Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Forest Green Rovers | Tuesday 13 September 2022 7:45PM

As frustrating an evening at The Valley as you’re ever to experience. We dominated FGR from kickoff and dominated for large spells throughout the match, but FGR were able to adjust and find a foothold. CBT got off to a sterling start, finding the net early and getting into threatening positions. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to capitalise with a second goal. Just before halftime, a goalkeeping mistake let FGR in to level the score.

In the second half, FGR reorganised behind the ball. They stopped making mistakes in their own half and were content to leave possession to us. They had their periods of sustained pressure though, which, with better finishing, could have gave them an advantage against the run of play.

Our build up play in the second half was good. But we got into many promising positions without a threatening final ball. Hence, frustration.

Ben Garner’s Swindon was known for drawing many matches. He’s brought that skillset up a League to The Valley, which I suppose is an achievement.

And now Ryan Innis has just been sent off with a second yellow. Classic Innis.

My man of the match was George Dobson. He reliably ran the midfield, made some cracking tackles in key areas, and pushed the ball forward when opportunities allowed. He’s consistently key in the heart of midfield. 

Charlton 1 Forest Green Rovers 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Inspired substitution. 
    Nothing like a manager with a plan B. 
    *acknowledges that the manager has been done up like a kipper by pubehead#2
  • Both the yellows for Inniss are silly.
  • Getting ready to dust off the “Book Early For Booing” thread. I don’t think it’s far off…… 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Crap performance and a crap result.

Ref was terrible but that can't distraction from how poor we were. Forest Green should have put 3 past us 2nd half.
    Even though they only had 2 shots?
  • That's four games now when we have surrendered a leading position.
  • I feel sorry for everyone who was on HMS Tommy and believing we were actually gonna be good this year.

We are shatty crappy shit shat. Always were.
  • The final ball was generally a weak pass to a Forest Green defender - couple that with the desperate air of panic every time they got into our box. Much ado about nothing.
  • I think that result shows we are still a work in progress and I’m not sure we are good enough for the top six this year. 

Their equaliser was comedy and there was other joke defending in the second half. 
  • Dominated the ball and CBT should have had a hat trick. So frustrating. I cant remember a more frustrating game. FGR were toilet and we couldn't break them down for a 2nd time. Embarrassing. 
  • Can’t fault the effort, but skill level and team awareness = L1 status, I can see what Garner is trying to do but 3 -4 players, minimum, short to complete the jigsaw, our forwards…….depressing to say the very least
  • Sponsored links:

• 3 points from top six, 3 points from the bottom four. The table is going to take a while longer yet to properly form.
  • Disappointing and depressing. Nothing is clicking. This team has been a one game wonder. Not sure BG can get much more from this group. Maybe his Garnerball system is beyond them and back to basics is needed. Could so easily have lost tonight, by a few. Numbing thought. 
  • edited September 2022
    goalkeeper worries .. Wollacott seems to have lost confidence, he was also shaky at Bolton, McG does not inspire confidence either

Can't score and concede too many silly goals, that is soooo obvious

Garner still to find his best starting Xl

They try hard but lack that killer touch, same old same old

All in all very disappointing and until January at the earliest we are a striker or four short, that is assuming Sandy is prepared to put up the necessaries for signings
  • Croydon said:
    Crap performance and a crap result.

Ref was terrible but that can't distraction from how poor we were. Forest Green should have put 3 past us 2nd half.
    Even though they only had 2 shots?
    Yeah they were as woeful a team in the final third as you'll ever see, but they carved us open time and time again. They're relegation fodder for a reason
  • When you don't spend a penny on transfers and build your team around league two freebies.
    Guess what. 
    The guitar playing Wankpuffin is way in over his head and the sooner he fucks off the better. 
    Plenty of buyers out there of course.

How is this even a suggestion?
  • To play the style of football Garner wants to play, you need a decent level of composure.

We have none 
    Payne has it. Morgan has it sometimes. Dobson has it. Our centre-backs mostly have it. JRS kind of has it. DJ showed it at the end. Clare...sort of has it. But the players who don't have it stick out like sore thumbs. Which is frustrating, as we're almost there, but there's a bit missing. Sessegnon can't come back soon enough