Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th August 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 13th August 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Madden

Introduction
Well on the basis of results so far, you could say that there has been some kind of progress compared with 12-months ago... Perhaps the hardest challenge of them all is out of the way for Ben Garner, he has that first win, and now has something to build upon... We travel to Sheffield Wednesday with four points already in the bag, it took until the next of August, and five games to achieve that last term. Lose our next three we're in the same position, not resting in this Sport!!

The Opposition
Name: Sheffield Wednesday () | Manager: Darren Moore
Ground: Hillsborough
Previous League Result: Milton Keynes 0-1 Sheff Wed

The Fans: Opinion after the game on Saturday, was that the home side had a lot of the ball (as expected), and that a side with better finishing could have hurt them.

The Opposition Manager: Was perhaps more focused on a penalty that shouldn't have been last Saturday, whilst berating Goalkeeper: Stockdale who was a nemesis in making a number of key saves.

The Situation: Well I got it wrong last season with Wednesday, I thought they'd be hurting after relegation and financial issues, and so would have to settle for a season of recovery - Instead they deservedly finished in the Play-Offs, under a very good Manager at this level, and were unlucky to reach the Final - This season my opinion is the reverse, we're looking at one of the top two sides this coming Saturday, hopefully I'm wrong again... However our opponents are now allowed to spend on Transfer fees again, something that would have hampered them last term.

Focus On... Darren Moore: Yay opinion time again... Honestly... Darren Moore should not be a Manager at this level; Wednesday made a great decision appointing him prior to their relegation from the Championship. As he showed when Doncaster visited in 2020, he's a Manager who can setup sides that will hurt you, and I still believe it was a mistake for West Brom to sack him in 2019, even if they did get promoted a year later.

Team News
Charlton's win on Tuesday night will have given Manager: Ben Garner a headache or two no doubt - Both Sam Lavelle, and Diallang Jaiyesimi impressed, and I'd expect the latter to return to the team, what with us being away from home, given he's a better defender than Charlie Kirk... Of course we could yet see Jesurun Rak-Sakyi involved if he signs prior to 12noon tomorrow (?), although I expect his first appearance will be from the bench at least.

You'd expect Conor McGrandles to miss out, as per the protocols surrounding concussion injuries

Wollacott
Clare - Inniss - O'Connell - Sessegnon
Morgan - Dobson - Payne
Jaiyesimi - Stockley - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray | Lavelle | Fraser | Clayden | Leaburn | Kirk | Rak-Sakyi

Both Akin Famewo (V900) and Michael Smith (V739) look set to miss the game against their old Employers, Famewo earnt his first start at Stadium:MK last weekend, but was subbed on 29mins, and left the game on crutches.

Prediction
Is there going to be a tougher venue than Hillsborough this season? - Well apart from the Valley

Its never great taking this approach, but if we can avoid defeat on Saturday then we may well be on to something - If we want to be fighting for the Play-Offs this season, then we need to continue to take whatever points we can from these big games... We'll need to impose ourselves better on games, compared with last Saturday - We wont always get lucky in that regard!!

Ticket Thread

Comments

• edited August 2022
    2 wins from the last 10 league visits to Hillsborough 

Free kick winner from Johnnie Jackson and the other win courtesy of a hat trick from Marvellous Marvin Sordell
  • edited August 2022
    For me this is the toughest game of the season. Really fancy Sheffield for promotion. Best manager in the division, probably best player in Bannan and they have two top league one strikers in Smith & Gregory. Confident to say if we finish above Wednesday, we will be in championship next season.

Pleased we already have 4 points on the board as thing will a really tough test. Hoping it a good time to play them at the start of the season. Went up there last season and was a 2-0 thrashing (lucky to get nil).

Feel like if we can get a positive result then I think other teams will start to take us seriously.

1-1 draw. 

• edited August 2022
    Relax…this season every game for me is a must win.
    Points gained early on are as good as points gained later.

If on the other hand it is about mentality I think playing for a draw is not a great approach.
  • edited August 2022
    It'll be VERY hot so I expect a slow game with plenty of water breaks and substitutions
    I keep writing this, BUT this game will tell us a lot more about our team. I expect a good result, if only a draw  a hard fought one

Sheffield Wednesday 1 v CAFC 1
  • seth plum said:
    If on the other hand it is about mentality I think playing for a draw is not a great approach.
    Yeah that I do agree with, I think you're right in the sense that the team have to go into each game with mentality you have.
  • Good line up - more energy with Payne rather than Fraser
  • Sponsored links:

• Another tough game but I can see us getting something from it . I’m going for a 0-0 
  • I see the referee is Bobby Madden. Scottish fifa referee who has moved to England will now referee in League 1 and 2. Will be interesting how he does this weekend. Can't be as hard as Celtic vs Rangers surely 😀
  • I think Kirk will start, Garner seems to like him and probably thinks it’s important he gets a run of games.

Will be one of our toughest games of the season. Wednesday looked good against Sunderland last night (albeit in the League Cup). 
  • Winsome dryad Kirk, up against the biggest, baddest team of bastards in League One? I mean, maybe it'd work, but equally maybe he'll be reduced to a quivering, peripheral wreck. I'll trust Garner's judgement either way
  • I agree with the line up. Payne looks like an exciting player and has the "X" factor, so I really hope he starts. I can see us scoring, but I can also see us conceding more. I am hoping for a good performance, but expecting a narrow 2-1 defeat. I agree with others that this could be the toughest away game of the season. 
  • I can also see this being a really attractive game with both teams trying to play. I think we will lose this one as imo they will be right up there this season, however if we can get a result of any kind I think we can start believing !

I'm going for a 3-1 but alot of positives to come out for us in terms of how we played but rue some missed chances
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Extended Highlights of Milton Keynes vs Sheffield Wednesday last week

Can see why Manning was pissed off about the penalty, shocking refereeing, as Wendies bloke jumps into the area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZt4hkK00g

Extended highlights too off Sheff Wed vs Portsmouth on the opening day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXd4OKh2VkA
  • I'm hoping for a point, and I'll be very happy if we get it.
  • They looked the better side against Sunderland last night - i'd take a draw - from FA's line up,  if mgrandles was a bit more up to speed, i'd play him in the middle and push Payne up in place of DJ. Will need everybody at full tilt for this one   
  • 1-1 draw. Stockley for us.
  • Excellent preview as usual FA . 

Before the season started I would have said 2 0 to the massives. 
    But I am starting to buy into what Garner is trying to do.
    2 1 Charlton with a brace for Payne 
  • Gotta strange feeling and it ain't underpants that are just a tad too small now.

1-0 to the Addicks.
  • 0-5 Charlton

Kirk, Payne, Stockley, Stockley, Leaburn 
    Great, I’ll some of what you’re drinking, in fact if Carlsberg did football results this would be the result up at Wednesday 😃
  • Wednesday conceded a few from crosses last season and against Pompey so hopefully Stockley can open his account for the season. Confidently going for a 1-1