Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Becoming hard to beat

One thing that can certainly not be said of us this season. Only one, rather fortuitous clean sheet. For all the talk of us needing a striker it is this that worries me more than anything. This should be our first priority on the training ground. However I'm always worried that we have a set of players capable of playing pretty football but not winners. There is a huge difference.
I was reading an article about an interview with Jurgen Klopp this morning at Liverpool. When people think of Liverpool, most people think about Salh, Firmino and last year Mane. However Klopp's priority is becoming hard to beat. That is what he said Liverpool need to get back to doing. That is what he said in his first interview when he took over at an inconsisitent Liverpool 7 years ago. The biggest 2 buys, Van Dyke and Allisson, is also evidence of that.

So Ben Garner, please make us hard to beat. Quite happy with gritty 1-0 home win and a few dull 0-0 away draws. The cream can come later. 

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Oh Klopp won't you make us
    A bit harder to beat
    Tackling like horses, we can't keep clean sheet
    We waste every saturday on this shower of shiiiit
    So oh Kloooop won't you make us
    Bit harder to beat....

That's it...

hee hee hee hee....
  • Options
    Quality of defenders is poor to dreadful especially central
    So the only option is quantity
    The back 3 or 4 require diligent protection in front: Dobson plus one other, I'd go for JFC
    Don't care if Sessegnon or Egbo offer little as wing backs, their defensive strengths are what's needed
    Payne or JRS can support Stockers alongside or in behind
    Expansiveness and style are luxuries enjoyed by decent sides with solid defenses - we're neither decent nor solid defensively
    It's less a case of playing to our strengths than playing as far away from our worst weakness
    Conceding none at least prevents defeats.

Keep it tight for 60 - 75 minutes and hope that a fresh Leaburn or Aneke(! yeah I'm desperate !) can turn 1 point into 3

A Barnsley S/T holder's view of Saturday "your wingers looked good, your shooting was comically bad but worst of all were your defenders" "Barnsley didn't play well at all but accepted the gifts you gave us"
    "Left back all at sea, Centre halfs are pub players, 21 phoned it in, apart from him the midfield substitutions all replaced the wrong players, the 12 who came on looked hopeless"
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I worry about our centre back and our forward options, and certain areas of depth. Otherwise I’m pretty content with our first choice goalkeeper, full backs, midfielders and wingers.

In the two areas of greatest concern, Garner was only afforded one signing: O’Connell. I still believe him to be our best / most promising centre back despite a bad second half at Barnsley. His contributions in building from the back are among the best in the league, but he needs a reliable enforcer next to him to shine.

We aren’t in danger of going down. BG deserves January and the summer to address these key areas of concern before being judged.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I worry about our centre back and our forward options, and certain areas of depth. Otherwise I’m pretty content with our first choice goalkeeper, full backs, midfielders and wingers.

In the two areas of greatest concern, Garner was only afforded one signing: O’Connell. I still believe him to be our best / most promising centre back despite a bad second half at Barnsley. His contributions in building from the back are among the best in the league, but he needs a reliable enforcer next to him to shine.

We aren’t in danger of going down. BG deserves January and the summer to address these key areas of concern before being judged.
    How bad is it, that after 10 games we’re already talking like this:(

We seem to be saying this year after year, don’t we?
  • Options
    I feel for Garner not having the right players in certain positions to make his gameplan reliable.
    But he has to adapt and compensate.

I mean, if you were a fisherman, you wouldn't go to sea in a boat full of holes.

Blimey, that was my Eric Cantona moment! :smile: