Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town
Saturday 29th October 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Josh Smith

Introduction
Anyone who has seen our season thus far shouldn't be overly surprised by our last result and performance - A run of five games, and a season undefeated at the Valley came crashing down on Tuesday night, with bottom of the table side: Milton Keynes running out 2-0 victors... Our inability to beat anyone lower than 12th in the table, looks like it could become our Achilles heal this season - Well it wont be surprising if the visit of Ipswich Town on Saturday creates fear amongst our supporters, given their position in the league table - However our own performances against superior opposition this season, and we may well surprise, and frustrate our fans with another positive result.

The Opposition
Name: Ipswich Town (2nd) | Manager: Kieran McKenna
Ground: Portman Road
Previous Result: Port Vale 2-3 Ipswich Town

Ipswich were naturally the subject of many a joke on CharltonLife last season, their impressive spending combined with the hiring of experienced Manager: Paul Cook led many to believe that they'd be run away Champions  - An inability to find the right formula though, meant that the Tractor Boys finished just two places above the Addicks, albeit separated by eleven points... Proof that throwing money at a problem isn't always the best solution.

Paul Cook unsurprisingly failed to last the season with Ipswich, and was replaced by Kieran McKenna - Stepping into his first Managerial role; McKenna had so far spent his coaching career with the Youth Teams at Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United, he was tempted from Carrington in December of last year and Ipswich haven't looked back since, they've lost such six games (two this term) in his tenure which commenced not long after an extremely lacklustre display at the Valley last season... Their display on the final day of last season, running out 4-0 winners over the Addicks, in a nothing game, was perhaps a sign of things to expect this season, and McKenna's men haven't disappointed.

This term has unsurprisingly seen more of the same from Ipswich, as said they've just two defeats, one on the road @ Plymouth, and one recently at home against Lincoln City, so they do have weaknesses that can be exploited - With the second best attack, and second best defence though... Any chances that come our way on Saturday afternoon cannot be wasted, we shouldnt expect to get many.

Charlton Team News
There was a lot of head scratching amongst Addicks fans at 6:45pm on Tuesday evening when the line-up was announced against Milton Keynes - Steven Sessegnon was of course dropped, with Sean Clare coming into the side (there was perhaps even more head scratching when Clare was given the Man of the Match award post-game), it of course left us unbalanced down the left hand side, and unnecessarily disrupted a defence which had finally started to mould itself into a proper organised unit.

Ben Garner spoke after the game saying that Sessegnon was rested so should now return to the side... However the defence will have another difference in it this coming Saturday; Ryan Inniss will once again be absent having earnt his marching orders against Milton Keynes, picking up his fourth suspension in just 41-appearances for the Addicks!!

Wollacott
Egbo - O'Connell - Thomas - Sessegnon
Rak-Sakyi - Dobson - Fraser - Blackett-Taylor
Stockley - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Clare - Lavelle - Payne - McGrandes - Morgan - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Draw at the very best 
    1-3 defeat and the tedium of being utter shit continues as the scum and palace chortle at our wankness 
  • Options
    Much more confident about this than I was about MK but do wonder if Lavelle/Thomas will be able to handle it with Inniss out. I think it could be a similar victory to the Derby game. 
  • Options
    Ipswich are already clear at the top and their pension fund spending is going well. They did look good back in April but we had our chances. Port Vale gave them a game and if we can keep it tight so can we. They are due to drop points, 1-1.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/dYqC4Bml1c0
    Green day playing Ramones Blitzkrieg Bop... perfect for Hey! Ho! Egbo!
    1.Just need the rest of the lyrics
    2.oh yeh and he has to score

re-"free" ticket I posted about for MK dons......well it seems I spent one of my sons 3 ticket bargain offer by the club! How can that happen?
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted, Tyreece ATS Campbell? Looked around but couldn't find a reason for not including him, may be I'm missing something.

He was good on Tue, despite Clare.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @ForeverAddickted, Tyreece ATS Campbell? Looked around but couldn't find a reason for not including him, may be I'm missing something.

He was good on Tue, despite Clare.
    And went off injured at half time?
  • Options
    Ah yes: trying to get out from one of those wafer thin spaces that Clare put him into, iirc 
  • Options
    I said it before the Pompey game. These are the types of games we end up winning. 1-0 Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smithy said:
    Much more confident about this than I was about MK but do wonder if Lavelle/Thomas will be able to handle it with Inniss out. I think it could be a similar victory to the Derby game. 
    this - exactly the type of game we will go and win as Ipswich will be far more adventurous than MK were. CBT would make a huge difference, agree with the team in the preview - best 11 we could put out at the moment

