Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Side hustles

Keep hearing it a lot these days what with the cost of living the way it is.
Anyone got one? How did you get involved? How much of your time does it take up? Good little earner?

Try and keep it clean!

Comments

• I’m starting one in the next few months, I’ll update here when I do, what I do and how it’s going.
  • I have a friend who feeds cats whilst their owners are away on holiday. 15mins in the morning and 15mins in the evening … £20 a hit. Not a bad hourly rate if you think about it 
  • I do about 12 hours a week volunteering helping the homeless at a church. I have to confess (feel guilty saying it) that recently I have thought about how much money I could earn if that was a paying job. Even at £10 an hour it would supplement my ever decreasing income. 

A friend of mine buys broken things from eBay (mainly phones, Xbox controllers and laptops) and sells them on. Reckons he makes about £120 a week for around 8 hours work. 
  • LoOkOuT said:
    You can find me on OnlyFans.
    Buying old fans. Doing them up and selling them on??
  • So far this year I have fed the neighbours semi feral cat for four weeks while they went on holiday.
    For free, but I got a lovely Fortnum and Masons mug as a thank you.
    I suppose that is a side hustle.

• LoOkOuT said:
    You can find me on OnlyFans.
    And me! 😉

• Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    I have a friend who feeds cats whilst their owners are away on holiday. 15mins in the morning and 15mins in the evening … £20 a hit. Not a bad hourly rate if you think about it 
    The wife is putting the budgie in a budgerry for 16 nights.
    One firm wanted £10 a day
  • Keep hearing it a lot these days what with the cost of living the way it is.
    Anyone got one? How did you get involved? How much of your time does it take up? Good little earner?

Try and keep it clean!
    What job do you do?, Is it something you could set yourself up as a "consultant"? and use your skill and knowledge to guide other business. Charge say £40 an hour see how you get on.
  • edited July 2022
    I do a little burglary on the side.
    Free hit the next few nights with all the open windows.
  • edited July 2022
    clb74 said:
    _MrDick said:
    I have a friend who feeds cats whilst their owners are away on holiday. 15mins in the morning and 15mins in the evening … £20 a hit. Not a bad hourly rate if you think about it 
    When you first looked for the “Budgerry” I bet you had to be careful not to mistake that letter d as a g!
  • I’m a student studying Music Production, and I work weekends as a Sound Tech for a venue, is that a side-hustle or just work experience?
  • clb74 said:
    _MrDick said:
    When you first looked for the “Budgerry” I bet you had to be careful not to mistake that letter d as a g!
    Buggery for £10 a day. 

Are you a the front or back for that price?
  • I do a little burglary on the side.
    Free hit the next few nights with all the open windows.
    Imagine a burglary at the budgerry!!
  • Missus has started but not completed or followed through with a couple. There is potential and it would be nice to have that additional income to fund some projects we want to do on the house or to pay for a holiday each year. But the hourly rate  particularly with the amount of time you have to invest at the start always makes it seem not that worth it. My sister makes a bit of cash through her Instagram account and paid promotions etc.

The best one I've ever seen was my uncle and aunt, lived on a farm so had plenty of space and a big house. They used to dog sit for everyone in their village (some even for months on end). The dogs had free rein of a particular section of the farm they used my cousins to walk them and feed them. Idyllic holiday for the dogs with plenty of games and attention from my cousins and enough cash for them to take their family of 6 skiing every year. Make the most of what you've got available right 
  • Sponsored links:

• My neighbour has landed a part time job shovelling shit out of second hand cuckoo clocks.
  • Work in a bar, side hustle is working in other people's bars or event Bartending at festivals etc on the side. Sometimes jobs come up same day and they're desperate, so it pays £20+ an hour, not bad for what is usually slinging a few gin and tonics in glasses and handing out cans of beer
  • I’m fascinated by people who can do this sort of thing/start a business.  It’s quite a vogue thing to be an entrepreneur, but I’ve not gone any sort of characteristic/trait like that in me.

My missus started one in Covid where she started making candles and tried to sell them through Etsy but could only flog a couple, and my sister has started making earrings and has sold about 25 through Etsy.  

It’s a pretty admirable skill I think 
  • Some peoples side hustles dont involve earning money. Unfortunately someone beat me to this job.

• Try stewarding. I only wish I'd known about it when I was working and my kids were small. 

Having taken (very) early retirement, I wanted a little something to do and fell into this when a friend suggested I should give it a go. Subsequently it's turned into a nice little number for me. And it's generally good fun.

Safety stewarding (the sort I do, can I check your ticket, toilets are over there etc) is pretty simple to pick up and just really requires a bit of common sense and ability to stand for long periods. (Although I despair at how many people don't have common sense or moan at having to stand).

Done various training, took a NVQ3 and now a supervisor. The money's not bad.

Great thing is you can choose when you want to work and it's easy to fit some in with a "proper" job. You can work at the weekends or the evening. 

Vacancies all over the place at the moment. Venues are short everywhere. So if anyone wants a bit of extra money, start applying. But just not for football - in my opinion that just isn't worth the aggravation for what you get paid!  

For those who enjoy a more "robust" time, get yourself a SIA badge and try security (response) stewarding. Pay for that is much better but it's not always, shall we say, for the faint hearted.

• My mates sister puts together Ikea flatpacks around her uni studies, makes 3-4 hundred a month.
  • The main thing I have found since starting my own business is that its a lot easier to pick up one or two bits on the side - which tend to be more projects that I have an interest in rather than the ones that make the most money.

My day job? Sports marketing, sponsorship and brand development.

My side hustle - bit of personal consulting for sports organisations (football clubs in particular) who need some short term help in day to day operations, commercial / marketing / sponsorship discussions, and general advice (ahem!).