Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Youngest Ever Squad In The History Of Charlton Athletic?

If not then it has to be very close to it.

I don't think that we have a single player that has hit 30 yet and this is a clear change of strategy given that we no longer have on our books, from the last 18 months, a dozen or so who are now 30 or more - the likes of Pratley (37), Gunter (33), Washington (30), Pearce (34), Henderson (34), Watson (37), Arter (32), Shinnie (33), Amos (32), Bogle (30), Oztumer (31), Souare (31) and Schwartz (33).

The average age of those who have played in the League for us has to be under 25 and whilst a strength overdone can be a weakness and it is usual to have a couple of old heads in the team, it does bode well for the future especially as we're not taking into account the numerous U21s who have done so well in the lesser competitions and have yet to make the League side.

The one thing we certainly shouldn't be hearing is "his legs have gone". Until we sign Hal Robson-Kanu on a free as our solution up top that is!

Comments

• Options
    Think you'll find the 1905 side were all 14/15/16 so no, not the youngest by a long shot.

But as a professional squad, yes it must be close.

Not sure it is necessarily a good thing though, there is a reason experience is valued in nearly all fields.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Our last promotion side was very young

Phillips 22?
    dijksteel 19/20?
    baueurr 26?
    sarr 26?
    purrington 22?

bielik 21?
    cullen 21?
    pratley 32?
    aribo 22?

Taylor 28?
    grant 22? Vetokele 28?
  • Options
    I don’t know how accurate those are as they’re off top of my head but that is only 1 over 30 and an average age of about 24?
  • Options
    Our last promotion side was very young

Phillips 22?
    dijksteel 19/20?
    baueurr 26?
    sarr 26?
    purrington 22?

bielik 21?
    cullen 21?
    pratley 32?
    aribo 22?

Taylor 28?
    grant 22? Vetokele 28?
    Side but not squad which included Marshall (31), Pearce (30), Pratley (33) and Ward (32) who made 85 combined appearances that season. Solly (27) also started more games (36) than Dijksteel did that season. We don't have anyone in the squad who is 30 and only one, Aneke, who will reach that even next season - and he hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet.
  • Options
    I prefer it that way tbh, I would be happy with it in fact if we had one more forward (ideally also sub 28) and one more defender. That said I think it’s poor and with this whole break even in Lg 1 scenario I’m not convinced Sandgaard is much more than Roland with a guitar 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I prefer it that way tbh, I would be happy with it in fact if we had one more forward (ideally also sub 28) and one more defender. That said I think it’s poor and with this whole break even in Lg 1 scenario I’m not convinced Sandgaard is much more than Roland with a guitar 
    It is probably the strategy to sign younger players that has restricted the pool we are fishing in. And it might just be that we are, actually, building for next season rather than this for that reason. The youngsters will be both a year older and that much more experienced too and easier to introduce/bed in to the side. 

The other thing to bear in mind is that, should JFC go out on loan, the player who will have played the most games for us will be Morgan - and he's 22 - which tells us all we need to know about how this is a totally new squad and perhaps another reason why TS is, actually, looking to next season. Despite the message being otherwise!
  • Options
    Think you'll find the 1905 side were all 14/15/16 so no, not the youngest by a long shot.

But as a professional squad, yes it must be close.

Not sure it is necessarily a good thing though, there is a reason experience is valued in nearly all fields.
    What was it a certain Mr A Hansen said before ManUre won the title?  "You'll win nothing with kids"?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Age is just a number.

Dobson, Lavelle, O’Connell, JFC, Stockley, McGrandles, McGillvray, Kirk, Payne, Fraser, Aneke, Clare all played 150+ games

DJ, Egbo, Innis, all played 100+ games

That’s 15 of the squad well established in 1st team professional football, and some of those outside of that (Woollcott, Sessignon, Leaburn, Clayden) actually look some of our most encouraging. 

So I’ve no concerns on that front. 
  • Options
    Age is just a number.

Dobson, Lavelle, O’Connell, JFC, Stockley, McGrandles, McGillvray, Kirk, Payne, Fraser, Aneke, Clare all played 150+ games

That’s 15 of the squad well established in 1st team professional football, and some of those outside of that (Woollcott, Sessignon, Leaburn, Clayden) actually look some of our most encouraging. 

So's height mate.
  • Options
    Age is just a number.

Comments like that don't help with the view of this forum based on that tweet last night!

Always thought you were merely in the sad anorak category mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Age is just a number.

Agreed - although the fact only one of those established players is a centre forward is a big  concern (I've written Aneke's availability off i'm afraid and even when fit i don't think he sees himself as an out an out centre forward - certainly not in a lone role). BUT I'm drawing a line under the whinging now - nothing can be done about it (bar an out of contract player) so we get on with supporting the team and hope we are pleasantly surprised - that, the up and coming crop of youngsters and the ability the manager seems to have and avoiding any of Airman's post and the future could start to look bright.