Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football Manager 2023

Comments

• edited October 2022
    Has anyone managed to play this yet?

I was going to start a season tonight but don't want to if it's got too many bugs. 
  • Haven't seen it yet but interested to know if Haaland has 20 stats for pretty much everything.
  • edited October 2022
    I downloaded it and found my macbook was only capable of running one league on small database. On FM21 I could run 5 leagues on medium database. Got a quick refund from Steam. 
  • Chunes said:
    I downloaded it and found my macbook was only capable of running one league on small database. On FM21 I could run 5 leagues on medium database. Got a quick refund from Steam. 
    Is that based on playing it or the star ratings? You can ignore the latter, they're not always accurate.
  • Played the beta finally last night. Started with Charlton whilst I get to grips with it though saying that not much has changed!

2nd after 6 games. Think ive had 4 penalties so far so hope they sort that out as have had 2 against me aswell!!
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Is that based on playing it or the star ratings? You can ignore the latter, they're not always accurate.
    Oh really? What an eejit. Should have given it a go I guess but it was giving me half a star for three leagues. I'll download it again sometime later.

I'm still enjoying FM21. Finally in 2032 my Charlton team has found its missing pieces and gone 42 games unbeaten. 
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Oh really? What an eejit. Should have given it a go I guess but it was giving me half a star for three leagues. I'll download it again sometime later.

I'm still enjoying FM21. Finally in 2032 my Charlton team has found its missing pieces and gone 42 games unbeaten. 
    Yeah they really don’t mean much. I also find the star ratings sometimes change based on what else you have open at the time.

The speed of the game is subjective, what’s acceptable to one person could be too slow for someone else.
  • Anyone able to get the recruitment focus working? No matter what criteria I set my scouts don't recommend any players
  • Anyone able to get the recruitment focus working? No matter what criteria I set my scouts don't recommend any players
    Not even Macauley Bonne?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Anyone able to get the recruitment focus working? No matter what criteria I set my scouts don't recommend any players
    Not even Macauley Bonne?
    I might try sign him TBF. I've scored 3 goals in the first 5 games
  • edited December 2022
    MarkyE83 said:
    Looks good, played around 6hrs so far. The Charlton squad isn’t too bad.

Don’t forget the Joe Gomez transfer clause. Game changer.
    How much?

Can you 'cash' in on it, only got a transfer budget with Charlton of 25k!!
  • Scoham said:
    Much needed update for me. The new recruitment focus feature hasn't worked since day 1. Hopefully this fixes it.

Shame it'll probably ruin my tactic!
  • edited December 2022
    MarkyE83 said:
    Looks good, played around 6hrs so far. The Charlton squad isn’t too bad.

Don’t forget the Joe Gomez transfer clause. Game changer.
    How much?

Can you 'cash' in on it, only got a transfer budget with Charlton of 25k!!
    About 3.5million! Bought and loaned some cracking players!

Allowed to get some young frees in for cashing in later!
  • I am really struggling with this, what formation do you lifers play? 
  • I've always favoured narrow formations on football manager unless you have real top quality wingers, a 4-3-1-2 is my usual choice.  I've just started a Derby season and I'm trying out a 4-3-2-1 as a change, fully expect to go back to a 4-3-1-2 though if the wide men don't do well. 
  • I’m finding that attacking formations are working a lot better this game.
    im running with a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 and had nothing but success
  • edited December 2022
    I am really struggling with this, what formation do you lifers play? 
    I don't stick to any formation across teams, generally whatever suits the players in the squad (although I've never had much luck with a 3-5-2). Usually a flat back 4 with full-backs on wing-back duty and either a DM or 2 CMs with one on defensive duty and the other on support.

The game-changer for me was learning to give less team instructions. I just give a few per section and only the most important ones. The rest I leave blank. I find if you overload the team instructions, your players don't adapt on the pitch and are often stuck trying things that aren't working.

