Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We might be 8th but ….

…. We have played 4 of the top 7 and all 6 games have been against top half. 

Probably quite a good return really 

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Only downer is two of our "worst" performances have come against Accrington | Cambridge

Those are the games we need to win the majority of

However it does counter the argument I'll always have, which is we will lose games in a season, that cant be avoided.

The games against the top six for me, will be games that we just cant lose.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    …. We have played 4 of the top 7 and all 6 games have been against top half. 

Probably quite a good return really 
    Think people were saying similar last season but the difference is they were all getting three points off of us.

The only team to do that to us this season so far are 3rd and won 5-0 at home today.
  • Options
    We started fast, got a goal and they then received a red card which of course meant a second goal for us. Our tails were up and though Plymouth played decently for ten men, our confidence and the speed of the game kept us on top.
    One of those days where everything seemed to click. It will happen again.

• Options
    We seem to be becoming a bit of a bogie- team for Plymouth.
  • Options
    The Plymouth game is looking more and more of a bizzare and inexplicable outlier on games so far.  Need more clinical performances and make use of our possession.
    And the classic case of opposition managers being able to study the game, and come up with solutions. The Plymouth manager got it very wrong that day
  • Options
    The Plymouth game is looking more and more of a bizzare and inexplicable outlier on games so far.  Need more clinical performances and make use of our possession.
    It is absolutely the outlier. In everything bar the Accrington game, we have only scored once (and even the Leaburn goal was 90+4). Even in the Plymouth game, the penalty combined with the sending off absolutely destroyed the game as a contest and removed the shackles. Plymouth imploded and we took advantage, but before that penalty, I still felt that that Plymouth team had a chance of pulling it back.

I like the type of football Garner is trying to bring in, but holy shit, it makes for nervous football with the players we have. If we don't put sides away, we tend to sit back further and further and invite pressure. Many of these players did the same thing under both Adkins and Jackson, and it's utterly infuriating. I've seen so many games where we play to not lose, rather than go for the win. I'll admit that games are played over a long season, but it's like they lack desire.
  • Options
    Spot on. With people at the helm that don't get that and an increasingly frustrated head of the most important department 
  • Options
    8th is about right all the time we don’t have the right type of striker.
    Stockley is great at this level, but not in our system.
    if he plays for one of the Hoofball teams, he’ll get plenty.
    we should sell him and at the very least sign a more mobile striker and possibly 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm actually encouraged over all but what might be seen today as a gritty away point against last year's play off finalists could also be seen as a story of what might have been - if we carried a more direct goal threat. For all his hard work etc. our No.9 has one penalty from six games now. It'd be such a shame if the whole season ends up being seen too as a missed opportunity.
  • Options
    Spot on. With people at the helm that don't get that and an increasingly frustrated head of the most important department 
    Why, because Garner is doing what all managers/head coaches do in the run up to the close of the window? 
  • Options
    We’re looking better and more competitive than last season but we won’t score enough goals to win enough matches to trouble the top six. I think if we had that top striker we crave we’d already have at least four more points. We don’t and we haven’t.
  • Options
    On the striker front.  

We’ve established we’ve played some contenders and held our own already, could it be Stockley is out of form?  He’s scored goals before, what’s to say when we have a run against the Morecambe’s and the Cheltenham’s he don’t bang goals in.  

I really do think we just need a bit of patience as a collective fan base, things have moved in the right direction so far this season that’s a given.  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We are doing well considering we need more players in key positions and credit to that must go the Garner. But we have to sustain and even improve over a long season. We have three first team strikers, one is struggling in the new system, although that could change with some tweaks, one is always injured and the third shows bags of potential but is not ready to lead the line in the formation we play.

In terms of our centre halves, I'd be telling Pearce to keep himself fit. He is not registerred as a player but that can be chnged very quickly.
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    It is absolutely the outlier. In everything bar the Accrington game, we have only scored once (and even the Leaburn goal was 90+4). Even in the Plymouth game, the penalty combined with the sending off absolutely destroyed the game as a contest and removed the shackles. Plymouth imploded and we took advantage, but before that penalty, I still felt that that Plymouth team had a chance of pulling it back.

I like the type of football Garner is trying to bring in, but holy shit, it makes for nervous football with the players we have. If we don't put sides away, we tend to sit back further and further and invite pressure. Many of these players did the same thing under both Adkins and Jackson, and it's utterly infuriating. I've seen so many games where we play to not lose, rather than go for the win. I'll admit that games are played over a long season, but it's like they lack desire.
    We have literally done the opposite of that this entire season. 

