Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mystery delivery

Last weekend I found a parcel outside the front door of my flat delivered by DPD. None of my neighbours know anything about it so I can't fathom how they can prove delivery as no one seems to have been photographed accepting it. Anyhow, on opening the package, correctly addressed to my flat, I found a complete EPOS system from Sum Up which I have no use for nor have I ordered. When I say complete I mean complete including instructions for set up and the necessary card to register the machine and make it live.

As I say, I have not ordered this nor do I need or want it, so my question is what is my position legally? I have no idea where it came from so cannot easily return it. DPD are their usual helpful selves when calling them and have pretty much said "We delivered it to the address on the order and have no responsibility past that point", basically it's my problem now. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem or wants a complete sum up machine coz its no use to me.

As an aside if anyone has knowledge of these things it contains a portable card reader so presumably I could offer it up to complete strangers and read their card details without their knowledge. If so I may retire somewhat earlier than planned, or doesn't it work that way? 

Comments

• Set up a little lemonade stall out the front of your flat
  • No return address at all, or company address?

Slight tangent, I'd be worried if there were gadgets coming to my address, especially if it's a flat, could be one someone was hoping to intercept it, and one way or another, they didn't pay for it themselves.
  • JWADDICK said:
    Last weekend I found a parcel outside the front door of my flat delivered by DPD. 
    So that's where our new striker went. Can you forward it to Sparrows Lane please
  • First, check nobody has bought it with your credit card, and they’ve delivered it to the cardholder address. 

I’d Judy call the company and tell them DPD won’t take it back.  Make it their problem to collect. I’d send an email to confirm so you have a paper trail. 

• No return address at all, or company address?

Slight tangent, I'd be worried if there were gadgets coming to my address, especially if it's a flat, could be one someone was hoping to intercept it, and one way or another, they didn't pay for it themselves.
    Agreed, it sounds suspicious, as if someone is using your address falsely, with a stolen card, and assuming it would be left outside for them to take

Have you contacted Sum Up themselves, maybe it as ordered from them directly?
  • That's good advice SA. The first thing I did was to check all my accounts with cards attached to make sure they hadn't been used to purchase/order it and they are currently all clear. I will keep an eye on them over the coming months to be sure.
  • SumUp are a great company - go to their website and use the chat function.
    They will resolve it.

FYI the card reader needs to be registered before you can use it. It can pay into any bank account you link to it [but only one at a time]

Depending which model you have received they go from £40 - £200 with extras.
  • Please don't go out before 6pm, you should have 5 kilo of hydro being delivered soon. I labeled it wrong.
  • shine166 said:
    Please don't go out before 6pm, you should have 5 kilo of hydro being delivered soon. I labeled it wrong.
    Now that I'd know where to unload :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• If a mystery pay as you go unregistered mobile phone also shows up and you see a little chav on a bike behaving suspiciously in the vicinity, you might have a problem with the OCG. Call Hastings Direct  B)

• So "H" is revealed at last!