Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

Comments

• edited December 2022
    I don't know but if the ice is cleared from the walkways, by early afternoon tomorrow you would think they will be safe. If the undersoil heating is operational, what is the point of it if the pitch is frozen? Whilst it is going to be cold tonight, I don't think it is going to be cold like it has been. I hope not as in the early hours of yesterday and today I have had to drive to my mums to get her gas boiler going again.
  • Having just wandered down to the shop... Floyd Road looks reasonably clear, so is Charlton Church Lane, but the pavements everywhere else are not good.

Pitch heaters are clearly on at The Valley.
  • If the game is a serious doubt, it is fairer to Rovers to call it off today. If it isn't called off tonight, I suspect it is going ahead.
  • seth plum said:
    I think it is an age thing. Round here the young ones sprint along and then do a standing slide which makes the black and white ice more slippery.
    A fall at my age could easily be a broken bone or two which would take months to heal. After adding to NHS burdens as well.
    My advice to everybody is don’t get any older.
    Mate (mid 30's) slipped over the other day and broke his shoulder.
  • No way that pitch is playable 
  • Surely the boiler has to be able to get sufficiently hot water in the pipes. You would think a boiler fit for a five story building would be up to the job, although I am not a boiler engineer.
  • Some ice around the streets shouldn't matter - and I walk with a stick and it's not easy on an icy pavement. We can all take responsibility for ourselves. But of course the pitch needs to be playable, and hopefully it will be, fingers crossed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• You would expect they turn the boiler on over night. Probably not much point doing it early and waiting for it to freeze again.
  • what kind of update even is this; "The pitch was inspected at 4:30 this afternoon" Yes AND?? Was it playable or not? Are you doing a second inspection tomorrow to ensure the ground is still the same condition, or in the hope that it will improve? 

• Not sure what people expect. The weather is still very cold but is forecast to be above freezing from early morning ie. Improving. But we don’t control the weather. 

The pitch isn’t currently a write off and they are trying to get it played. 

If they wanted it off they would have done less to keep it on. It’s a cost to call it off especially if we have incurred expense in under soil heating / blowers etc. 

Quite usual for a further pitch inspection as I recall. 
  • what kind of update even is this; "The pitch was inspected at 4:30 this afternoon" Yes AND?? Was it playable or not? Are you doing a second inspection tomorrow to ensure the ground is still the same condition, or in the hope that it will improve? 

^^^ this
  • I walked around the ground yesterday and whilst the pavements and roads are clear in some places, there is still plenty of snow and ice. You have to tread carefully. It may improve a little today and Saturday will be warming up to 7C but it could still be only 4 or 5C at 11am for an inspection. What might help is the prospect of a tiny pre-Christmas gate...

Is that the one they installed for Elfsberg?
  • That's no bloody good - at what time in the morning are they going to have the inspection and when will they announce what's happening?

I have to leave home around 10am to get down to Charlton and be parked in time for kick-off and I suspect the Gasheads have to leave earlier than that.

I don't want to have driven nearly 100 miles to find out the game's called off and have to turn round and go home.
    Our pal who lives in Coventry & usually travels south by train/stays overnight but scuppered by yet another train strike has been forced to come by coach.

The only available one he was able to book for tomorrow's match leaves Coventry at 1am.....

...and he won't be able to book into his hotel until after the match. 
  • Oh well . At least the Pakistan V England test match won't be called off. 
  • seth plum said:
    I think it is an age thing. Round here the young ones sprint along and then do a standing slide which makes the black and white ice more slippery.
    A fall at my age could easily be a broken bone or two which would take months to heal. After adding to NHS burdens as well.
    My advice to everybody is don’t get any older.
    So live fast, die young?
  • Crusty54 said:
    Why can't the clubs agree to move the game, especially loads will not turn up due to the rail strikes. 
    Change the date tomorrow, the day before? 
    If the pitch is playable the game must go ahead.
    Games have been previously called off because the streets outside were dangerous
    Home to West Ham about 20 years ago?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    The snow would actually have been an insulator. Without it the ground would in fact freeze more... Weirdly.
    We’ll have no science thanks very much, just ignorant uninformed comment.
  • Not sure what people expect. The weather is still very cold but is forecast to be above freezing from early morning ie. Improving. But we don’t control the weather. 

The pitch isn’t currently a write off and they are trying to get it played. 

If they wanted it off they would have done less to keep it on. It’s a cost to call it off especially if we have incurred expense in under soil heating / blowers etc. 

Quite usual for a further pitch inspection as I recall. 
    To be fair, there is a lot more information in this comment than in the official update - all they have said is the pitch has been inspected - nothing about the current condition of the pitch, when a second inspection will take place (other than "in the morning") or even what actions are currently being undertaken to ensure the match goes ahead (e.g are they using the undersoil heating or not?)

I'm sure it is quite usual in the conditions to have multiple inspections, but not adequately explaining (or explaining at all) the outcome I would suggest is not usual or proper at all.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Why can't the clubs agree to move the game, especially loads will not turn up due to the rail strikes. 
    Change the date tomorrow, the day before? 
    If the pitch is playable the game must go ahead.
    Games have been previously called off because the streets outside were dangerous
    Home to West Ham about 20 years ago?
    That was because of a water logged pitch, the heavens opened about an hour before the game.
  • Just as well JS wasn't a fan in those days with his aim ! 
  • And if the undersoil heating has never been used or tested, you could end up with 80% of the pitch being fine, but the other 20% unplayable if it doesn't full work.
  • Given how aimless and potless we are on and off the pitch, the boiler system doesn't feel like something that will have been prioritised & tested. 

Unless Mr Keohane learned how to run under soil heating whilst managing The Emirates.
  • Why are you no longer optimistic? Is the undersoil heating working or not?