Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Raymond Briggs

The writer and illustrator has passed away aged 88. What a magical world he created, as well as heart rending stuff like Ethel and Ernest. A friend of mine produced a few of the film versions of his stuff, and loved him dearly. 

RIP Raymond. 

Comments

• Very sad ... loved his stuff RIP
  • RIP Raymond.
  • Yep I worked for TV Cartoons in the 80’s and early 90’s met him numerous times. Lovely man. The Snowman is simply out of this world. RIP. 
  • Very sad news. What a lot of joy his books brought to so many of us as children. 

RIP
  • So sad - the Snowman was a class above.
    RIP
  • I urge anyone who hadn't seen the short film "When the wind blows" to watch it. Based on his book its about a nuclear holocaust & set in the 80's. Male character voiced by Sir John Mills. 

RIP.
  • A great creative artist and man.
    RIP
  • He taught my wife before he was famous. She’s gutted. 
  • Great artist.  RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP Fungus the Bogeyman was a classic, one of my faves as a kid
  • RIP. Loved Ethel & Ernest.
  • Fungus the Bogeyman, Father Christmas & The Snowman - all classics from my childhood, feel like part of my childhood died as well today, very sad - getting old is rubbish! 

RIP 
  • His Father Christmas was one of my childhood staples. Blooming rain, blooming fog....

RIP
  • I urge anyone who hadn't seen the short film "When the wind blows" to watch it. Based on his book its about a nuclear holocaust & set in the 80's. Male character voiced by Sir John Mills. 

RIP.
    Blimey Golfie, you're really leaning into your miserablist reputation there. It's powerful, but I'd probably go with something a bit more cheerful as a first introduction to his work. Although one of my friends did mention yesterday being introduced to it by her husband, who'd found it shelved in the kids' section of their local library, presumably because it was by the author of The Snowman. That's a tactical error akin to the time the BBC ( I think it was ) scheduled Watership Down on Easter Sunday afternoon, and got loads of complaints from parents who sat their kids down to watch a cute bunny film after lunch.
  • A great talent..leaves behind a great body of work..his words and his illustrations somehow rose above the sublime when matched together..I watched Ethel and Ernest again last night and I can never hold back a tear RIP