Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walsall vs Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 Aug - 7pm KO | League Cup 2nd Round | Match Preview

Walsall vs Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 23rd August 2022 - 7pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ollie Yates

Introduction
Charlton head North of the Watford Gap tomorrow night for the 2nd Round of the League Cup with Walsall the hosts.

With the early rounds of the competition regionalised, it has left fans bemused that our opponents find themselves in the Southern section of the draw, whilst other teams (Aston Villa and Birmingham City) further South, find themselves in the Northern Section of the draw - This is our first visit to the 2nd Round (when entering at the first stage) since 2017 with the Addicks losing 4-1 at Norwich City... You have go back to 2015 to find a season where the Addicks won two rounds in this competition.

The Opposition
Name: Walsall (League Two) | Manager: Michael Flynn
Ground: Bescott Stadium
Previous Round: Walsall 2-0 Swindon Town

When the draw for this 2nd Round was made; Walsall found themselves top of the table having won their opening two League games, their form has dipped since, with two draws and a defeat seeing them dropping to 9th place in the League - Our own opponents are at this stage of the League Cup since 2018, and are also looking to reach the 3rd Round for the first time since 2015...

One side tomorrow night will break that duck.

Timmy Abraham will be one to watch, having started his career within the Charlton Academy, before moving to Fulham

Charlton Team News
Injuries have once again left the Addicks depleted - In ordinary circumstances the likes of Conor McGrandles would earn a start in this competition, especially with the lack of minutes so far... Unsurprisingly there will be a number of absentees, which will once again give opportunities to the likes of Sam Lavelle | Aaron Henry | Charles Clayden to stake a claim in the starting eleven.

It is unknown if Jes Rak-Sakyi will be eligible for this game, and will depend upon the terms of his loan agreement.

Dobson | MacGillivray | Blackett-Taylor | O'Connell have all had spells with the Saddlers

Wollacott
Clare - Lavelle - O'Connell - Clayden
Forster-Caskey - Henry - Payne
Jaiyesimi - Leaburn - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Inniss - Chin - Fraser - Dobson - Ness - Kanu - Morgan - Stockley

Prediction
As shown against QPR this is a team that can challenge anyone on their day, our opponents are a league lower, but form against the likes of Accrington and Cambridge has shown that a well organised defence can be difficult to break down - However with youngsters looking to prove themselves, I suspect this should result in a win for the Addicks, without requiring a penalty shootout.

Comments

• Options
    I think your midfield is what he will play, I suspect the back 4 and front 3 will be younger.

We aren't there yet but it's starting to strain already.  Don't think he will risk both full backs, O'Connell and Kirk.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think your midfield is what he will play, I suspect the back 4 and front 3 will be younger.

We aren't there yet but it's starting to strain already.  Don't think he will risk both full backs, O'Connell and Kirk.
    Not sure Kirk is that crucial , but otherwise I agree 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We need a morale boosting result to asuage all the negativity around the gaff and dampen any wildfires about, lack of funds or lack of planning on the part of the ownership.

2-1 to Warsaw
  • Options
    Chin not Clare, remember it was Ness at right back at the end of the last game. He may be at CB this time.
  • Options
    I hope the amusingly named Jack Earing plays for Walsall. Ditto Liam Kinsella (son of Mark).

Garner has talked about using the squad tomorrow, but we don't actually have that many players to rotate back in unless the likes of Egbo and DJ are back from injury. If JFC isn't completely out of favour, he has to play.
  • Options
    Another draw, another penalty shootout but this time we lose 

Concentrate on the league/buy a striker/drop (insert pet hated player)/start (any youth player who did well).

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not sure Kirk is that crucial , but otherwise I agree 
    He is it meant we were down to just DJ and JRS.
  • Options
    Went to school in the same year as Hayden White, Walsall’s right back. Hope whoever plays on our left gives him a torrid time. He always played up front but seems to have forged a career in the lower leagues as a full back. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We made it through to the second round in 2020. Due to COVID had to miss out on a big evening at the London Stadium and a 3-0 loss to West Ham. 

