Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Britain's Second City?

Comments

• Options
    The BBC moving to Salford has widened the gap between Manchester and Birmingham
  • Options

Truro.

But then I'm biased. :smile:

• Options
    I'd say overall for culture, diversity, size and influence then Manchester takes it. 

Anywhere not in England is irrelevant to this discussion 
  • Options
    Manchester 100% for me. For one, Birmingham's a s*** hole and Manchester's actually nice
  • Options
    And I bet if you asked people from other countries who they think Britain's second city, I think they'd say Manchester first as well. That is probably influenced by sport and specifically football though.
  • Options
    Manchester 
  • Options
    Rochester
  • Options
    Was Birmingham, and I like Birmingham, as it retains quite a bit of it’s industrial manufacturing base - I like it’s ‘grittiness’ 

But Manchester has overtaken it now in my view 
  • Options
    Over the years its swung between Birmingham and Manchester depending on when and how you measure it as the population changes a lot ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Manchester all day long. I’d like to hear one thing Birmingham has going for it. Sprawling shitehole. 
  • Options
    Looks like Manchester has the edge on here and I agree.
  • Options
    From a Charlton perspective, it has to be Carlisle.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Manchester, as I’ve been there.

Pretty much all my UK city exposure is with Charlton away. Am I unusual with that?

The only UK cities I’ve been in outside of simply going to the game is London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester and Southampton. And 3 of those were Charlton weekends 

Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol, Birmingham, Coventry, Luton, Portsmouth, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, Wolverhampton, Oxford, Bradford, Cambridge, Colchester, Doncaster, Exeter, Norwich, Peterborough, Plymouth, Preston, Stoke, Swansea.  All those I’ve literally parked a couple of roads away from grounds and been in and out without even seeing a High St. or place of interest.

So 61 UK cities and there are only 2 I’ve been to (in Wales and Scotland) that wasn’t Charlton related!
  • Options
    Leeds
  • Options
    Manchester all day long. I’d like to hear one thing Birmingham has going for it. Sprawling shitehole. 
    Birmingham had the fantastic Post Office Vaults pub (https://postofficevaults.co.uk/).

If we play a midlands team and you don’t stop here for a couple you aren’t doing it right. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    If we are saying Greater Manchester that includes Bolton, Oldham, Rochdale, Wigan, Stockport and Bury. The actual population of Manchester itself is smaller than Liverpool and Bristol. So in a way it does depend what the parameters are.
  • Options
    York
  • Options
    I like Cardiff and Durham (and a few more).. but 'powerhouse cities' they are not
  • Options
    Uk's second city is Edinburgh. 

England's second city is Manchester. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    London
    Manchester
    Birmingham
    Edinburgh
    Liverpool
    Glasgow
    Bristol
    Leeds
    Sheffield
    Newcastle

In my perception at least and spent time in them all, albeit a few years ago in some instances.
  • Options
    Wiki's page on the question is an interesting read. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_city_of_the_United_Kingdom

• Options
    Always been a big fan of Bristol - great medium sized city.
  • Options
    Always been a big fan of Bristol - great medium sized city.
    One of my nearer cities - historic and culturally very active but the desire for "radicalism", active promotion and acceptance of graffiti and the almost constant and permanent smell of weed is making it, sadly, less redeeming by the day. 
  • Options
    I do think these sorts of arguments are hilarious.

Mate of mine is from Coventry (a widely accepted khazi) and he always says it's funny how when you go outside of London people can get quite fiercely obsessed about whether their town or city is bigger or better than another, but since he moved to London he realised that nobody here really gives a fuck!
  • Options
    St Davids
  • Options
    Birmingham gets a lot of stick but mainly from people who have never been or haven't been for years. Of course there's some total shithole areas but what city doesn't have the same? 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Birmingham gets a lot of stick but mainly from people who have never been or haven't been for years. Of course there's some total shithole areas but what city doesn't have the same? 
    There's nothing wrong with Birmingham, but it feel quite provincial. There's no feeling of "self importance" about the place, or a City designed to show itself off to the world, hence it lacks major historical sights for a City its size, and when compared to say Liverpool or Bristol.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    OK I haven't spent a lot of time in Birmingham, but anytime I have been, the city centre feels devoid of any history or culture bar a lot of shops, it also feels very dirty and dodgy. I know Manchester ain't exactly idyllic at times near Piccadilly Gardens and the Arndale but if you branch out to the areas around the very centre there is a lot of vibrancy and life in the areas surrounding it as well as lot of cultural history. Outside the very centre of Birmingham it just seems to turn into dodgy suburbs and big roads/highways.

Again, might not be fair as I haven't spent an equal amount of time in Brum as I have in Manc but I've never, ever heard anyone say "I love Birmingham" after a visit.