Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover - Stevie Wonder v Coolio

Two versions of the same song

Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer, the 1976 Stevie Wonder original or the 1995 Coolio cover

No other versions allowed especially Wierd Al's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3Sv2zad6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPO76Jlnz6c

Comments

• Options
    Coolio.
  • Options
    Coolio, featuring L.V.
  • Options
    Coolio
  • Options
    Stevie Wonder
  • Options
    Coolio … haunting and wonderful 
  • Options
    Didn’t even know Coolio’s was a cover until now but prefer Coolio’s.
  • Options
    Stevie
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Coolio...... just. I also had no idea it was a SW song. 
  • Options
    fun fact, Stevie only allowed the sample to be used on the Coolio version if there was no swearing on it
  • Options
    Stevie’s a genius, but Coolio’s version is the winner here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I first thought of this cover to cover, due to the sad news of Coolio's death, I thought Stevie would be my preference but the cover version wins it for me.

Surprised people didn't know it was a cover but I guess it wasn't a big hit in the 70s.
  • Options
    Definitely Coolio. I’m sure Stevie won’t mind - he probably earned a fortune from the Coolio version!
  • Options
    fun fact, Stevie only allowed the sample to be used on the Coolio version if there was no swearing on it
    Not really a sample 
  • Options
    Coolio for me. Stevie Wonder version is great too.
  • Options
    I suppose Stevie deserves credit for writing it, but that recording sounds awful. Like a chamber orchestra recorded on an old fashioned phonograph and played back below the waterline in a tin bath full of decidedly tepid water. Strange really because in his career he produced some cracking recordings. Coolio wins the big plaudits though for recognising that there was a song in there and recording it with both subtlety and power. As is invariably the case with these little tests though the best recording has to remain nameless.
  • Options
    Not really a sample

How is that not a sample?
  • Options
    Not really a cover. More a sample or a re-working like when Puff Daddy nicked the riff from Every Breath you Take. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Not really a sample

He didn't sample one small bit.

It's the same song with some rapping over it and pastime changed to gangster.

It's a cover version.
  • Options
    Here's a combination of both songs.

https://youtu.be/6C2Np-P3ZrY
  • Options
    Stevie…..all day long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SW for me
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Not really a sample

It's a cover version.
    I think the correct term is interpolation, when you re-record a part of a song for use in another song. Different from a sample which uses a part of the originally recorded song in a new song.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Not really a sample

It's a cover version.
    I’m not sure you understand what sampling means.
  • Options
    Incredible album from Stevie in his prime, but as for a single song that defined an era it's Coolio without a doubt
  • Options
    Stevie