Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The End of the classified football results

The BBC has marked the end of an era by discontinuing its classified football results service on Radio 5 live.

'Time for Sports Report', has been heard over the Radio for years, and part of the joy of the Classified Results is hearing the names of those towns, cities and clubs read aloud. 

For those who argue in favour of modernisation and / or that it's easy to find the scores online, bear a thought for the visually impaired.

The excuse that it's going because there is a 5.30pm Premier League game is a misnomer. The idea of scrapping this really is cultural vandalism.

Comments

• Options
    Make you right. Taking ceefax away will be the last straw for many.
  • Options
    I'll wager it'll be back in a couple of weeks...
  • Options
    Visually impaired people are some of the biggest smart phone users, lazy trope about how they can't use a phone is a big silly 
  • Options
    The BBC has marked the end of an era by discontinuing its classified football results service on Radio 5 live.

'Time for Sports Report', has been heard over the Radio for years, and part of the joy of the Classified Results is hearing the names of those towns, cities and clubs read aloud. 

For those who argue in favour of modernisation and / or that it's easy to find the scores online, bear a thought for the visually impaired.

The excuse that it's going because there is a 5.30pm Premier League game is a misnomer. The idea of scrapping this really is cultural vandalism.

Can they not turn the volume up on their tv?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    One of my early memories is the deathly hush that came over the house when my Dad was checking the scores, and ticking off his pools coupon. 
    Always followed by "Well that was waste of time!" before he had a shave and headed of up to the Lord Raglan with my Mum for a Saturday night out.
    Inside back page of all Saturday newspapers had a list of fixtures printed for you to write down the results when the classified check was read out by Len Martin.
    Not forgetting the "Stop press" on the back page of the Evening News for the results if you missed hearing Sports Report on the way home from the game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Make you right. Taking ceefax away will be the last straw for many.
    Who’s gonna break it to him?
  • Options
    I loved hearing the classifieds, especially when we win! It takes me back to long car journeys with my dad. 

Was looking forward to listening to Sports Report on Saturday and couldn't understand why I didn't hear them. Very sad to see that it's been scrapped.
  • Options
    Eamon Andrews must be turning in his grave .. unless he was cremated of course
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    One of my early memories is the deathly hush that came over the house when my Dad was checking the scores, and ticking off his pools coupon. 
    Always followed by "Well that was waste of time!" before he had a shave and headed of up to the Lord Raglan with my Mum for a Saturday night out.
    Inside back page of all Saturday newspapers had a list of fixtures printed for you to write down the results when the classified check was read out by Len Martin.
    Not forgetting the "Stop press" on the back page of the Evening News for the results if you missed hearing Sports Report on the way home from the game
    It always amazed me how you could walk from the game and by the time you got to the top of Floyd Road the classified paper was there!
    You must have been a very slow walker - half times in the stop press, maybe. The results edition didn’t come up before 5.45 earliest in Welling. Used to be a race over Shooters Hill to get there until the Standard packed it in in 76, from recollection. The Evening News one lingered on a few more years.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    It always amazed me how you could walk from the game and by the time you got to the top of Floyd Road the classified paper was there!
    You must have been a very slow walker - half times in the stop press, maybe. The results edition didn’t gone up before 5.45 earliest in Welling. Used to be a race over Shooters Hill to get there until the Standard packed it in in 76, from recollection.
    Very, very slow walker - and/or my ageing memory is fading fast!
  • Options
    Most of the decisions the BBC make are wrong. This is another one.
  • Options
    Not just in cars. What about those working outdoors, on holiday, walking about town etc?

Watching TV or consulting a phone isn't always practical.

I'd imagine that far more Five Live listeners will be inconvenienced by this than those who feel it's better without.

Besides, do listeners really want a live commentary match? One could use the same argument that it can be watched (or listened to) on TV or in the pub if interested. Personally I prefer the round-ups from around the grounds, interviews and discussion, to a live commentary.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Visually impaired people are some of the biggest smart phone users, lazy trope about how they can't use a phone is a big silly 
    Depends how visually impaired, surely?
    There are blind people even at matches to give an example. How often do they pull out a phone after the match? They might say that you're 'a big silly.'
  • Options
    Most of the decisions the BBC make are wrong. This is another one.
    This. The rare occasions I drive to Charlton. Usually head goes down and rush back to the car to beat traffic on the whistle. Never worry about checking results as know I will hear them all at 5:05. Imagine this common practice for many a people in UK returning from games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will just have to buy a copy of The Pink to find out the results now 
  • Options
    Shame. Will miss it. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Depends how visually impaired, surely?
    There are blind people even at matches to give an example. How often do they pull out a phone after the match? They might say that you're 'a big silly.'
    I’ve sat in loads of accessiblity sessions with people who have complete sight loss, and use an iPhone or android device, probably better then a person with full 20/20 vision. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    You must have been a very slow walker - half times in the stop press, maybe. The results edition didn’t come up before 5.45 earliest in Welling. Used to be a race over Shooters Hill to get there until the Standard packed it in in 76, from recollection. The Evening News one lingered on a few more years.
    We lived in Cherry Orchard Estate so got ours at the top of Victoria Way about 6’ish
  • Options

Cultural vandalism is a good starting point. I'm not sure the blind people argument holds up though.  But when we are all in the car heading back from the game and someone hasn't got their phone or its broken not charging or immersed in WhatsApp messaging social media etc 
    It's great to grab all of our attention to the footie results.  Part of maintaining culture is indeed when we all share in events. Weekly monthly yearly etc. 

I'm all for things that arrest the decline of this cultural vandalism that abounds everywhere in this age. I'd stop short of inviting Stuart Hall back mind. 
  • Options

Very similar in our house on a Saturday afternoon. For years I thought my old man backed a horse called 'Oh Bugger'.  Then off to the White Hart in Eltham.

• Options
    Look on the bright side though - it gives the BBC more time to broadcast trivial shit squealed out by faux-excited presenters such as that twat Savage and his ilk. Oh.
  • Options
    Bloody ell. We beat Blackburn away.