Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sugar Daddy

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Its clear from all the cutbacks that we're not in the strongest financial position at the moment, and its also safe to say that most of the older hands on the board are probably reaching the end of what they want to chuck into the business. Certainly on more than one occassion senior board people have said if there is anyone out there looking to invest.....

Alan Sugar has just sold Amstrad to Sky, netting £35m for himself. This on top of the £25m he netted for selling his Spurs shares last month, so his coffers have been boosted by £60m in the past 4 weeks.

Him and Richard Murray's businesses have been in similar technology areas in the past, i wonder if there is much of a relationship between the two, and i wonder what others reckon he could if he was approached to become a board member. I think he would have a fair bit to offer.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Sugar daddy set me free, sugar daddy comfort me....

How about Bernie Ecclestone apparantly went to the Woolwich Poly school according to me ma. Lived in Bexleyheath.
  • wasnt murray in Oil or was that Simons?
  • Talking about football relationships, my Jills pal who I went with on Saturday said David Gold & Scally are very close, so much so that Gold went to Jills Player of the Year doo....very odd eh.

Maybe Sir Alan can say the immortal lines to MynameisMarcus...

YOU'RE A LIGHTWEIGHT, YOU'RE FIRED!
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Sugar daddy set me free, sugar daddy comfort me....

How about Bernie Ecclestone apparantly went to the Woolwich Poly school according to me ma. Lived in Bexleyheath.

Had his first motorbike shop in Welling.
  • AS is getting on a bit and I doubt he would want the hassle of gettting invovlved in another club now.
  • Didn't Alan Sugar open his first shop in Bexleyheath?
  • I have been thinking about this recently.Are we as fans content and happy with the board (let's be truthfully honest they have done a magnificent job) or do we need someone like the Portsmouth,Villa and Man City chairman to chuck money at it.Let's be honest if we had this last season we probably would have stayed up like West Ham and Portsmouth the previous season.Personally I am undecided as we owe so much to the present board,however it seems if we are to regain and sustain a position in the Premier League we need a wealthy benefactor.
  • If there are interested parties then I hope the board would sell up as it must be costing murray and co a bomb.
  • I prefer evolution to revolution, or if a rich benefactor comes in then he (or she) will be a fan.

Portsmouth have gone throught two rich benefactors in recent years, Man City have someone who is a crook and had be removed from office by the army and is wanted in his country on fraud charges, while Aston Villa have the type of sugar daddy who most likely had to be told that Aston Villa played in Birmingham.

Saying that if we do get promoted again we'll find around half the Premiership teams owned by people for whom money is no object and that puts us at a disadvantage, I just don't want us to become a corporate football club with mercanaries masquerading as a team.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I have been thinking about this recently.Are we as fans content and happy with the board (let's be truthfully honest they have done a magnificent job) or do we need someone like the Portsmouth,Villa and Man City chairman to chuck money at it.Let's be honest if we had this last season we probably would have stayed up like West Ham and Portsmouth the previous season.Personally I am undecided as we owe so much to the present board,however it seems if we are to regain and sustain a position in the Premier League we need a wealthy benefactor.

Interesting thoughts. The way football is splitting now, you're either going to have to jump on the yacht, or stay happy in your trawler on the proviso that you're never likely to sail in bigger waters.

I'm at the stage were i'm genuinely happy plodding along in our trawler, occassionaly cutting up a yacht. No guarantee i might feel very different in 2 or 3 years time though when we are continuing to get splashed though....
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I prefer evolution to revolution, or if a rich benefactor comes in then he (or she) will be a fan.

Portsmouth have gone throught two rich benefactors in recent years, Man City have someone who is a crook and had be removed from office by the army and is wanted in his country on fraud charges, while Aston Villa have the type of sugar daddy who most likely had to be told that Aston Villa played in Birmingham.

Saying that if we do get promoted again we'll find around half the Premiership teams owned by people for whom money is no object and that puts us at a disadvantage, I just don't want us to become a corporate football club with mercanaries masquerading as a team.

Sums my view up perfectly
  • I am definately in favor of the current owners, as has been said they have done a great job over the years. Much better than some of the dodgy owners of some of the clubs. In the last years accounts (2005/6 season) the shareholders put in £5M of their own money to balance the books so their financial commitment is there. They must have stumped up much of the £11M Dowie spent.
    The club is pretty much free of debt and the ground is ours.
    If Abramovitch was to get bored of Chelsea they would fall to pieces more spectacularly than Leeds United.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Sugar daddy set me free, sugar daddy comfort me....

I believe he supports the gooners.
  • the land is owned by the Murray family.
  • Ecclestone goes to Chelsea i dont think he is a fan of any team.
  • edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

Interesting thoughts. The way football is splitting now, you're either going to have to jump on the yacht, or stay happy in your trawler on the proviso that you're never likely to sail in bigger waters.

