingers across the others face. Or something like that. What he never knew was 
    he was getting black soot rubbed all over his face. This went on for ages and he looked like he’d worked a 10hr shift down a mine but was none the wiser. 

Had to be there. Remember that either of you?
    Oh yes, great night.