Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most Injury Prone Players

Mention of the Valley 1000 on another thread made me think over the 59 nearly 60 years of my Charlton supporting sentence.

As an 'old git' my memory might be playing tricks admittedly but in my younger years I don't remember many if any chronically injury prone players.

For me Cory Gibbs has to be number one not being fit enough to make even one appearance during his time with the Club. I'm inclined to put Chuks at two now.

The first time I can recall chronic recurring injuries is (was) Carl Leaburn's dead legs back in the eighties and nineties but they were nothing compared to our post year 2000 injury record in my opinion.

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Inniss
  • Options
    Danny Haynes…… Hammys made from paper mache
  • Options
    Kelly Youga. 
  • Options
    Such a shame as well. Very underrated player.

Maybe even the fastest runner I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    cafctom said:

Definitely in the conversation.

From my 59 years I'll suggest in no particular order Len Glover, Mike Kenning, Micky Bennett (first spell), Paul Williams and Shaun Newton as other contenders. Not forgetting Dennis Rommedahl of course too.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    cafctom said:

From my 59 years I'll suggest in no particular order Len Glover, Mike Kenning, Micky Bennett (first spell), Paul Williams and Shaun Newton as other contenders. Not forgetting Dennis Rommedahl of course too.
    If you're going back to the '60s, Len ....... do you remember winger Paul Hince?

Signed from Man City early in 1968, he could run like a greyhound. But only without the ball.  :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:
    cafctom said:

If you're going back to the '60s, Len ....... do you remember winger Paul Hince?

Signed from Man City early in 1968, he could run like a greyhound. But only without the ball.  :smile:

Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:
    cafctom said:

Yes Oggy I remember Hince. Replacement for Lenny or Kenning. Didn't stay long and retired relatively early from football to become a successful sports journalist.

He's written a book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memories-Failed-Footballer-Crap-Journalist-ebook/dp/B006E8Z6A6 
  • Options
    Danny Haynes and Joe Anyinsah were both decent players, but unfortunately a bit fragile.

Gary Poole looked good in his first game then seemed to disappear forever.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Chuks

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gary Poole
  • Options
    Gary Rowett... 13-games over two seasons for us
  • Options
    If my memory serves me right we have been extremely unlucky with previous players injuries and illnesses. Richard Rufus I am sure retired early as did Clive Mendonca, Gary Rowett, Andy Hunt through illness, Cory Gibbs never seen, Geoff Scott I appearance after being signed from Birmingham, I have probably missed a load and at present as everyone knows Innes and Aneke.
  • Options
    Jake Forster-Caskey 

Igor Vetokele

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Danny Haynes and Joe Anyinsah were both decent players, but unfortunately a bit fragile.

Gary Poole looked good in his first game then seemed to disappear forever.

From memory Poole got a career ending injury away vs QPR I think - maybe knee - I’m sure others know better than me

I was at the game, that much I do know 

EDIT - on interweb he got injury in reserve match - I was at the match where he scored his only Charlton goal and it was a good one
  • Options
    I was at Chelsea when Geoff Scott got his career-ending injury. Months later I happened to be at The Valley for his come back match in a reserve game. He lasted less than 10 minutes, and his career was over. Very sad. 
  • Options
    Did Scott Parker ever manage a full season ?
  • Options
    Looks like he regularly missed a few days through injury

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Any goalkeepers to finish the XI? Or upgrades, by which I mean downgrades?

Haynes, Aneke, Vetokele (or any winger mentioned by Len)
    Alonso, JFC, P Williams
    Page, Gibbs, Rowett, Poole
                     ???
  • Options

After he left us. I don't remember him being particularly injured with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Alonso, JFC, P Williams
                     ???
    Mike Salmon picked up a few injuries as I recall.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Mention of the Valley 1000 on another thread made me think over the 59 nearly 60 years of my Charlton supporting sentence.

As an 'old git' my memory might be playing tricks admittedly but in my younger years I don't remember many if any chronically injury prone players.

For me Cory Gibbs has to be number one not being fit enough to make even one appearance during his time with the Club. I'm inclined to put Chuks at two now.

The first time I can recall chronic recurring injuries is (was) Carl Leaburn's dead legs back in the eighties and nineties but they were nothing compared to our post year 2000 injury record in my opinion.

Over to you.
    Gary Poole
    Man U player that joined us season after Parker left

There have been a few, but I suppose in those days medical science was so far behind now that players like Innis and Aneke would not have any sort of career.
  • Options
    Yassin Moutaouakil right back.

Captained France u21s at one point.
    Kicked off the pitch by a Stoke defender iirc.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Alonso, JFC, P Williams
                     ???
    There was always Buster Tutt, who could be included as keeper. But he was no sicknote though, having been thugged and never played again.

If we were looking for another keeper, perhaps Stephen Henderson in his 1st spell at Charlton? Do I recall that he missed a fair few games with injuries?

• Options
    Derek Ufton a bit before your time Len
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

After he left us. I don't remember him being particularly injured with us.
    There was one season where he picked up a seemingly minor niggle pre-season and it turned into a full first two months out. Fans started asking questions and there was an overhaul of the fitness/medical team as a result.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Not sure why Aneke is getting so many mentions. Im sure theres a thread on here somewhere which proves beyond any doubt that he has played lots of games so can only rarely be injured.

Haven't seen the thread personally for a while though ....
  • Options
    I think the legend that is Paul Henry Mortimer warrants a mention here. He seemed to have endless hamstring and back issues that blighted his career.

He was great for us over 2 spells of course but our match winner missed lots of games. Quite possibly those injuries prevented him from spending more time as a Premier League footballer, and so ironically, perhaps his injuries were to our gain.
  • Options
    Carl Tiler ….. thought he was a decent centre back tbh but a classic example of on off niggles combined with a couple of big knee injuries