Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vets

It's a disgrace what they charge... had to take my boy vets this morning as howled in pain last night and was shaking bad. Eventually got him settled early hours of morning, but was same in morning when woke up so took him to vets, think he might of sprained his neck, or slipped dic again(so hope not) well he got 4 lots of medicine for now and see how that goes... costing £190  plus day before took to get antibiotics as has infection in ear that cost £103... it's ridiculous the prices but they have you over a barrel ☹️☹️

Comments

• Options
    They’re modern day highwaymen mate. We paid around £600 for an op on our fairly young cat a few years ago that didn’t work. Took it back after a couple of days and the same guy told us it was probably best to have him put down and that the op we’d paid for wasn’t guaranteed. Charged us for putting him down and around £50 for disposing of it. Had the fucking cheek to ask if we wanted to pay over double that to have a single cremation of the body and the ashes back. Took all my control to not head butt the thieving c***.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Thankfully we have the NHS, or theres no way you could afford to get ill.
  • Options
    Pet insurance is the only way to go, mine had a couple of x rays and an MRI for a possible hind leg issue with her patella and all we paid was the £69 excess of the 3.2k bill (obviously pay over £100 a month for my 2 but it still works out a lot cheaper)
  • Options
    Yes got insurance on mine, but most times u have to pay up front, and then wait for the pay out,,,  which can be a pain 
  • Options
    Both Bailey and Xena cost us just under £400 each to have single cremation and their ashes returned home. 
    What annoyed me was the persistence of the vet to a £250 course of jabs for Bailey which would given him zero improvement in his quality of life but would have made us delay our decision for a month to six weeks.
    Incidentally, by not insuring our dogs for the last seven years but saving 50% of a £600 a month premium we saved £22,000 to a separate account which was never needed. 
    Our Therapy dogs have a separate liability insurance for working with the public of around £70 per month which when you consider my house and car combined cost around £35 a month is a joke.
    We also stopped filling our dogs with manufactured foods and drugs and since 2016 none of  our dogs had visited a vet other than Bowyer to be Neutered last year all of which we believe has helped them. 

• Options
    They’re modern day highwaymen mate. We paid around £600 for an op on our fairly young cat a few years ago that didn’t work. Took it back after a couple of days and the same guy told us it was probably best to have him put down and that the op we’d paid for wasn’t guaranteed. Charged us for putting him down and around £50 for disposing of it. Had the fucking cheek to ask if we wanted to pay over double that to have a single cremation of the body and the ashes back. Took all my control to not head butt the thieving c***.
    That's terrible, I think it's disgusting what they charge 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Pet insurance is the only way to go, mine had a couple of x rays and an MRI for a possible hind leg issue with her patella and all we paid was the £69 excess of the 3.2k bill (obviously pay over £100 a month for my 2 but it still works out a lot cheaper)
    We pay over £100 per month for our two Border Terriers insurance. More than our home insurance and two cars combined on a annual basis. Worth though if anything serious were ever to happen.
  • Options
    Fitzgeralds in Catford are pretty good. Allpets in Petts Wood used to be good but now just try and milk you for every penny they can. My mum's dog was clearly on his way out and they suggested a £400 liver scan. She can afford it, but as expected it was a pointless exercise. They prey on the owners' love for their pets.
    Pet insurance is definitely the way forward though. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Both Bailey and Xena cost us just under £400 each to have single cremation and their ashes returned home. 
    What annoyed me was the persistence of the vet to a £250 course of jabs for Bailey which would given him zero improvement in his quality of life but would have made us delay our decision for a month to six weeks.
    Incidentally, by not insuring our dogs for the last seven years but saving 50% of a £600 a month premium we saved £22,000 to a separate account which was never needed. 
    Our Therapy dogs have a separate liability insurance for working with the public of around £70 per month which when you consider my house and car combined cost around £35 a month is a joke.
    We also stopped filling our dogs with manufactured foods and drugs and since 2016 none of  our dogs had visited a vet other than Bowyer to be Neutered last year all of which we believe has helped them. 

