Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My book: From Hashtag United to Wembley - Raising money for The Upbeats

Comments

• Options
    Just seen this thread, great work Phil. Ill be ordering this tonight.
  • Options
    Out of interest @thai malaysia addick do you make more for the upbeats from the printed or kindle version?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Out of interest @thai malaysia addick do you make more for the upbeats from the printed or kindle version?
    It’s a good point. About twice as much goes to the Upbeats for the Kindle version. But if you buy a paperback, I’ll sign it for £500 😀
  • Options
    Totally missed this thread. As we're 3 nil up I've ordered a copy.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Totally missed this thread. As we're 3 nil up I've ordered a copy.
    No mention of chickens in the book, i’m afraid, but several Charlton references. I hope my acerbic humour is sufferable! Thanks for buying, @Arsenetatters.
  • Options
    Read the first few chapters on the train but my eyesight is so pony by the time I got to London I couldn’t see a thing , everything was blurry , so will bring it to the Shrewsbury match and read hard for an hour before the game !
    Nice easy enjoyable read and I’m pretty sure I’ll be back to it .
    What shocked me is TMA’s age ,if I’ve worked it out correctly , he’s in his late 60s maybe pushing 70 !!
    His online persona/immaturity has him 20 years younger I’d say !!

• Options
    I've been snuggled up to you TMA for the past couple of weeks (while my husband snores away blissfully unawares) on your journey around the country.  Very enjoyable read, it appealed to my sense of humour and people watching  (which probably says more about me than you! ) Only problem is I now feel I need to go on a diet after all those curries, fish n chips & wine!! 
    Thanks TMA it was an interesting and informative journey.
  • Options
    For anyone who wants a bit more of a taster before purchasing, here’s my review of TMA’s worthy tome that originally appeared in the Charlton vs Bristol Rovers match programme back in December:

https://fatrophy.co.uk/book-review/

… and as if by magic, this also links to his very informative and entertaining non-league blog. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read the first few chapters on the train but my eyesight is so pony by the time I got to London I couldn’t see a thing , everything was blurry , so will bring it to the Shrewsbury match and read hard for an hour before the game !
    Nice easy enjoyable read and I’m pretty sure I’ll be back to it .
    What shocked me is TMA’s age ,if I’ve worked it out correctly , he’s in his late 60s maybe pushing 70 !!
    His online persona/immaturity has him 20 years younger I’d say !!

I'm actually only 18, @oohaahmortimer. I just like to pretend I'm well on the way to 70. Now, let's get back to my games console like all 18-year-olds. I do love Space Invaders.
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    I've been snuggled up to you TMA for the past couple of weeks (while my husband snores away blissfully unawares) on your journey around the country.  Very enjoyable read, it appealed to my sense of humour and people watching  (which probably says more about me than you! ) Only problem is I now feel I need to go on a diet after all those curries, fish n chips & wine!! 
    Thanks TMA it was an interesting and informative journey.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, even though I was blissfully unaware of the snuggling up. I'd forgotten I'd revealed so much about my eating habits while touring the country. As for the people-watching, I've found it hard to switch off from that habit since then. Just don't get the same train as me. A few people have asked if all the events in the book really happened. They really did. I made it a task to talk to as many people as possible. I didn't bother mentioning the ones who shrugged me off or gave me the cold shoulder - and there were a few!
  • Options
    Enjoyed it TMA, well done you, I’m jealous 👍🏻
  • Options
    Just seen thus. Right up my street. Love the concept. Buying now.
  • Options
    Finished it this week. Got it for my Dad but thought I'd give it a read first. Really enjoyed it, nice bits of local history and like a tourist guide in places. Oh and some football matches! 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Finished it this week. Got it for my Dad but thought I'd give it a read first. Really enjoyed it, nice bits of local history and like a tourist guide in places. Oh and some football matches! 
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, @Wilma. Keep spreading the word, as all the profits go to the Upbeats. You're right. It's a travelogue with a bit of football thrown in, and as one website reviewed it 'a stream of consciousness' from me.
  • Options
    Many years ago I discussed (with my brother) doing just this, but with the FA Cup, but the big stumbling block would be sourcing tickets once the big boys start getting involved, so we never really got going on it. I always thought it was something the BEEB should do to cover games. "The road to Wembley".
  • Options
    Have already got my own copy - thoroughly good read - and ordered another for an xmas present.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highly recommend
  • Options
    Highly recommend
    Thanks
  • Options
    Have already got my own copy - thoroughly good read - and ordered another for an xmas present.
    Thank you 
  • Options
    Have just ordered, looking forward to reading it.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Thanks everyone for their support. I’ll bung in an extra £5 donation to the Upbeats for any books bought in the last week up to Xmas. It’s a great cause. Come on!
  • Options
    Just bought two for Christmas presents 
  • Options
    Great stuff, @Justin20474
  • Options
    Ordered one a couple of days back for my little brother, hopefully he enjoys. (Sure I'll be pinching it for a read hehe)
  • Options
    Great stuff, @Justin20474
    Says it should arrive on Christmas Eve, nothing like leaving it to the last minute 😬
  • Options
    finally got round to starting this last night @thai malaysia addick :smiley: