Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex-PL clubs in League 1

Looking at the names in the table in the Championship and next season could quite easily be seeing up to 3 more ex-PL clubs joining L1. This is definitely a season to make the effort to get promoted.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I know it’s not the point you were making, but there is this perception that there are loads of ex prem teams in League 1 - but there are only 7.

Looking at the efl and which teams have played in the premier league, I make it:
    Championship - 19 (All bar Rotherham, Luton, Millwall, Preston and Bristol City)
    League 1 - 7 (Charlton, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wed, Barnsley, Derby and Bolton)
    League 2 - 3 (Swindon, Bradford and AFC Wimbledon, (who I’ve included, which I guess is correct as they now own the Wimbledon history, right?))

So if none of the 7 League 1 teams go up or down, none of the 5 exceptions from the Championship go down, and all of the ex-prems from league 2 go up, we could have 13 ex prems in league 1 next year.

(Also, Oldham are in the National league, so if they got consecutive promotions, while again, no ex prems leave league one and another three come down from the champ, there could be 17 in league 1 in two years. That’s the absolute maximum. Still doesn’t seem that many, somehow!)

[Edited to correct missing Bradford.
    Thanks @MaxicoCity ]
  • Options
    Bradford in L2 as well  :)
  • Options
    I know it’s not the point you were making, but there is this perception that there are loads of ex prem teams in League 1 - but there are only 7.

Looking at the efl and which teams have played in the premier league, I make it:
    Championship - 19 (All bar Rotherham, Luton, Millwall, Preston and Bristol City)
    League 1 - 7 (Charlton, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wed, Barnsley, Derby and Bolton)
    League 2 - 2 (Swindon and AFC Wimbledon, (who I’ve included, which I guess is correct as they now own the Wimbledon history, right?))

So if none of the 7 League 1 teams go up or down, none of the 5 exceptions from the Championship go down, and both of the ex-prems from league 2 go up, we could have 12 ex prems in league 1 next year.

(Also, Oldham are in the National league, so if they got consecutive promotions, while again, no ex prems leave league one and another three come down from the champ, there could be 16 in league 1 in two years. That’s the absolute maximum. Still doesn’t seem that many, somehow!)
    lighting blue touch paper..! 
  • Options
    Bradford in L2 as well  :)
    Quite right. Good spot. 👍🏼
  • Options
    Oldham in the National League 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Oldham in the National League 
    Yep. Mentioned them. Cheers.
  • Options
    Why do we have to pretend that football suddenly changed in 1992? All that happened was a name change. The rules and teams were the same.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Why do we have to pretend that football suddenly changed in 1992? All that happened was a name change. The rules and teams were the same.
    Stadiums have changed, players are fitter, training has evolved, fan bases have grown and those teams that have had a spell in the PL have benefited most from both the money and the experience. Early days yet but 7 of the top 9 in L1 are the ex-PL clubs. Doesn’t work so well in the Championship because there are even more of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stadiums have changed, players are fitter, training has evolved, fan bases have grown and those teams that have had a spell in the PL have benefited most from both the money and the experience. Early days yet but 7 of the top 9 in L1 are the ex-PL clubs. Doesn’t work so well in the Championship because there are even more of them.
    Exactly - you used the present perfect tense which indicates that these things have happened over a period of indefinite time. If theses things had changed at one moment in time, in this case the close season of 1992 then you would have used the past simple. Not doing so  inadvertently adds to my argument.

In addition, football was constantly developing prior to 1992. Why not cut off all statistics from '62, '72 or '82? It's a nonsense.