Do u mind me asking what you feed them on, and when we got geordie, from battersea they told us he is also a therapy dog
  • Options
    We’ve raw fed our dogs for the past seven years, it came about after Bailey developed allergies to something unknown and after 10 months of treatment cost £1400 he was no better, I was was told about a homeopathic treatment where a hair sample was tested for £15. The results came through when I was at Gatwick waiting for a flight, I immediately phoned the lady who bred our dogs and told her not to feed the grub we’d supplied so she weaned him onto raw a little quicker than would normally be done. On our return Bailey’s improvement in condition was remarkable although the hair loss was still in recovery, the spark was back in his eyes and the lethargy was gone. I went back to the vet the following day with Bailey, the vet completely disregarded any improvement saying “that’s rubbish” 
    We’ve not fed our dogs from a packet or a tin since then, even their treats are natural, carrots or liver cake. 
    Finding an independent vet not owned by a group that is backed by the pharmaceutical or processed food manufacturers is so hard these days so it’s not hard to see what influences decisions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They have you by the short and curlies. Once a pet has been treated for some condition you won’t be able to switch insurers without losing cover for that condition. You’re stuck with you insurers. As the animal gets older the premiums go up and up and up. We had to buy from our vet a bottle of painkiller for our dog. £18 it was. The ingredients are exactly Calpol. Paracetamol in Suspension. Robbing bastards but if you’ve got a pet you’re morally obligated to make sure it’s going to get the care it needs. 
  • Options
    Billyboy said:
    T_C_E said:

Do u mind me asking what you feed them on, and when we got geordie, from battersea they told us he is also a therapy dog
    Mackems.
  • Options
    They have you by the short and curlies. Once a pet has been treated for some condition you won’t be able to switch insurers without losing cover for that condition. You’re stuck with you insurers. As the animal gets older the premiums go up and up and up. We had to buy from our vet a bottle of painkiller for our dog. £18 it was. The ingredients are exactly Calpol. Paracetamol in Suspension. Robbing bastards but if you’ve got a pet you’re morally obligated to make sure it’s going to get the care it needs. 
    When Bailey was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism his premium went up to £160 per month yet the policy never covered him for that or any associated illnesses. 
    Our dogs first aid kit is full of human remedies, savlon, TCP, Serrapetase which incidentally is what I take for my arthritis too, Serrapet which has a chicken flavour was priced around £20 per month 30 tabs, while 360 tabs serrapetase is £15. 
    Your dog has the s***s  and he’s normally very healthy, starve him for 24 hours then boiled chicken and rice see how he does, it’s hardly rocket science if I’m not sure I speak to more experienced pals then if need be go to the vet with the information.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    We had to take one of our cats to the Vet the week before last. She’d led a healthy life for 17 years and then over night, she stopped eating, drinking, using her litter tray and started going into hiding. From experience, we knew that something wasn’t right.

We took he to the vets and after investigation, the vet told us they’d like to admit her into the hospital, put her on a drip, take bloods and she how she was the next day. The cost … £800. 

My gut feeling was that they knew the situation was irrecoverable and I wasn’t convinced that the vet was being truthful so I asked for a second opinion. Luckily, the most senior vet in the practice was on duty and her recommendation was that Skittle be put to sleep. She said she was fairly sure it was kidney failure and no stay in hospital would change the prognosis.

What I didn’t like was the pressure to sign the consent forms whilst you’re saying goodbye to what, to all intents and purposes, is a member of the family and then asking to help the vet put her to sleep. One of the traumatic experiences I’ve been through in recent years.

Cost of cremation was £295. 

