Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missing student nurse found - strange story?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62649615

First of all, brilliant that she has been found safe and (apparently) well. 

Must admit I was aware of the story in the peripheral but had not really looked into it too much aside from knowing she was missing, but actually reading the story on BBC news it seems like something more than meets the eye here (or is it just me?) 

Girl approaching the end of her studies to become a nurse, one day says to her mum she's off to the gym, disappears for two days, and is then located sleeping on a friends doorstep - approached by police but she claims she is fine and leaves the scene, then "disappears" for a further 7 weeks until being located today miles away in Hampshire seemingly absolutely fine, safe and well.

What makes it strange to me, is the fact that even despite her face being on many news outlets and broadcasts for weeks, 5 people being arrested for her murder/kidnapping - she never came forward even in a discrete way to say she was alive and fine and just didn't wish to be contacted or whatever.

A huge amount of police time put into the case and obviously still lots of facts to be established, but it all just seems rather odd all around. 

Comments

• Options
    Presumably the people charged with murder will have the charges dropped then. When they get round to it. So in about 6 months then!
  • Options
    remember Agatha Christie !
  • Options
    remember Agatha Christie !
    I remember reading about that recently - didn't she fake her own death and try to frame the ex husband or am I misremembering? Didn't even mention it in her autobiography either!
  • Options
    It must be a terrible worry for friends and family, but I suspect this sort of thing might be more common than people think.

https://metro.co.uk/2015/12/29/stephen-fry-reveals-he-stopped-himself-committing-suicide-by-vanishing-from-the-public-eye-5588964/
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Presumably the people charged with murder will have the charges dropped then. When they get round to it. So in about 6 months then!
    Where was it stated that anyone had been charged? It's highly unlikely that the CPS authorised charges when no body had been found unless there was strong evidence that death had occurred. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I suspect she has a problem. Maybe stress from her course. Maybe she had a breakdown - it happened to my Mum, didn’t know who she was for two months then just woke up one day in the garden and was fine. I doubt she’s been intentionally wasting the police’s time. 
    The thing is if that's the case and she lost who she was - early in the disappearance, she had the wherewithal to locate a friends house (where she was found on the doorstep of after 2 days but the police did not know she was being looked for at the time) instinct maybe? Also she didn't indicate to police that she was in any form of trouble or didn't know who she was (although perhaps that's down to fear?) 

Also how the hell did she end up in Hampshire from Grays Essex??

As I said its all rather odd. I'm sure things will be revealed in due course.
  • Options

"The force added Ms Davies's family had spoken to her and she appeared to be fit and well cared for.

Officers will speak to Ms Davies more fully in due course about her welfare."

""She looks in good health, she's in a place of safety, and not currently in the vulnerable state that we were led to believe she was in at the start of her disappearance.""

Police delicately mentioning her welfare and vulnerable state would indicate that she's not fully in control of her actions over the past month or so. Perhaps the stress of her career was a little too much and caused a breakdown/MH issue. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Must admit I was aware of the story in the peripheral but had not really looked into it too much aside from knowing she was missing, but actually reading the story on BBC news it seems like something more than meets the eye here (or is it just me?) 

Girl approaching the end of her studies to become a nurse, one day says to her mum she's off to the gym, disappears for two days, and is then located sleeping on a friends doorstep - approached by police but she claims she is fine and leaves the scene, then "disappears" for a further 7 weeks until being located today miles away in Hampshire seemingly absolutely fine, safe and well.

What makes it strange to me, is the fact that even despite her face being on many news outlets and broadcasts for weeks, 5 people being arrested for her murder/kidnapping - she never came forward even in a discrete way to say she was alive and fine and just didn't wish to be contacted or whatever.

A huge amount of police time put into the case and obviously still lots of facts to be established, but it all just seems rather odd all around. 
    This.

Lots of people on SM over the last few weeks saying that if she was white /blonde then more would have been made if it blah blah blah....but she's been alive all this time & not given 2 fucks about contacting anyone to let them know she's ok(assuming she was supposed to be going into work all this time).

However, giving her the benefit of the doubt for a moment I'd assume that she is suffering from some MH issues or has amnesia....otherwise she has wasted a lot of peoples time.
    This is the most likely scenario I would guess. When the Police saw her after two days she was apparently in some distress but insisted she didn't need any assistance.

• Options
    I suspect she has a problem. Maybe stress from her course. Maybe she had a breakdown - it happened to my Mum, didn’t know who she was for two months then just woke up one day in the garden and was fine. I doubt she’s been intentionally wasting the police’s time. 
    Must have been hard for you - glad she recovered 
  • Options

"The force added Ms Davies's family had spoken to her and she appeared to be fit and well cared for.

""She looks in good health, she's in a place of safety, and not currently in the vulnerable state that we were led to believe she was in at the start of her disappearance.""

Police delicately mentioning her welfare and vulnerable state would indicate that she's not fully in control of her actions over the past month or so. Perhaps the stress of her career was a little too much and caused a breakdown/MH issue. 

To me that creates more questions than it answers -

-well cared for by whom? Saying that makes it appear she wasn't sleeping rough as one might think - If she was taken in by a kind stranger perhaps, why wasn't it reported considering people were being arrested and questioned for her murder? Her picture was in the news nationwide.
    -who led the police to believe she was in a vulnerable state when she disappeared - according to the mum she was just heading off to the gym like usual?  Note the wording again, "like we were led to believe" not "like we would have thought/expected" if the police that encountered her 2 days into the disappearance suspected she was vulnerable and potentially in danger in any way, would they have let her just leave like that? 

