Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Own goals..........what’s going on

I don’t watch much live football just hi lights on Match of the Day 2 and the Football League show. Every week without fail I witness half a dozen “goals” awarded to players when clearly they are obvious own goals.

This week Dack (Blackburn) and Bradshaw (Millwall) top the lot.

Why is this happening, are the football authorities cleaning the game up to avoid players being embarrassed when scoring an own goal?

Comments

• Options
    the first Fulham goal the other day has been corrected to a JWP own goal, it can take time to amend
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    the first Fulham goal the other day has been corrected to a JWP own goal, it can take time to amend
    I appreciate if there is an element of doubt it needs to be looked at but most are very, very clear cut.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    That one was given as a JWP own goal on MOTD that evening. From memory I don't think the original shot was on target
  • Options
    I don’t watch much live football just hi lights on Match of the Day 2 and the Football League show. Every week without fail I witness half a dozen “goals” awarded to players when clearly they are obvious own goals.

This week Dack (Blackburn) and Bradshaw (Millwall) top the lot.

Why is this happening, are the football authorities cleaning the game up to avoid players being embarrassed when scoring an own goal?
    They haven't credited Bradshaw with the 3rd, have they? His shot was hitting the corner flag before it deflected off of Humphreys.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    Watching the highlights, Dack's shot was on target, so rightfully given to him

Bradshaw wasn't credited with the deflected goal, as it was off target.
  • Options

Dack’s shot was on target however it was heading straight for the goalkeeper who had it covered. The heavy deflection wrong footed the keeper resulting in a goal......in my eyes an own goal.

• Options
    Before TV anal analysing to the nth degree, it always used to be that if the defender actively moved towards or played the ball it was counted as an own goal. Otherwise goals with flukey deflections without movement by the defender were normally credited to the attacker who made the original shot.

• Options
    Leaburn Snr "scored" a goal up at Villa Park which was heading for the corner flag before being deflected in. Think we need to expunge that goal off the record then. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaburn Snr "scored" a goal up at Villa Park which was heading for the corner flag before being deflected in. Think we need to expunge that goal off the record then. 
    It's Leaburn's goal if it ricocheted off an unaware defender.

• Options
    Take a look at Chairs goal in the week against Sheff United.
  • Options
    The Rooney one in Euro 2004 is still absurd. Take it off him in retrospect someone I beg
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The Rooney one in Euro 2004 is still absurd. Take it off him in retrospect someone I beg
    Why?

The defender doesn't want it on his stats.

Especially not to please the anal nearly 20 years later 🙄
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Why?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Why?

It's the goalkeeper, and why? Because it was a damned own goal obviously
  • Options
    It was nearly 20 years ago Leuthy

Nobody cares anymore. 😍
  • Options

Dack’s shot was on target however it was heading straight for the goalkeeper who had it covered. The heavy deflection wrong footed the keeper resulting in a goal......in my eyes an own goal.

Yes but the criteria is the shot was on target. We can't assume the keeper would save it even though he probably would have.
  • Options

Yes but the criteria is the shot was on target. We can't assume the keeper would save it even though he probably would have.
    The criteria sucks, it’s just a way of defenders avoiding having a list of own goals against them.