Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are you looking forward to the new season?

I'm not overly optimistic and as of today I'm thinking 7th - 10th, but that will hopefully change with a couple more decent signings.
I just wanna be back at The Valley and seeing my mates again.
Basically, I can't wait.

Comments

• I'm not, think last season sucked the life out of me especially after coming out of Covid and no fans.

Not sure we have the squad to do well, we were at best very average last year and I'm not sure the signings made will be that much of an improvement. A few wins early on will certainly help. 
  • I know I tend to sit on the more positive side of things so I’m absolutely buzzing for it to be honest, and am counting down the days until Saturday. 

Really enjoyed what I saw in the friendlies, and excited to see how this brand of football develops as we get more comfortable with it and bring in the last few pieces of the jigsaw. 

• Sadly not yet. With the season yet to start we need a couple more in including a decent striker.
  • I can not wait, games are in the phone calender and my one weekend game pm has been picked. I just want to have a few beers and watch half decent (for our level) football. Zero expectations that hms piss the league will set sail, which I think might come in handy.
  • I'm absolutely excited about this season and seeing how it develops. For the 1st time in years I can see a plan and a structure is trying to be applied. No idea if it will work but hopeful it will. From the friendlies I can see it might take a few games to click but I honestly think we will give a few teams a spanking this season and we will see some decent football. 
    I know I'm an optimist but secretly confident of a top 6 finish. If we can solve the striker conundrum then I would be very confident 
  • I'm looking forward to it, I drive from Leicestershire to watch home matches, and can't wait for the first home game!
  • edited July 2022
    If we start out of the traps fast and gets some results on the board then I might get excited. However, seeing the obvious gaps in the squad I would be surprised if we do so it just feels like deja vu.
  • Being realistic I'm predicting 10th-12th unless we get some really good signings in but I am not that hopeful. Still looking forward to Saturday and the season with the attitude of it can't be worse than last year can it?  
  • When Garner signed I thought that we had turned a corner and had brought in a coach that could instill decent ideas rather than an ex-player who had only recently taken their coaching badges.

Unfortunately over the past month it seems that nothing had been learnt from last season & our strategy has been to pick up frees rather than build a team. 

I'm hoping it will be better than last season (low bar tbh) but I'm not seeing even a top 6 finish, let alone top 2.

But up answer the question  - I always look forward to a new season with 46 matches over 10 months there is always a match just around the corner.

Golfie I'm surprised by your comments re us only picked up free transfers, most clubs have done that so far and the ones we have signed apparently had other offers, it doesnt seem to me that we have been signing players that have come here as we are their last resort which is different from the last couple of seasons. If we bring in a couple of decent signings before the window closes do u think you might change your opinion? 
    I'm only asking as despite your normal negativity pissing me off 😂😂😂 I normally agree with most of what you say and I'm honestly feeling pretty good about what I have seen so far on the pitch I know they are only friendlies but atleast we were playing football
  • Sponsored links:

• All feels a bit underwhelming even if there's a plan it doesn't feel like we've recruited well enough although I accept things can change yet.

That said I was feeling underwhelmed going into 18/19 and things improved drastically. 11/12 all felt positive and had a feeling we'd do well even if not as well as we did then.

As things stand I think we're in for a similar season to last year even if we appear to be in better shape heading into the first game than last season.
  • Moderately. I'm pleased that we will see better football, having got fed up with other clubs passing so much better than us.

On the other hand, I'm not over optimistic about our chances of mounting a real promotion campaign though and after the excitement of being able to return to live sport last season, some of that enthusiasm has subsided, especially when a lot of our away games this season have a "same old, same old" feel to them.
  • Going to be a bumpy old season but it will be fascinating on what happens on and off the pitch 
  • Of course I am looking forward to it, even thought I don’t go games or even stream them. 

Whether I am optimistic about the season is a different matter. 
  • Of course, what else is there to do?
  • I wish an U23 fixture list was available somewhere.
  • I always look forward to the new season with hopeful anticipation, hence my total disappointment last season. I with many were calling to freshen things up, apart from the obvious holes in recruitment that is what has happened, so I can’t ask for anything more if those holes are plugged. So yes let’s hope for the best and get behind our new team and manager.
  • Cautiously optimistic here. Not expecting a heroic charge to promotion, trampling all underfoot, but I am encouraged to see we have a coach with an actual plan and who had been backed to execute it.

It may not work perfectly but it feels more encouraging than the ramshackle make do approach of last year.
  • Of course. I’m realistic I think we are miles away from being able to compete for the top 2, but think we are definitely an improvement on the team last season. Are we good enough to gain an extra 20 points than last season. Maybe, depending on final pieces of the puzzles. 

Just hope that our challenge lasts until May next season, as hated knowing the season was a dead rubber from Christmas onwards.
  • Not particularly. I enjoy my summers too much. Football reminds me that summer will coming to an end soon. Every year I think the season starts too early. This year even more so. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes but not expecting to be successful. The squad has an early days Roland feel to it. Get a decent side in but lacks depth. At the very least we’re trying to build something and I appreciate the window isn’t closed. Either way a new manager with a clear playing style is at least, interesting 
  • Yes but not expecting to be successful. The squad has an early days Roland feel to it. Get a decent side in but lacks depth. At the very least we’re trying to build something and I appreciate the window isn’t closed. Either way a new manager with a clear playing style is at least, interesting 
    Yes and a lot is going to ride on how special Ben Garner is. I really hope he is.
  • Hell, yeah

As pumped and hopeful as ever 
  • i am - i'm quite optimistic and am hopeful that garner knows what he is doing and knows enough about the players we have brought in - he also seems to have been around the game coaching at all levels long enough to have a real depth of players he knows and contacts - forget black boxes, this is what life and football is all about - of course there is a chance it won't work, we pass ourselves to death and opposition nullifies us - if we don't sort the forward line out, i'm pretty sure that will happen but i'm also confident we will sort the forward line out  
  • wollacott

sessignon
    o'connell
    lavelle or innis
    egbo once fit

dobson
    magrandles 

cbt
    fraser
    payne / new winger

new striker 

• edited July 2022
    Looking forward to it but currently expecting us to finish around 8th to 12th. I see us doing better than last season as there's a clear plan and style of play with players brought in that fit into it.

I'm hopeful these last few signings will be enough to push us higher. We should always be challenging for promotion when in the third tier.

For a genuine promotion challenge I feel we need a player or two (goalscorers for this squad) that takes us up another level. Powell had Yann, a free agent, and Bowyer had Cullen and Bielik, two loanees. They all signed after the season had started so I don't see it being too late for those type of players to come in.

I can see a few players will surprising us too, whether that's out of the signings, current players or an academy player or two.
  • Always look forward to a new season. It’s the results that I don’t look forward to.