No reason why we can’t win tomorrow night. 

• Options
    Hate this question, but will tickets be available on the door?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Bring your boots, you'll get on the bench
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Available - they’ll be trying to give them to any passer by.
  • Options
    I think we might see Chin play, but sadly out of position at left back. 
  • Options
    Walsall find themselves smack on the border between North & South.  In the good old days of Divisions 3 North & South it was Coventry who used to flip between the two Divisions depending on who had been promoted or relegated the previous season.  It’s like castling King-side or Queen-side (not really, but it’s the only chess reference that came to mind).
  • Options
    Walsall have the same injury issues as us. They have had investment and look a good bet for top7. Think we will get past them, just, 2-1 to the Addicks. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Not that it is always correct, but the marketing images for today's game that went out on social media have Clayden playing so can't see him not playing there. 

My feeling is that Stockley starts because he will want to find the back of the net. Using my sleuting skills MacGillvray also liked the 'game day' post so think he will start, and maybe the surprise inclusion of Egbo on the bench for the same reason, 

MacGillvray
    Ness - Lavelle - O'Connell - Clayden
    Leaburn - Stockley - Jaiyesimi

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Inniss - Egbo - Fraser - Dobson - Kirk - Kanu 
  • Options
    I'd like to see Clare rested. He's played a lot of football
  • Options
    Hopefully Kanu gets a chance.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Not that it is always correct, but the marketing images for today's game that went out on social media have Clayden playing so can't see him not playing there. 

My feeling is that Stockley starts because he will want to find the back of the net. Using my sleuting skills MacGillvray also liked the 'game day' post so think he will start, and maybe the surprise inclusion of Egbo on the bench for the same reason, 

MacGillvray

We can have nine subs
  • Options
    mendonca said:

MacGillvray

We can have nine subs
    Ah interesting. Depending on the Egbo situation I think Clare will be rested, so I guess you could add Chin as he has been in and around the 1st team squad already. I didn't have Morgan in the squad either as he has played a lot of minutes, so maybe another midfielder like Euan Williams? 

The team put out last cup game was much stronger then expected, but as Garner said with 9 games in 30 days and some injury issues it is hard to predict which way it will go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

MacGillvray

We can have nine subs
    Ah interesting. Depending on the Egbo situation I think Clare will be rested, so I guess you could add Chin as he has been in and around the 1st team squad already. I didn't have Morgan in the squad either as he has played a lot of minutes, so maybe another midfielder like Euan Williams? 

The team put out last cup game was much stronger then expected, but as Garner said with 9 games in 30 days and some injury issues it is hard to predict which way it will go.
    It's a crazy start to the season, 8 games in August
  • Options
    mendonca said:

MacGillvray

We can have nine subs

It's a crazy start to the season, 8 games in August
    and the season didnt even start in August either - Can thank the greed of FIFA for this clusterfuck of a season
  • Options
    Is there a stream doing the rounds for this one? 
  • Options
    Anyone know whether it'll be on international TV as previously?
  • Options
    Old school game tonight. You have to be there to witness it 
  • Options
    I like the sound of their No.8
  • Options
    Wollacott
    Barker - Lavelle - Ness - Clayden
    F.Caskey - Henry - Payne
    Jaiyesimi - Leaburn - Kanu

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Inniss - O'Connell - Fraser - Dobson - Clare - Kirk - Morgan - Stockley

Let the young lads have at it, then bring in the seniors late on if needed. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I like the sound of their No.8
    I've heard his Sister is pretty good at Gymnastics
  • Options
    Hope Kanu gets a start tonight along with some youngsters. Give Stockley and some seniors a rest.

Think we will win 1-0 or 2-1. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Anyone know whether it'll be on international TV as previously?

Doesn't look like it!