Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Evening kick offs…

edited October 2022 in General Charlton
Here’s a stat for you.

Our record this season in evening kick offs across all competitions:

Played 8
W5 D2 L1
(draws with Forest Green, QPR & loss to Colchester)
PPG 2.13

By contrast, our record on Saturday 3pm kick offs:

Played 10
W1 D6 L3
(win against Derby)
PPG 0.90

Comments

• Before anyone says, I know points and PPG isn’t a thing for cup competitions but it’s a quick and easy stat to throw in there to further highlight the difference between the midweek and weekend.
  • Smaller Charlton crowds better results
    our support does not help
    Booing does
  • what is the average league position of our opponents as at time of kick off ?

Have we played better teams in the 3pm kick offs ?
  • When we have Power cuts this winter, night games will be off the agenda 
  • MrOneLung said:
    what is the average league position of our opponents as at time of kick off ?

Have we played better teams in the 3pm kick offs ?
    We've played decent sides midweek, the best 3 performances of the season were home midweek wins over Plymouth, Exeter and Pompey
  • edited October 2022
    I think you have a point here. In fact, at night we have a 100% record against teams south or north of our latitude (give or take a very small bit). South coast teams miss the sea air and sides north of London find it too warm or dry. Obvious, really.
  • Leicester also showing a lot more by night... 
  • The players can't see there are only 6000/7000 Charlton fans there when it's dark, so it's not such a downer. 
    This is exactly what Andy Nelson used to say
  • Chizz said:
    The players can't see there are only 6000/7000 Charlton fans there when it's dark, so it's not such a downer. 
    This is exactly what Andy Nelson used to say
    Was a definite policy in the 70's, you've only got to look at the number of night games we played.  Think we went 3 years or so without losing in midweek, although I think it ended with a bang, 5-1 to Luton. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Here’s a stat for you.

Played 8
    W5 D2 L1
    PPG 2.13

Played 10
    W1 D6 L3
    (win against Derby)
    PPG 0.90
    Do you ever go outside?
  • shirty5 said:
    When we have Power cuts this winter, night games will be off the agenda 
    So will 3pm kick offs over the winter months
  • Before anyone says, I know points and PPG isn’t a thing for cup competitions but it’s a quick and easy stat to throw in there to further highlight the difference between the midweek and weekend.
    You know this place well :)
  • Here’s a stat for you.

Played 8
    W5 D2 L1
    PPG 2.13

Played 10
    W1 D6 L3
    (win against Derby)
    PPG 0.90
    Do you ever go outside?
    No need to be rude or dig at someone, unless its a light hearted joke 
  • shirty5 said:
    The players can play in the dark, they just need led lights on their shirts and the ball  :)
  • shirty5 said:
    The players can play in the dark, they just need led lights on their shirts and the ball  :)
    This should sort it. Might make heading the ball a bit tricky though.

LED Hunting Headlamp Rechargeable Bright Flashlight With Wide Light Spot  Beam Head Lamp Spotlight For Hunting Camping Fishing Countryside From  Erwin5 3979  DHgateCom
  • shirty5 said:
    No problem, just kick off at 1pm 
  • edited October 2022
    Cheltenham being game moved to the Friday night on 2nd Dec is probably a positive given this stat!
  • Sponsored links:

• The winning at home of an evening is only a recent thing. Prior to last season we had a terrible home record under lights (midweek games, not televised ones at 5.30pm). I'm not a stat man but I don't think we'd won once under lights at home since promotion to The Championship.
  • I wonder if away teams don’t like evening games due to travel arrangements. What’s our away record like at night (come on you stats guys)
  • Too many evening home matches in this division makes me seriously consider renewing my ST, as I have to be up at 3am. Next season I think I'll probably just buy my tickets per match 
  • Too many evening home matches in this division makes me seriously consider renewing my ST, as I have to be up at 3am. Next season I think I'll probably just buy my tickets per match 
    Unusual circumstances this season though. One game shifted because of the Queen , one because of Sky and another because of the World Cup 
  • edited October 2022
    Too many evening home matches in this division makes me seriously consider renewing my ST, as I have to be up at 3am. Next season I think I'll probably just buy my tickets per match 
    Unusual circumstances this season though. One game shifted because of the Queen , one because of Sky and another because of the World Cup 

Six evening league games at home before Christmas and zero away. Three were previously scheduled that way, three have been forced. The fact that all half-dozen have ended up being at Valley is very weird.

Our first evening league game away from SE7 this season will be on 29/12 at Oxford, barring any more fixture shuffles before then.

Post Christmas, we are scheduled to play Oxford away (29th Dec), Forest Green away (14th Feb) and MK away (18th Apr) as evening games, with no home games played in the evening following Cheltenham on 2nd Dec.

Looks like we were scheduled three home and three away midweek games when the fixtures were released, just circumstance that all the home ones were before Christmas and all the away ones are after added to the re-arrangements from Sky, the WC and the Queen.