Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Semedo - Holding Midfielder

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
It seems that Pards has decided to try him in that role. By all accounts he played well against Gillingham. It will be interesting to see if Pards continues with him there, particularly if we sign some midfielders. Does anybody have any views?

Comments

• Looks like Pards preferred central midfield pair could be Semedo & Ambrose. Looks very lightweight to me, but you just never know...
  • Semedo was outstanding there v Gills; busy and v efficient, with the added bonus that he gives us cover at centre half if need be. I thought Ambrose revelled in the freedom and involvement ahead of him, though of course there may be games where we go for a stronger "engine room" (Mullins / Sinclair / Holland?). In effect it gave us 5 defensive & 5 offensive, resulting in much more variety in the attacking options. Reckon a lot of teams will fail to cope with Ambrose, Reid, & Thomas. Hope those in front of them can supply the finishing power. Maybe the goals will be shared around a lot this year, rather than just a 25-goal man.
  • Ambrose can be a good player when he wants to be - if he is in the middle then there is less chance of the game passing him by. Fingers crossed.
  • May need an Ipswich fan to verify, but pretty certain that Ambrose played in centre mid for them as a young player and know he scored about 11 goals in 20 odd games in that role. That's what brought atention to him and his first move to Newcastle.

He's a talented player and to thrive needs a Spotty or Bowyer type player (when they played for us) to enable him to do all of the things he does best. If Semedo in Pards' view can do that, wicked, we've saved ourselves some more £s to spend if we get promoted.
  • Ambrose pops up with the odd goal, but wtf else....?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Ambrose pops up with the odd goal, but wtf else....?
    Same as Darren Bent. ;-)
  • no, substitue hatful.... odd goal = not enough..
  • [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]May need an Ipswich fan to verify, but pretty certain that Ambrose played in centre mid for them as a young player and know he scored about 11 goals in 20 odd games in that role. That's what brought atention to him and his first move to Newcastle.

He's a talented player and to thrive needs a Spotty or Bowyer type player (when they played for us) to enable him to do all of the things he does best. If Semedo in Pards' view can do that, wicked, we've saved ourselves some more £s to spend if we get promoted.

When he got a good run in the Newcastle team just before he left, he played attacking centre mid - and the Geordies did not want him to leave. He probably only signed for us because his mate Benty had joined.

I remember when we played Chel$ki when we drew 1-1 at the Bridge in Marcus' first game, Ambrose was very effective in centre mid. Also, Sheff Utd at home last season, he was running the show from attacking centre mid for the first 30 mins until Warlock put Jagielka on him and marked him out of the game.

Maybe that's the lesson to learn?
  • never realised he played central at Newcastle
  • hmm less convinced about him that that, agree he seems better in the middle though..
  • Sponsored links:

• He's admittedly flattered to deceive, and can go missing, but is two-footed, can pick a good pass, and can finish. Still relatively young and showed great attitude re. staying as soon as we were down. Reckon he could reach double figures. Surely he deserves full support for recent attitude alone (ditto Thomas).
  • blimey - i totally missed it.

Samedoo

woaahhhh, Samedoooo, woahhh

where does he come from?
  • I never really saw Ambrose as an effective wide player because he always tended to drift into the centre. I am sure his best position is central midfield.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]blimey - i totally missed it.

Samedoo

woaahhhh, Samedoooo, woahhh

where does he come from?
    You're onto a winner - he's from Portugal!
  • edited July 2007
    If only we could find something to rhyme with Portugal
  • Perfect opportunity to mix the new with the old on Saturday I would have thought...
  • Ambrose plays best centre mid & I've been hoping someone would finally see his potential there!!

Nice one Pards.
  • Diawarra has not left (yet) and Samedo has nicked his song!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If only we could find something to rhyme with Portugal

Jose, Jose, Jose.
    Here comes Jose, Jose.
    Jose, Jose, Jose, play it for me.

He's a real tasty Portugeezer.....

No, that doesn't rhyme.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]Ambrose plays best centre mid & I've been hoping someone would finally see his potential there!!

Nice one Pards.

Totally agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]Diawarra has not left (yet) and Samedo has nicked his song!

It's really Jorge Costa's song so would be fitting to pass to a Portuguese compatriot.

I'm not very good at this usually, but there's a really obvious one for Diawara:

Souley, Souley, Souley, Souley (ooh aah ooh aah ooh aah)...to the Kaiser Chief's Ruby.
    And our old pessimistic mate on this board even gets a mention in it.