Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Wilko Johnson

2»

Comments

• Options
    So sad at this. I know it shouldn't be a surprise and I hated seeing the Wilko thread come to the top of the Charlton Life pile because I always feared the worst. Great musician and a top bloke. RIP.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    https://youtu.be/LeoKCJNI-k4

Wilko and Roger Daltrey - Going Back Home

Love this video.
  • Options
    Great entertainer with personality. RIP. So sad
  • Options

Love this video.
    That track and the album it's from (same name) are both  tremendous.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    what a phenomenal band DF were - the YouTube video of their opening few songs in Southend is as visceral as rock and roll gets!

https://youtu.be/GzF0AETdRF8
  • Options
    RIP. Great guitarist. Saw him back in the early 80s at the Tramshed. Last time I saw him was supporting Stranglers at UEA in Norwich. 
  • Options
    RIP Wilko. True guitar legend and great performer. Saw Dr. Feel good many times and Down By The Jetty is still regularly listened to by me. She Does It Right with that Wilko guitar is fabulous. RIP
  • Options
    Oh bloody hell this is sad news.  My in-laws used to love Dr Feelgood.  He was supposed to be doing a gig sometime around/after xmas in London that my bro-in-law was taking his Mum and my wife to in honour of their Dad.

RIP Wilko
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Very sad news.  Saw Wilco and the solid Senders at a student gig at Thames Poly many years ago. I'll always remember the first time I saw the feelgoods on TV.  Someone posted the clip earlier in the thread.  It was a program called "The Geordie scene". I could never work out how a band from Essex got on to this show.  I'm glad they did, they really owned the stage that day.
    RIP Wilco.
  • Options
    Very sad news.  Saw Wilco and the solid Senders at a student gig at Thames Poly many years ago. I'll always remember the first time I saw the feelgoods on TV.  Someone posted the clip earlier in the thread.  It was a program called "The Geordie scene". I could never work out how a band from Essex got on to this show.  I'm glad they did, they really owned the stage that day.
    RIP Wilco.
    Dr Feelgood were the first band me and my mates got into as a kid. So much energy and character.

Bought blues to life in the UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sad, he put so much energy and love into the music he played, he even managed to defy death for a good while while he continued touring and playing great rock n roll.
  • Options
    Amazing talent; one of a kind - we won't see his like again.

RIP
  • Options
    I was playing the Daltrey album and Doctor Feelgood albums all day yesterday. YouTube took a bashing as well, one where he is giving a masterclass on his guitar style. One of a kind and a hugely underrated guitarist. 

RIP Wilko - you made the most of that extra time you were given.
  • Options
    Shame. All the best Wilko - RIP
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Came home from school one day in the early-ish '70s, turned on the telly and Dr Feelgood were on some kids music show.  Blew my tiny mind.  I only saw Wilko live once but he was superb.  RIP.

Edit: the TV appearance must have been The Geordie Scene performance mentioned above.
  • Options

Love this video.
    Not just Wilko and Roger but Norman Watt-Roy, bass player from The Blockheads.
  • Options
    I remember seeing this clip a couple of years back, really good.👍🏻
  • Options
    I watched Oil City Confidential last night, a cracking documentary by Julien Temple with lots of Wilko input. Mrs Brilleaux Snr is the real star though.
  • Options

Love this video.
    Not just Wilko and Roger but Norman Watt-Roy, bass player from The Blockheads.
    And the drummer is Dylan Howe, son of guitarist Steve of Yes fame, who also joined The Blockheads albeit only a few years before the death of Ian Dury and some 20 years after the original band's formation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tom Robinson on Radio 6 at the moment doing a tribute show to Wilko.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I was playing the Daltrey album and Doctor Feelgood albums all day yesterday. YouTube took a bashing as well, one where he is giving a masterclass on his guitar style. One of a kind and a hugely underrated guitarist. 

RIP Wilko - you made the most of that extra time you were given.
    That masterclass is a classic - as a guitarist myself I tried to copy it and I can tell you he makes it look so easy but there was only one Wilko Johnson!