Then I make sure my formation has adequate defensive cover with and without the ball, and that it has enough players making attacking runs, plus one or two attacking players that are creating space with their movement for others to run into. (For example a deep-lying forward to draw a defender out and an inside-forward winger to attack the space he leaves).
  • Managed to get Charlton to the PL. Currently 2nd from bottom after 12 games, and my job status is very insecure. Gotta love the loyalty 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    I am really struggling with this, what formation do you lifers play? 
    I don't stick to any formation across teams, generally whatever suits the players in the squad (although I've never had much luck with a 3-5-2). Usually a flat back 4 with full-backs on wing-back duty and either a DM or 2 CMs with one on defensive duty and the other on support.

The game-changer for me was learning to give less team instructions. I just give a few per section and only the most important ones. The rest I leave blank. I find if you overload the team instructions, your players don't adapt on the pitch and are often stuck trying things that aren't working.

Then I make sure my formation has adequate defensive cover with and without the ball, and that it has enough players making attacking runs, plus one or two attacking players that are creating space with their movement for others to run into. (For example a deep-lying forward to draw a defender out and an inside-forward winger to attack the space he leaves).
    Cheers mate. I give that a go.!
  • Last night I completed back to back promotions to get the Addicks back to the Premier League (no one else cares so Im sharing here). 

Miles Leaburn is unreal, 17 goals in league one and then 29 in the Championship. Aaron Henry as well has been a regular starter. 

I started on the original ME and so a low block 442 worked ok but since the update Ive gone high line high press and its worked unbelievably well. Definitely second the suggestion of less team instructions, this clicked for me last year and now I keep it as simple as possible. Two Pressing Forwards seem to cause havoc. 
  • Certainly seems little too easy so far this year, I'm 12 games into a season with Derby and we've only conceded 3 goals. Two of those came in 1 game when I went down to 9 men and we still managed to draw. 

• Finally started playing it. Feels identical to last year except with some added annoying complications to things like recruitment. Other than that it's the same, only we're much, much worse. Managed to win L1 easily though. Chuks immediately got injured for 2 months in game one so I brought in Jack Vale on loan and he scored 32 goals. Got in two proper LBs as well, seemed to do the trick. Real Charlton take note. I've found it's impossible to sell players on this edition though. They're all getting upset when they don't play and threatening to leave on Bosmans 18 months down the line (oh no, please don't go Terrell Thomas..) but no club wants to come in for them even when they have basically no transfer fee and are on tiny wages. It's odd. And annoying. I'm also in a running feud with Chuks where he's killing me on wage but no-one can even afford to cover his salary on a loan. I hate him.
    Also, if you do manage to get promoted, you really do have to cash in that Gomez clause immediately. I got rid of Stockley and some of Chuks' wage off the bill and I still had nothing. Signed Jay Dasilva on 9k and John-Jules on 5k and I was immediately over my budget. That extra £5m is the only thing standing between you and wishing you'd renewed Ryan Inniss's contract. Pissing the Championship though. A couple of generous loans and some cheapo free transfers and you can do alright without too much trouble
  • edited January 2023
    I gave up on Charlton when i saw the transfer budget was 25k, a bit too close to home!
  • Finally started playing it. Feels identical to last year except with some added annoying complications to things like recruitment. Other than that it's the same, only we're much, much worse. Managed to win L1 easily though. Chuks immediately got injured for 2 months in game one so I brought in Jack Vale on loan and he scored 32 goals. Got in two proper LBs as well, seemed to do the trick. Real Charlton take note. I've found it's impossible to sell players on this edition though. They're all getting upset when they don't play and threatening to leave on Bosmans 18 months down the line (oh no, please don't go Terrell Thomas..) but no club wants to come in for them even when they have basically no transfer fee and are on tiny wages. It's odd. And annoying. I'm also in a running feud with Chuks where he's killing me on wage but no-one can even afford to cover his salary on a loan. I hate him.
    Also, if you do manage to get promoted, you really do have to cash in that Gomez clause immediately. I got rid of Stockley and some of Chuks' wage off the bill and I still had nothing. Signed Jay Dasilva on 9k and John-Jules on 5k and I was immediately over my budget. That extra £5m is the only thing standing between you and wishing you'd renewed Ryan Inniss's contract. Pissing the Championship though. A couple of generous loans and some cheapo free transfers and you can do alright without too much trouble
    I had the problem with selling as well. When I got to the prem I still had a load of the original squad on the payroll, in the end had to offer them out for no fee and managed to get rid of them. 

