Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Early doors analysis of League1 table.

edited August 2022 in General Charlton
Of course its only the first two games (for everyone that is,) but strange to say only one team has maximum points, you’d normally expect there to be half a dozen or so.
This is most unusual, I can only say at first glance this goes to show how tight League1 2022/23 is going to be this time around.
On their day, two thirds of the teams are quite capable of picking up points from every game…….my guess is that this season in League1 it’s going to be tougher than ever to pick up any silverware.

Comments

• Options
    I thought it was interesting that Derby sent their keeper up at the end on Saturday - a sign that they already believe every point will count.
    They are right too, the points amount to the same thing whether achieved in August or April, which is a reason why I see Sheffield Wednesday away on Saturday as a must win.
  • Options
    I thought it was interesting that Derby sent their keeper up at the end on Saturday - a sign that they already believe every point will count.
    They seemed to be taking a lot of risks. Rosenior is still their caretaker manager so perhaps he needs the wins. 
  • Options
    The fact everyone can beat anyone on any given day actually helps our promotion/playoff chances imo. Better than 2/3 sides storming clear
  • Options
    I think Bolton have probably been most impressive so far. Ipswich away and Wycombe at home not the easiest of games and they’ve got 4 points from it and thrashed Wycombe 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I think Bolton have probably been most impressive so far. Ipswich away and Wycombe at home not the easiest of games and they’ve got 4 points from it and thrashed Wycombe 
    I've put them in my annual acca to win L1 this season
  • Options
    Other than Peterborough all the winners from the first week lost which is also very interesting...better to draw your first game 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    So are six others! Imagine losing out on the playoffs with 92 points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So are six others! Imagine losing out on the playoffs with 92 points.
    Yeah, just imagine ..... Pymouth Argyle set a new record last season, missing out on the playoffs with 80 points.
    Never happened before.

• Options
    We’re probably about 15 wins away from being safe from relegation.
  • Options
    Unless of course points are taken away.
  • Options
    We have nothing to worry about. This season will be a repeat of 1974/75. 
    Appoint a manager from lower down the leagues who has an attack minded style of play (Nelson/Garner), draw the opening game 2-2 at a northern outpost (Halifax/Accrington), win our first home game to nil against a club with an animal based nickname - Hereford (Bulls)/ Derby (Rams) and Bob’s your uncle.
    It also means we’ll win 0-1 on Saturday.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Of course its only the first two games (for everyone that is,) but strange to say only one team has maximum points, you’d normally expect there to be half a dozen or so.

This is most unusual, I can only say at first glance this goes to show how tight League1 2022/23 is going to be this time around.

On their day, two thirds of the teams are quite capable of picking up points from every game…….my guess is that this season in League1 it’s going to be tougher than ever to pick up any silverware.

At the start of the season I should imagine a lot of it is to do with how the fixtures fall.
    Some teams have started with (on paper) easier fixtures; some with more difficult matches.

For example, Peterborough's opening fixtures have been Cheltenham and Morecambe.
    Would they have won both matches had they played Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton?

• Options
    Been really impressed with the quality of our goals. Obviously CBT & Leaburns goals were only from about 6 yards out, but both involved two moments when Kirk & Payne showed outstanding quality by going for first time passes. Definitely the type of thing we were not seeing last season at all. 

Kind of thing which doesn’t get noticed form the outside.
  • Options
    Goal differences could also play a crucial part at the end if the points situation is tight, so if we go ahead in matches I hope we will not make a habit of settling for parking the bus and defending a one goal lead for the rest of the game.  
    Risky tactic anyway, since we have all too often seen the opposition convert our potential win into a last-minute draw!