Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just back from the Gills...

Was very impressed by Samedo (spl?) in the centre of midfield, was very commanding and did all the simple stuff well.

Big Chris is going to play the Shaun Bartlett role and looks similar in front of goal, but will be a good foil for Todorov.

Reid looked class.

Discussion in the car after that we need another centre midfield player.

Bar that was a good day. Large turnout of Charlton which surprised me.

Gillingham looked p-sspoor and will struggle this season.

Normally I hate pre season games but this was a rare good Charlton pre season match.

Add Gillingham to Deptford in my 'towns' that need flattening'

What a horrible place.

Comments

• 'Finisterre: to tear it down and start again.'
  • edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Was very impressed by Samedo (spl?) in the centre of midfield, was very commanding and did all the simple stuff well.

Big Chris is going to play the Shaun Bartlett role and looks similar in front of goal, but will be a good foil for Todorov.

Reid looked class.

Discussion in the car after that we need another centre midfield player.

Bar that was a good day. Large turnout of Charlton which surprised me.

Add Gillingham to my 'towns' that need flattening'

What a horrible place.

Can't disagree with any of this.

Add to the above that Ambrose and Thomas look really good at this level and i felt sorry for Simon Royce.
  • Pards interview on the os says that he has told the chairman he wants 3 more - I'd guess that 2 of those would be midfielders. No sign of Dickson?
  • What impressed me most was that we tried to play football from the start. Lots of short passes & movement. No lumping the ball up to big Chris to try & win in the air. It was a very impressive display of pass & move football until all the late substitutions took the edge off. My only concern was that big Chris looked a bit of a spare part at times as he kept waiting for that high cross to come into the box. I do have to say though that Gillingham were a very poor team.
  • Dickson is injured Stevie Brown said on the BBC London Comentary we are down to the last to stikers.
  • Pardew made a big mistake letting lisbie leave for free, now we are down to 2 strikers.
  • But then we'd still only have 2 strikers?
  • [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Pards interview on the os says that he has told the chairman he wants 3 more - I'd guess that 2 of those would be midfielders. No sign of Dickson?

Sinclair is one of the three, as the interview was done before his deal was completed and Pards said today he wanted 2 more. I thought it was more interesting that Steve Brown had heard there would be a couple more departures that haven't been rumoured yet and he felt if those players go, we would definitely need a few more players to have the strenght of squad which we'll need.
  • certainly sounds like there were a lot more positives than negatives. Trips abroad ome sometimes go wrong for clubs, sounds like we got out of ours everything we needed.
  • edited July 2007
    I thought we look alright, not yes we're gonna win the league stuff, but ok.

Just realised this morning that the big lump who came on in the 2nd half and had the control of Shane Westley was Paddy MacCarthy :o(

I think that was the fun of yesterday, just seeing players who are hungry and *wanting* to play.

Looking at yesterday it does seem a *very* young squad though, even Sir Chris looked 18............!

Am I the only one typing into google news 'Marcus Bent', EVERY DAY, in the hope that he sods off pretty sharpish??
  • Sponsored links:

• Re Strikers

What happened to Luke Varney? I thought he would feature - injured?

We do still have Marcus Bent - no one will take him even with a free after his barren season last year.

I thought yesterday was very encouraging, agree with the other comments, Reidy and Semedo impressed. Todorov (although he scored one and made one) looked slow. Moutaouakil looked a threat getting well forward, seemed to be playing wing back, had a couple of (wayward) shots too - a replacement for Young and El-Karkouri. Ambrose a Thomas look like they will do well at Championship level. I hope we can hang on to Diawarra.
  • Varney is injured (ankle). Very doubtful for the opening game against Scunnie.
  • todorov was never linford christie mate
  • Toddy does not need to be fast, how fast were either Andy Hunt or Clive Mendonca when they were banging in 28 goals in the CCC? Toddy is a link-up man with brains and may well prove to be our best buy if he stays fit and we play to his strengths.
  • edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Am I the only one typing into google news 'Marcus Bent', EVERY DAY, in the hope that he sods off pretty sharpish??
    lol!! More because of his wages than anything .....
    Actually it is Faye I'd prefer to see the back off to be honest ...

Save This Link and cross your fingers ...
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Toddy does not need to be fast, how fast were either Andy Hunt or Clive Mendonca when they were banging in 28 goals in the CCC? Toddy is a link-up man with brains and may well prove to be our best buy if he stays fit and we play to his strengths.

We don't play to our players strengths..........we expect them to change their game and become an allrounder who can play in at least 3 different positions.

Sort it out Curbs.....I mean Pards!
    Oh, you are. Sorry. ;-)
  • I couldn't get to the game but would be interested to know how Andrew Crofts played for Gillingham.

I wonder if he might be worth a punt to solve our midfield problems.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I couldn't get to the game but would be interested to know how Andrew Crofts played for Gillingham.

I wonder if he might be worth a punt to solve our midfield problems.
    he was the bloke with the bandage on his head i think. ran hard, crunched in with a few taackles but Samedo was better and mroe composed.

As Darren Ambrose said - "a little Makelele"

(not sure if that means in playerwise or manhoodwise)
  • Was it my imagination or did Simon King get man of the match after being sent off and scoring an own goal?
  • The Kent online report, giving the Jill's perspective, said he was named MoM by the match sponsor.

If he was tormented all afternoon, scored an own goal, gave away a penalty and got sent off - but was their MoM, it begs the question what the rest of the Jills were like.........
  • Sponsored links:

• King getting MoM was announced at the game, I think the match sponsor was making comment on the decision to send him off.