I’m 25 games into my 3rd prem season, finished 12th, 10th and on course for mid table mediocrity again. My squad seems to have the same problem as the real life prem years in that I get to 40 points and then can’t win again. Miles got 19 goals in each of my first two premier league seasons but has only 5 this year due to injury and competition.

been my own worst enemy really as each yeah I’ve changed tactics half way through the year, tried 442, 4411, 343 and now on a 433. Each time I get a little boost in form but then seem to struggle after 10 games or so. 

What’s everyone else using? 
  • LegacyFan said:
    Finally started playing it. Feels identical to last year except with some added annoying complications to things like recruitment. Other than that it's the same, only we're much, much worse. Managed to win L1 easily though. Chuks immediately got injured for 2 months in game one so I brought in Jack Vale on loan and he scored 32 goals. Got in two proper LBs as well, seemed to do the trick. Real Charlton take note. I've found it's impossible to sell players on this edition though. They're all getting upset when they don't play and threatening to leave on Bosmans 18 months down the line (oh no, please don't go Terrell Thomas..) but no club wants to come in for them even when they have basically no transfer fee and are on tiny wages. It's odd. And annoying. I'm also in a running feud with Chuks where he's killing me on wage but no-one can even afford to cover his salary on a loan. I hate him.
    I had the problem with selling as well. When I got to the prem I still had a load of the original squad on the payroll, in the end had to offer them out for no fee and managed to get rid of them. 

I’m 25 games into my 3rd prem season, finished 12th, 10th and on course for mid table mediocrity again. My squad seems to have the same problem as the real life prem years in that I get to 40 points and then can’t win again. Miles got 19 goals in each of my first two premier league seasons but has only 5 this year due to injury and competition.

been my own worst enemy really as each yeah I’ve changed tactics half way through the year, tried 442, 4411, 343 and now on a 433. Each time I get a little boost in form but then seem to struggle after 10 games or so. 

The in-game editor works wonders!
  • LegacyFan said:
    Finally started playing it. Feels identical to last year except with some added annoying complications to things like recruitment. Other than that it's the same, only we're much, much worse. Managed to win L1 easily though. Chuks immediately got injured for 2 months in game one so I brought in Jack Vale on loan and he scored 32 goals. Got in two proper LBs as well, seemed to do the trick. Real Charlton take note. I've found it's impossible to sell players on this edition though. They're all getting upset when they don't play and threatening to leave on Bosmans 18 months down the line (oh no, please don't go Terrell Thomas..) but no club wants to come in for them even when they have basically no transfer fee and are on tiny wages. It's odd. And annoying. I'm also in a running feud with Chuks where he's killing me on wage but no-one can even afford to cover his salary on a loan. I hate him.

My only holdovers were Dobson, McGrandles and Wollacott. I've kept two of them and am currently farming out McGrandles for a fraction of his salary on loan just so he stops looking at me like that. As always you can't get a loan without paying over £1m in fees and all the wages but all teams will offer you for yours is 10% wage coverage if you're lucky. It's a very irritating game. The only player I have sold for anything like his value is Fosu, who I picked up on a free the season before while feeling annoyed that I was essentially using the same scouting system as real life Gallen.
    I've used 433 the whole way. Inverted wingers and gegenpress is always the solution. Counter-press in transition, press high out of possession and high tempo in possession. As long as you've got that happening you just need 2 players in every position. Substantially inferior players can do well with an aggressive gegenpress, it's more important that you can rotate regularly to avoid burnout and injury
  • I gave up on Charlton when i saw the transfer budget was 25k, a bit too close to home!
    You can cash the Gomez clause in straight away if you like for a few million.
  • Mrkinski said:
    LegacyFan said:

The in-game editor works wonders!
    I’m too old for that sort of trickery