There is no answer to that : - )
  • I think we have to face facts, by the time we return to the Prem, virtually all the clubs will be owned by rich businessmen be they Russian mafiosi, or sharp-suited Yanks. For us to compete on anything like a level playing field with average Prem teams, we are going to have to get some serious additional investors from somewhere. If we don't then we'll have to contend ourselves by being a well run yo-yo club. I can cope with either.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I have been thinking about this recently.Are we as fans content and happy with the board (let's be truthfully honest they have done a magnificent job) or do we need someone like the Portsmouth,Villa and Man City chairman to chuck money at it.Let's be honest if we had this last season we probably would have stayed up like West Ham and Portsmouth the previous season.Personally I am undecided as we owe so much to the present board,however it seems if we are to regain and sustain a position in the Premier League we need a wealthy benefactor.

I'm at the stage were i'm genuinely happy plodding along in our trawler, occassionaly cutting up a yacht. No guarantee i might feel very different in 2 or 3 years time though when we are continuing to get splashed though....

You been playing with your toys in the bath again?
  • edited July 2007
  • That's a good point AFKA, hadn't put the two together.

To my mind, whether Sugar gets back into football depends on how deep football is in his blood and i'd question that.

Any involement in our board would have to be instigated by Richard Murray, It's possible Murray may have more than passing relationship with him. Given Sugar's increasing involvement in the media maybe another particular Director/fan might be a useful tool, but can't see him being interested in anything less than a Premiership club.

Interesting!!
  • Sponsored links:

• these 'foreign' investors aren't in it for the love of the game/club they're involved in are they?
    i'm totally guessing here but aren't they all trying to cash in on some of the ridiculous money being put into football by tv companies .
  • I said this when Chelsea ceased to be and became the grace-less Chelski franchise, and that was the point made earlier that these rich benefactors don't give a shit about the fans. They are in it purely because there is something to gain for them, and as soon as the golden goose that is football (top level only) starts to die they will disappear. And the Chelskis, Pompeys and West Hams will become unsustainable within weeks.

I'm happy with us as we are, I don't want us to become a Sugar daddies plaything and certainately not one of the Alan variety, who for the record is a dyed in the wool spud who I doubt has any interest at all in us or indeed getting back involved in football.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I said this when Chelsea ceased to be and became the grace-less Chelski franchise, and that was the point made earlier that these rich benefactors don't give a shit about the fans. They are in it purely because there is something to gain for them, and as soon as the golden goose that is football (top level only) starts to die they will disappear. And the Chelskis, Pompeys and West Hams will become unsustainable within weeks.

I'm happy with us as we are, I don't want us to become a Sugar daddies plaything and certainately not one of the Alan variety, who for the record is a dyed in the wool spud who I doubt has any interest at all in us or indeed getting back involved in football.

spot on dood, absolutly spot on
  • NugNug
    edited August 2007
    We'll be sitting pretty when the bubble bursts.....and it will... clubs like Villa, Wet Spam, Man City will crash a la Leeds, they don't have the worldwide merchandising that will protect clubs like Man Utd and Liverpool. I'm also amazed at what clubs like Sunderland, Birmingham, Fulham have spent....on what??? I see those clubs doing just what we did last year...mercenaries who won't give a toss when it gets tough. I only pray that when we go up we learn our lesson.
  • you should ask some spurs fans what they think of Sugars contribution over the years, the last one I heard wasn't too favourable.
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]you should ask some spurs fans what they think of Sugars contribution over the years, the last one I heard wasn't too favourable.

Spurs fans expected him to buy them the title, just a bit of small mindedness.

He hasn't made the amount of money he has without being a good businessman, and glory boy instant success hungry fans don't want that. They want big money spent now, now, NOW!!

Nug is of the same mind-set of me, the so called new money clubs are spending money that is simply not theirs and what have they bought?? Not one of the signings would particularly excite me if I were a fan of Villa, West Ham, Man City or Portsmouth. With the exception of perhaps David Nugent and for £7million that is a big perhaps.
  • I am happy as we are for Now at least.

I of course reserve the right to change my mind in the future. I just wanna see how many of these new investors are in it for the 'Long Haul' & who is gonna run at the first sign of the football bubble bursting.
  • edited August 2007
    I think their complaint was he got them so far then sat on his hands for a long long time.. and made a lot of poor choices for manager..
  • I doubt Sugar would be interested after all the hassle he had at Spurs. I don't think he was particularly well-versed in football when he took them over, either.

As far as Charlton are concerned - at the moment, it's not broken, so don't fix it. (And be careful what you wish for...)
  • edited August 2007
    Fans find it very easy to blame chairman but they must remember these chairman don't want the club to fail as it's not really in their interests.

Leeds being a prime example.

Fans screamed for big money to be spent, so Risdale got the money and did what the fans demanded. Spent big in pursuit of success, he was a fan after all, and when it all went tits up the fans blamed him. And still are. Yet when things were looking good he was a hero. Hmm.....

*edit*
    And as an afetrword, well said inspector.