It’s a racket, I tell thee
    Horrible experience 
  • Options
    what's happened to the PDSA ? .. or insurance with (e.g.) Pets in a  Pickle ?
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    We had to take one of our cats to the Vet the week before last. She’d led a healthy life for 17 years and then over night, she stopped eating, drinking, using her litter tray and started going into hiding. From experience, we knew that something wasn’t right.

We took he to the vets and after investigation, the vet told us they’d like to admit her into the hospital, put her on a drip, take bloods and she how she was the next day. The cost … £800. 

My gut feeling was that they knew the situation was irrecoverable and I wasn’t convinced that the vet was being truthful so I asked for a second opinion. Luckily, the most senior vet in the practice was on duty and her recommendation was that Skittle be put to sleep. She said she was fairly sure it was kidney failure and no stay in hospital would change the prognosis.

What I didn’t like was the pressure to sign the consent forms whilst you’re saying goodbye to what, to all intents and purposes, is a member of the family and then asking to help the vet put her to sleep. One of the traumatic experiences I’ve been through in recent years.

Cost of cremation was £295. 

It’s a racket, I tell thee
    Horrible experience 
  • Options
    I remember when Bailey was tiny, 3 months old maybe. We’d come home after shopping and he came to see us and toppled over, not just once he could barely stand.
    We still lived in London then and we immediately called the vet at 7.30 in the evening it went to out of hours service which was the local PDSA I was told to monitor him for 3 hours and if no change to bring him in after 10.30 which I ended up doing. 
    Sitting with him in the waiting room, glancing round reading all the adverts as you do, I stumbled across the out of hours price list which increased from £50 to £160 per consultation at ( you guessed it) 10.30. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    At least we know vet's won't ever go on strike, I just think it's totally wrong at the prices they charge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I make you right, normally when registering it’s one of the first questions asked.
    ”Is your Animal insured” 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I make you right, normally when registering it’s one of the first questions asked.
    ”Is your Animal insured” 
    Like the old days when you had damage to a car and you took it to a garage for repair. First question “ On insurance?”
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    To uninsured pet owners with animals on long term medication don't get the medication from the vets, ask for a private prescription and buy online from companies like VioVet or Ani-med, a prescription cost about £15.00 and normally last for 3 repete prescriptions, the pills my dog is on are a third of the price that the vet charges.  My vet runs an independent practice in Abbey Wood who I have known for over 20 years, and always seems embarrassed who when presenting the bill.
    A good shout that unsurprisingly is not mentioned by the profession, lifetime drugS can be bought online.
    We used vet365 for Bailey’s prescription for Thyforon paying 30p per tablet up against 97p from a vet. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    T_C_E said:

We self insure putting £40 aside each month and we have saved around £1.5k towards any fees at this point. Could work for us or against us (If JJ got something serious) but seeing as we have been doing for around three years, and he is healthy, it seems to be working for us. Also we include the fees insurance wouldn't pay like the annual booster and check up, his Rabies jab for going abroad and the paperwork for that too from the pot.

We prepare JJs meals also, not buying much manufactured stuff but he does have Iams maybe once or twice a week.
  • Options
    Try getting insurance for an ex battery hen 😐
  • Options
    I bet they really charge for that ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I've never bothered with insurance for any of my cats, and that's from someone who's worked their whole life in Insurance!

Had some big bills, my last cat went through some Chemo at £675 a shot x 10, but then if I added up 30 years worth, 7 cats and how much I would have paid in insurance I'm still quids in by not taking it I'm sure.

Maybe I've been lucky but the vets I've used have always been really good. Sure never cheap, but then that's private medical for you. I've never felt like I've been 'done'.
  • Options
    Everyone moans about insurance until they need it. 

Our dog is 7 and when she was two had big problem with her spine where she suddenly couldn’t move back legs. Local pets at home said they wouldn’t be operate on that and to take her to some big vet surgery in Potters Bar. Bill came to about 6k and we only paid 500 thanks to insurance. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I suppose there's positives and negatives with battery hens?