Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Issey Miyake

Issey Miyake is a world renowned Japanese designer, most on here may not know much of his work, but it's his backstory that's more remarkable.

He's had a limp almost all of his life, a direct result of growing up in Hiroshima, and surviving the WW2 ending bombing of his hometown at the age of 7. He went home from school upon hearing the bomb go off, and his mother told him, run for the countryside, and don't look back. She died of radiation poisoning when he was just 10 years old.

He was a pioneer and innovator in style and fashion, his work has transcended countless fashion trends, with simple, elegant clothing made to be worn in everyday life, including a paper suit that's impossible to crease, and his unique thread to garment outlook on materials, where he would conceptualise garments from a single thread and ensure the entire garment was made from that one material. 

RIP Issey, an icon of modern design

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Back when I could actually smell stuff I really liked his aftershave...RIP.  
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options

One of the very first aftershaves i ever had many moons ago. RIP.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Issey Miyake is a world renowned Japanese designer, most on here may not know much of his work, but it's his backstory that's more remarkable.

He's had a limp almost all of his life, a direct result of growing up in Hiroshima, and surviving the WW2 ending bombing of his hometown at the age of 7. He went home from school upon hearing the bomb go off, and his mother told him, run for the countryside, and don't look back. She died of radiation poisoning when he was just 10 years old.

He was a pioneer and innovator in style and fashion, his work has transcended countless fashion trends, with simple, elegant clothing made to be worn in everyday life, including a paper suit that's impossible to crease, and his unique thread to garment outlook on materials, where he would conceptualise garments from a single thread and ensure the entire garment was made from that one material. 

RIP Issey, an icon of modern design

Yes, a very influential designer and icon.

R I P
  • Options
    Very sad.
    RIP
  • Options
    Wax on, wax off.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Wax on, wax off.
    Haha, I thought that when I heard it announced on the radio news earlier lol
  • Options
    RIP