3-1 win Stockley, CBT and Chuks 
  • Options
    3-0 Addicks!
  • Options
    Tuesday night knocked the stuffing out of me for some reason.
    I don't really know why, because I had been half expecting to be outpassed by a better passing side who had been doing it for much longer and had it down to a fine art.
    They basically did a job on us with the 4-5-1, sitting back and inviting us to expose our limitations and of course we duly obliged.
    Clare at left-back took Square-pegism to an absurd extreme and added to our perennial square peg Stockley.
    They missed a couple of sitters and then got the rub of the green with the pen.
    Innis was overdue an injury set-back anyway, so found another outlet for his latest mini-break.
    We missed CBT I think, although TC put in a valiant effort he looks just a promising kid, a little too easily brushed off the ball.
    Anyway, maybe the reason I'm so down is that MK showed the blueprint for any arguably less talented side to beat us and it looked too bloody simple.
    Ipswich of course are a completely different kettle of fish.
    Perhaps we will make a better fist of it, I really don't know anymore.
    I'm thinking it'll be Ipswich to nick a tight, competitive game 0-1
  • Options
    Thank you for an excellent preview as always. 

Garner must know his best team by now, and resting Sess was a mistake. 
    4-4-2 at home with our tricky wingers should create loads of chances. 

If anyone need “resting” it’s Stockley - despite not touching the ball for 3 games. 

A couple of things Garner has yet to learn (but the fans have known for ages):

1. if Chucks has only 30 minutes in him, then let’s use it at the start and try and go in front, rather than using him to try and salvage a point. 

2. No point in having Rak back for opposition corners / attacking free kicks. Leave him in the centre circle (the oppo have to leave 2 men back), and try for a quick counter-attack if their attack fails. 

3. Stop passing it around in our half. Play attacking football at home, with just 1 or 2 passes to get the ball out to the wings., then midfielders move up in support.  

COYR. 
  • Options
    2-2.
  • Options
    2-2.
    I'll go for this .. as usual we'll perform well against a top table side
  • Options
    Time for the team to decide, was Tuesday a freak result or was the 3 game win streak before that the freak result.  

We usually fair better against stronger oppo at home, the problem at home so far is weaker teams making us break them down, Ipswich certainly won’t sit back, they are full of physical players so we will miss Innis.  

I think we’ll show up but they’re too strong for us to actually win, 1-1 JRS to put us 1 up. 
  • Options
    The loss on Tuesday was predictable in the same way that the win tomorrow is but somehow i just can't commit to thinking we will win, coz we prabably won't - Forecast : don't know, probably a defeat.  
  • Options
    Ipswich to win without getting out of second gear 0-1.

Unless they haven't done their homework. In which case they may be in a spot of bother.

They just need to sit tight and wait for us to cough up the chances
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0 win in a similar manner to the Derby game. JRS with a peach.

It cant get much worse than that MK Dons defeat (jinxed it now!)

Its clear we can build up momentum but game management (Coaches and players) needs to be sharper as teams seem to suss us out way too quick.  
  • Options

Still so many unanswered questions arising from the abject misery and heartbreaking disappointment of Tuesday night.  How could we look so purposeful the previous Monday and then be so limp?

How could Clare be our best player (along with Dobson, of course) at the start of the season and then play so badly? And who in their right mind thought he was a left-back or man of the match?

And why in God's name do we have to be tortured by that painful heavy metal recording of a grizzly bear giving birth to a breeze block before kick off? It's enough to deter the most ardent supporter. 

And how many games will we have to play before either of our front two strike partnership takes a shot at goal?

And how sparsely populated does the east stand need to be to get a pint served within 20 minutes?

Bought four tickets for this game in a mad rush of optimism after the Pompey performance and very much wish I hadn't. 

0-3

Yes, agree with all your bullet points Grumpy.
  • Options
    Hopefully the fact that Ipswich will come at us will suit our style better, so I am expecting a much improved performance than Tuesday. Should be a much better atmosphere too, which seems to make a big difference.

I know that Innis had a shocker on Tuesday, but it is a shame that there will be an enforced change at the back. I am not sure if Garner will risk Thomas to make a first start in a game like this, so think Lavelle is a more likely starter. The rest of the team more or less picks itself. I think Campbell deserves a place on the bench after his display on Tuesday, possibly another start if CBT is not fully fit.

That bench won't put the fear of God into Ipswich will it? McGrandles and Morgan - hardly game changers are they?

Head says draw at best, but heart says we will put in another storming display and win this. I think it will be closer than Pompey, so going for a nervy 2-1 win. 
  • Options
    Not confident at all on this one. I fear our lack of quality CB depth will be exposed. I hope I’m wrong as I haven’t seen much of Thomas yet, but he was without a club after the window probably for a reason. I’m also doubtful he is match fit/sharp having not played many minutes. Inniss is a fitness/discipline liability but at least he can defend. 

Our lack of quality depth due to a poor end to the summer window will continue to undermine the good efforts of the team and manager
  • Options
    Suspect there will be a few tractor boys in the home ends. Hopefully they won't have anything to cheer about to upset us natives. 
  • Options
    Hopefully the fact that Ipswich will come at us will suit our style better, so I am expecting a much improved performance than Tuesday. Should be a much better atmosphere too, which seems to make a big difference.

