Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your golden era

2»

Comments

• 1998-2004
  • If you mean when I was  teenager then late 60s tio mid 70s. Not exactly a golden era.
  • I'm also for the Selhurst years. Still able to stand at grounds. I remember when Leaburn scored away at Villa after coming on as a sub and the crowd went mad leaping up and down - I was bruised and battered but that was also part of it. Went to home and away games for most of that time before moving to Southampton.
  • I'm also for the Selhurst years. Still able to stand at grounds. I remember when Leaburn scored away at Villa after coming on as a sub and the crowd went mad leaping up and down - I was bruised and battered but that was also part of it. Went to home and away games for most of that time before moving to Southampton.
    I still can’t believe he was given that goal. It would have gone out for a throw if the defender hadn’t slid in and and diverted it. 
    I still can’t believe he was given that goal. It would have gone out for a throw if the defender hadn’t slid in and and diverted it. 
    There are always someone who finds negative in our joy
  • ross1 said:
    I'm also for the Selhurst years. Still able to stand at grounds. I remember when Leaburn scored away at Villa after coming on as a sub and the crowd went mad leaping up and down - I was bruised and battered but that was also part of it. Went to home and away games for most of that time before moving to Southampton.
    There are always someone who finds negative in our joy
    To be fair I’ve had another look and it wasn’t going out for a throw. 
  • There are some great memories on this thread! My dad first took me and my older brother to Selhurst in 86. We had no charlton connection, but it was good to see Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham (who I supported as a little one) etc. We quickly got hooked and Charlton was EVERYTHING. Loved the Prem years obviously, Powell's promotion team an Bowyer working his magic, but looking back I think the selhurst years just clinched it for me. It all clicked and I was in love with football. Bumped into Paul Mortimer on the train a while back and was starstruck. Told him how we idolised him, mickey Bennett, Carlo and Williams back in the day and he went all misty eyed and said "yeah. they were the days". He was right. Without Len nie and that group of players we wouldn't be here today. COYA
  • Funnily enough, I bumped into an old friend at the gym earlier and neither of us hardly go any more. We were saying how our lives used to revolve around Charlton and talked about some of the old away games on the Lewis coach (Oldham in the snow and Colchester in the FA cup in ‘84. I was 16 in ‘84 and used to go to pretty much every game home and away. Made so many good friends during that period that I’m still close to and @1905

We were a 'tad' lucky at that Colchester game.

• Another vote for selhurst, helped seeing a certain player don the shirt and start his career, leading to playing for England, winning the world cup, now Prime Minister........shit wait, that was my dream at the time, I think he went to Aston Villa for a bit and broke my heart! 
  • Funnily enough, I bumped into an old friend at the gym earlier and neither of us hardly go any more. We were saying how our lives used to revolve around Charlton and talked about some of the old away games on the Lewis coach (Oldham in the snow and Colchester in the FA cup in ‘84. I was 16 in ‘84 and used to go to pretty much every game home and away. Made so many good friends during that period that I’m still close to and @1905

Was that the one with the timber stand that people were falling through?
  • Sponsored links:

• R0TW said:
    Funnily enough, I bumped into an old friend at the gym earlier and neither of us hardly go any more. We were saying how our lives used to revolve around Charlton and talked about some of the old away games on the Lewis coach (Oldham in the snow and Colchester in the FA cup in ‘84. I was 16 in ‘84 and used to go to pretty much every game home and away. Made so many good friends during that period that I’m still close to and @1905

Was that the one with the timber stand that people were falling through?
    Yes mate, passing planks of wood down to the front of the stand!
  • Ha ha, I turned to my right and could only see a blokes head and shoulders, where he was standing on the mound beneath.
    Yeah, played shit but scraped through.
  • YTS1978 said:
    There are some great memories on this thread! My dad first took me and my older brother to Selhurst in 86. We had no charlton connection, but it was good to see Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, West Ham (who I supported as a little one) etc. We quickly got hooked and Charlton was EVERYTHING. Loved the Prem years obviously, Powell's promotion team an Bowyer working his magic, but looking back I think the selhurst years just clinched it for me. It all clicked and I was in love with football. Bumped into Paul Mortimer on the train a while back and was starstruck. Told him how we idolised him, mickey Bennett, Carlo and Williams back in the day and he went all misty eyed and said "yeah. they were the days". He was right. Without Len nie and that group of players we wouldn't be here today. COYA
    also began going during the selhurst years about the same same time. Also no Charlton connection just wanted to see topflight football so the old man took me to my first game against either Liverpool or Arsenal but I do remember one of the first games being in awe of seeing Ian Rush on the field in real life! was converted pretty quickly especially when Dr. Legg was sitting in the Jnr reds section one time signing autographs!
    Golden age for me were the curbs years leading up to and including the 2 promotion years. actually being in the premiership seemed a bit surreal but probably not helped that I was traveling and only watching on sky.
  • R0TW said:
    Ha ha, I turned to my right and could only see a blokes head and shoulders, where he was standing on the mound beneath.
    Yeah, played shit but scraped through.
    Mate lost his expensive watch celebrating the goal. We were all under the wooden terracing after the game in the dirt until we found it.
  • edited October 2022
    Lots of votes for the Sellout years and here's another.

If I had to pick one moment from it, although there were so many, the turnaround point in the Aizlewood  inspired Carlisle away game win to secure promotion. Jim Tolmie I think it was ,in front of us turning to pass back, Naby Sarr like, under no pressure from about the half way line it appeared. I remember watching in stunned disbelief as the ball trickled over the line with their keeper scrambling back. Marvellous! And then I went beserk. What a day that was. 
  • Late 60s and all the 70s was by far my favourite times supporting Charlton. 
    The Curbushly era was my second favourite. 
    As for the sellhurst park shit I was a foot soldier for the valley party.
    Hated sellhurst with a passion and still do.