The whole thing just don't sit quite right with me.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Wrong thread
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Wrong thread
    Wrong thread me thinks.
  • Options

To me that creates more questions than it answers -

-well cared for by whom? Saying that makes it appear she wasn't sleeping rough as one might think - If she was taken in by a kind stranger perhaps, why wasn't it reported considering people were being arrested and questioned for her murder? Her picture was in the news nationwide.
    -who led the police to believe she was in a vulnerable state when she disappeared - according to the mum she was just heading off to the gym like usual?  Note the wording again, "like we were led to believe" not "like we would have thought/expected" if the police that encountered her 2 days into the disappearance suspected she was vulnerable and potentially in danger in any way, would they have let her just leave like that? 

The whole thing just don't sit quite right with me.

In any case, I would suggest just be pleased that she has been found safe and well. 

She, and her family, are entitled to privacy so I very much doubt you will find the answers to the questions you are seeking. 
    Absolutely I agree. Not meaning to come across disrespectful or anything like that, I just have a penchant for mysteries like this and I feel a little more comfortable discussing it considering the outcome is a seemingly relatively positive one. 
  • Options

How did they manage to arrest people for murder without any evidence whatsoever that she was even in any danger, never mind dead?

Where is she? We don't know. What harm has come to her? We don't know. Is she dead? We don't know. But we're arresting you for murder.
  • Options

How did they manage to arrest people for murder without any evidence whatsoever that she was even in any danger, never mind dead?

Where is she? We don't know. What harm has come to her? We don't know. Is she dead? We don't know. But we're arresting you for murder.
    I think the police have a lot to look at all around regarding this case - she wasn't added to the database of missing people 2 days after being reported missing which meant the police missed the opportunity to get this the girl the help she may/may not have needed and allowed this to drag on for 7 weeks. That needs to be looked at as a matter of urgency. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

From what I recall there was CCTV showing her in a road & going into a house but not coming out or seen leaving the road. With nothing else to go on & no sightings of her a week or so afterwards the police entered the property & went from there. I think once you arrest someone for a crime you are then allowed to search the property, so probably more of a means to an end. 
  • Options

From what I recall there was CCTV showing her in a road & going into a house but not coming out or seen leaving the road. With nothing else to go on & no sightings of her a week or so afterwards the police entered the property & went from there. I think once you arrest someone for a crime you are then allowed to search the property, so probably more of a means to an end. 
    Yep and with an arrest on suspicion of murder are likely to get more time to questions suspects if required. And most people won’t give a no comment interview when arrested for murder if they didn’t do it, even if guilty of lessor offences they might be prepared to give useful information 
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Cover their backs and be shown to be doing something presumably.

Glad she's safe and well and hope the person(s) arrested on suspicion of her murder (is this a fact?), don't have any long lasting mental effects from their ordeal. Thats assuming they're completely innocent of any other wrongdoing linked to her disappearance. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Gribbo said:

Glad she's safe and well and hope the person(s) arrested on suspicion of her murder (is this a fact?), don't have any long lasting mental effects from their ordeal. Thats assuming they're completely innocent of any other wrongdoing linked to her disappearance. 
    reported on the BBC article I quoted - so I assume yes.

edit "Five people were arrested and bailed in connection with her disappearance - two on suspicion of murder and three on suspicion of kidnap - but the Met later said there was no evidence that she had come to harm."
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

reported on the BBC article I quoted - so I assume yes.

edit "Five people were arrested and bailed in connection with her disappearance - two on suspicion of murder and three on suspicion of kidnap - but the Met later said there was no evidence that she had come to harm."
    Yeah just been reading it myself. Seems iffy
  • Options
    I think the arrests are one of the odd things about this case: the police accepting that if someone doesn't want help there's nothing they can do is par for the course as far as I can see. One of my partner's relatives is like this - refuses any help - so unless he commits a crime the police can't or won't do anything. He  needs help but doesn't want it. There are no alternatives to the police for most mental health issues either, which is part of the problem. I'm not a big fan of the police but they're in a difficult position of being the people who have to pick up the pieces when there are no other services out there dealing with mental health. 
    Glad the woman has been found. 
  • Options
    Doesn’t pass the sniff test does it. I imagine in the next week the truth will come out.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    I think the arrests are one of the odd things about this case: the police accepting that if someone doesn't want help there's nothing they can do is par for the course as far as I can see. One of my partner's relatives is like this - refuses any help - so unless he commits a crime the police can't or won't do anything. He  needs help but doesn't want it. There are no alternatives to the police for most mental health issues either, which is part of the problem. I'm not a big fan of the police but they're in a difficult position of being the people who have to pick up the pieces when there are no other services out there dealing with mental health. 
    Glad the woman has been found. 
    That may very well be true regarding not wanting help, but it doesn't preclude the fact that this girl was reported missing 2 days before but she wasn't put onto the missing persons register so the police had no idea what they were dealing with, and the resources that were put in as a result may not have been required.
  • Options

Yeah i just think arresting someone on suspicion of kidnapping/abduction would've been more appropriate. But arresting someone for murder when you've no evidence at all that she's even been harmed, never mind dead just seems a bit over the top.
  • Options

Good to read that the Det Chief Superintendent heading up the investigation had been "... praying for this outcome". Hugely impressed!