I know that Innis had a shocker on Tuesday, but it is a shame that there will be an enforced change at the back. I am not sure if Garner will risk Thomas to make a first start in a game like this, so think Lavelle is a more likely starter. The rest of the team more or less picks itself. I think Campbell deserves a place on the bench after his display on Tuesday, possibly another start if CBT is not fully fit.

That bench won't put the fear of God into Ipswich will it? McGrandles and Morgan - hardly game changers are they?

Head says draw at best, but heart says we will put in another storming display and win this. I think it will be closer than Pompey, so going for a nervy 2-1 win. 
    I felt during the MK game Morgan could of been some use. Only midfielder who could come up with a pass that would open their very defensive set up. Too late by the time he did come on.
  • Options
    Tuesday exposed a shopping list of problems but resting Steven Sessegnon wasn't high on that list.
    Bringing in Sean Clare needn't have been a problem either.
    Sticking him on the left in spite of his rotten performances there this season was always hard to justify.
    Given that Mandela Egbo is actually a fullback, moving him to the left to accommodate Clare's inadequacy has to have been worth a try.
    Sticking with the lopsided fullbacks when it was glaringly obvious that Clare was stinking up the place, was the work of an arrogant dullard.
    But that's Garner's dominant characteristic isn't it?  Despite the evidence of his and our eyes, he is a zealot for sticking rigidly to players on their 'wrong' sides.
    He also clearly thinks there is actual value in possession statistics. 
    Tuesday's enforced substitution, our threadbare squad and 45 minutes being bossed by that awful MK side demanded pragmatism from Garner - he failed.
    He maintained the impotent shape and tactics plus he moved Kirk, JRS and Payne to positions where they have all consistently failed to contribute.  Inexplicable.
    Inniss's first yellow and subsequent mental collapse demanded action from Garner - he declined and threw the game as a direct result.

I fear they'll be going in to their toughest test yet with both hands tied behind their backs and half of them with their laces tied together.
    Neither Lavelle or Thomas are likely to be as valuable aerially in either box as Inniss - on the plus side Thomas might not be as inept with the ball at his feet as Ryan.
    Garner's moronic adhesion to his favoured theories will see us hamstrung from capitalising on such possession as we may have.
    Ipswich have won 5 times away from home already this season.
    Many hold hope that their relative adventure will provide openings for Charlton - even if that's the case the players will need to be in positions from which they can positively influence the game, not constantly having to turn infield away from space to accommodate their limitations.  We do not have players with the abilities of say Mahrez or Sterling to overcome their innate 'sidedness'.
    Garner is pathologically averse to playing to his squad's strengths -  or at least playing to mitigate their weaknesses - clumsy defenders pissing around at the back as the visitors press ever higher; wingers never crossing from their natural side, only ever turning into congested middles.

Garner will probably line up thus:

(reading right to left)

Wollacott
    Egbo, Thomas, O'Connell, Sessegnon
    Payne, Dobbo, Fraser, Kirk
    JRS
    Stockers

From what he has available it should be

Wollacott
    Egbo, Thomas, O'Connell, Sessegnon
    Clare, Dobbo, Fraser, JRS
    Kirk
    Stockers

With CBT as the attacking option on the bench for Clare, after him Payne can provide energy and Campbell provides promise, A&Eke could be good for 15 or 20 minutes.
    JFC will be locked up in the monetary mendacity, poor sod. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Ipswich will want to play, unlike MkD who just parked the bus and waited, so should be an entertaining game to watch which could go either way... heart ruling head but could really see us getting a close 2-1..👍
  • Options
    Thank you for an excellent preview as always. 

Garner must know his best team by now, and resting Sess was a mistake. 
    4-4-2 at home with our tricky wingers should create loads of chances. 

If anyone need “resting” it’s Stockley - despite not touching the ball for 3 games. 

A couple of things Garner has yet to learn (but the fans have known for ages):

1. if Chucks has only 30 minutes in him, then let’s use it at the start and try and go in front, rather than using him to try and salvage a point. 

2. No point in having Rak back for opposition corners / attacking free kicks. Leave him in the centre circle (the oppo have to leave 2 men back), and try for a quick counter-attack if their attack fails. 

3. Stop passing it around in our half. Play attacking football at home, with just 1 or 2 passes to get the ball out to the wings., then midfielders move up in support.  

COYR. 
    re 1) I'm all for going ahead as early and as often as possible, but isn't it the case that Aneke doesn't score when he starts? Maybe its a myth  half I've remembered.
    2)&3) yes please

A result like  vs Derby is the best we can hope for ie perversely against the run of play and the all the stats
  • Options
    First trip to the valley for me this season and when I go it usually ends 1-1 so that’s the bet. Not a fan of inniss so I think this could be a big moment in our season, hopefully whoever replaces him can do well.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!