On our current league position. People should ask themselves where they think Ipswich and us would be if our fixtures were reversed, and we got to play some of the really out of form teams at the bottom of the table.

Plymouth is not an ‘outlier’ it was just a team who came to play football, and then ended up with 10 men.

We’ve played Accrington, Wycombe and Sheffield Wednesday away from home. Two of them made the play offs last year and all of them had strong home records where they only lost 5, 4, and 3 games respectively.

Our other 3 home games have been against a team people will expect to be around automatics, another who will likely be pushing for play offs, and the final one against a team with a great young manager who has turned them into a competitive established league one team (though we really should have won that game). 

Yet we have only lost one of those games, have competed in all of them, and have certainly not ‘sat back’ and defended for our lives and buckled under pressure, even if we have been scrappy, which we would have done in previous years. 

Wigan monstered the league last year and still got 11 draws and 8 losses. The sort of results we have had, against tough opposition is completely normal. 

When we start playing Morecambe, Cheltenham, Forest Green etc, who will still be tough, and not picking up 3 points then I’ll be the first to be complaining about it. But until
    then have some perspective and some respect for how good some of the teams in this league are especially at home.

*oh by the way this whole post is not saying we don’t need more players. We do. But that also does not mean we are doing badly either. 

Agree with all of this … but, as you infer, it’s all a waste of time if we don’t get in another striker 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    P6 W2 D3 L1. 

Our 6 games all vs teams in the current top 12.  They all came above us last season apart from Cambridge who finished one place behind.  

We've made a good start.  And we have some entitled whiny fans who are currently stamping their feet because we’re not top right now.

Judge Ben Garner's 4-3-3 after 10 matches and at the moment there are positives but we look like drawing most matches other than the Plymouth game when we were excellent other than at 3-0 up when we took a time out and didn't know whether to stick or twist.

My prediction on Charlton have been far too accurate in recent seasons including the 7th two seasons ago and mid table 10th to 13th the day JJ took over as caretaker, depending on injuries and the January window. I thought that was a decent finish for JJ but that included two 4-0 thrashings against Oxford and Ipswich and suddenly the myriad of 2-0 victories at the Valley were reclassified as shit by charlton fans as we didn't emulate the 1970 Brazil team and play with enough style !

I've turned into Mark Steel 🤦🏻‍♂️but not by supporting my local Premier team.

Please put Kanu in the 18 man squad from September when the window closes. The best finisher at the club can surely be worth playing even 25 minute cameos as he will be 18 in November as isn't exactly tiny and can play in any of the front 3 positions.

Of course the down side is he will be gone by January window if he scores a few goals similar to Burstow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    P6 W2 D3 L1. 

Our 6 games all vs teams in the current top 12.  They all came above us last season apart from Cambridge who finished one place behind.  

We've made a good start.  And we have some entitled whiny fans who are currently stamping their feet because we’re not top right now.
    not to mention a (mini?) cup run which is basically unheard of 

we have also seen some flipping cracking goals already - a couple of youth players coming through and making a real stamp on the first team... I am massively encouraged by this start - the foot stampers are sounding more and more like the "massives" every day
  • Options
    P6 W2 D3 L1. 

The most overused and misused word on CL this decade so far.
    100 % Agree. 
    Because we are pissed off spending so many season In league one we are entitled. 
    What a load of bollox 
    expecting a 5-1 win every week....

lol

sorry football doesn't work that way
  • Options
    P6 W2 D3 L1. 

100 % Agree. 
    Because we are pissed off spending so many season In league one we are entitled. 
    What a load of bollox 

lol

I don't think I've ever expected a 5_1 victory in my life.
    Nice try at making up what I've actually said.
    P6 W2 D3 L1. 

100 % Agree. 
    What a load of bollox 

lol

ok how about telling us what you do expect then? apparently what we are building isn't good enough for you
  • Options
    P6 W2 D3 L1. 

100 % Agree. 
    What a load of bollox 

lol

P6 W2 D3 L1. 

100 % Agree. 
    What a load of bollox 

lol

ok how about telling us what you do expect then? apparently what we are building isn't good enough for you
    Ok.
    Idont expect premier league football again in my lifetime. 
    Unless of course some billionaire turns up.
    I've never seen us win a major trophy and I probably never will.
    But expecting us to be able to get back to the championship does not make me entitled. 
    Unfortunately under Sandgaard I can't see this happening. 
    we want the same thing.
  • Options
    We’ve played 0 of the 8 favourites for relegation.  Probably had the toughest start of any club in our league, they’ve done very good all considered, 4 injuries players too.