Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    Maybe it’s my age, but the sight of Miles stepping onto the pitch makes me quite emotional. 
    I enjoyed telling my kids about Carl’s appearance for Wimbledon against us on Boxing Day 1998 and the contrasting reactions amongst the away fans. For those that weren’t there or can’t remember, the ‘Leeeeeeaaaabuuuurn’ drowned out the boos. 
    And a certain Mr Euell scored from memory, blimey, was that really 24 years ago!
    Euell did score, you’re right. That was the biggest away crowd I’ve ever been in and the atmosphere was unbelievable when we took the lead. 
    Was there, I beleive 12,000 Addicks
    No way was it 12k, I love the way this figure grows every time it’s mentioned !!! 
    Why, did Thomas give out 3000 comps who didn't turn up, but were still counted?  ;)
  • Options
    Watched Leaburn at youth level and didn't think he looked anything special - seems to have adapted his game really well at senior level.
  • Options
    I was sat just in front of the directors box last night and Carl was sat near the front. For some reason I just screamed "love it Carlo" at him when Miles scored and he had a big smile on his face. Him and Tracey must be so proud of watching their son and the crowd's reaction to him.
    does he join in the Leeeeaaaaburn chant? 
  • Options
    I think the Leaburn family must have installed a pitch in the garden and trained everyday. It's like that level of improvement we are seeing.
  • Options
    Premier League clubs will be all over him in time, big, strong, quick, technically good
  • Options
    Watching the European Champs ping-pong men's doubles at the moment. There's a French team Lebrun and Lebrun. I haven't been able to contain myself whenever they score a good point.
  • Options
    Looked like he was bullying the defenders (not just the full backs) Tuesday night, not the other way round - i'd also say its easier to play centre forward than wide right forward, particularly if that's where you are used to playing and i'd say his attributes would suit that position more as well. I know he played there against QPR but i can see him getting a few more cracks at it this year coz Stockley is gonna need a rest at some points in the season. (assuming Chucks isn't available and we don't bring another striker in - which we should, no question)  
  • Options
    Good points and observations Henry.

Remember when many fans thought the club had mucked up by taking Leaburn to Spain, but not Kanu. I think Kanu will take a season or two before he's a contender. He very much does still look like a teenager, physically. 
  • Options
    i reckon Kanu will get a few first team run outs later this year if there are some games with little riding on them - he's stockier and stronger than Burstow  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kanu, Burstow, Stocky......never thought I'd see those 3 words together!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Good points and observations Henry.

Remember when many fans thought the club had mucked up by taking Leaburn to Spain, but not Kanu. I think Kanu will take a season or two before he's a contender. He very much does still look like a teenager, physically. 
    Kanu is younger but hope he plays in some Pizza cup games.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Kanu, Burstow, Stocky......never thought I'd see those 3 words together!
    hopefully we won't - burstow was a nice kid but wouldn't want him back this season thats for sure 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Premier League clubs will be all over him in time, big, strong, quick, technically good
    I think this is sadly true - I don't think well get more than the season out of him.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts boys
  • Options
    Leaburn to leave mid season and fans start to boo Tracey. That would be vintage Charlton.
  • Options
    I really hope one day a youngster will STAY, develop with us whilst also firing us up the leagues back into the PL. 
  • Options
    I think, and hope that because Miles has got so many connections with the club, it'll be harder for sides to tempt him away. 
  • Options
    I really hope one day a youngster will STAY, develop with us whilst also firing us up the leagues back into the PL. 
    Unless we're already in championship pushing for promotion it's just not going to happen like that in today's landscape - and even then it's unlikely we'd be able to hold onto a player, especially a striker, of a high-calibre
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    mendonca said:
    Leaburn to leave mid season and fans start to boo Tracey. That would be vintage Charlton.
    Tracey then leaves after the abuse - all part of sandgaard's masterplan to cull all the "propa charlton"
  • Options
    I so hope he stays the season and we are promoted.  Would have half a chance of then keeping him a year in the Championship and really maximising his price as well as getting to see him for longer.

Burstow was a prospect and left so quick, Leaburn on 3 yrs contract is great. 

The conundrum is how do we give the likes of Ladapo, Kanu, Gavin and Reilly a chance as they could end up being the future but only have 12-18minths left in their contracts.  Need to get them out on loans I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    Maybe it’s my age, but the sight of Miles stepping onto the pitch makes me quite emotional. 
    I enjoyed telling my kids about Carl’s appearance for Wimbledon against us on Boxing Day 1998 and the contrasting reactions amongst the away fans. For those that weren’t there or can’t remember, the ‘Leeeeeeaaaabuuuurn’ drowned out the boos. 
    And a certain Mr Euell scored from memory, blimey, was that really 24 years ago!
    Euell did score, you’re right. That was the biggest away crowd I’ve ever been in and the atmosphere was unbelievable when we took the lead. 
    No way was it 12k, I love the way this figure grows every time it’s mentioned !!! 
    I believe we had (and filled) the entire Arthur Waite stand and the ‘sainsburys end’, so whatever they add up to
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    I believe we had (and filled) the entire Arthur Waite stand and the ‘sainsburys end’, so whatever they add up to
    According to wiki, 9.5k + 2.2k…
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I think this is sadly true - I don't think well get more than the season out of him.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts boys
    Getting promotion might increase our chances of keeping  him a bit longer. 
    Eventually he will go though. 
    Twas ever thus. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    Happy to stand corrected. In my memory the biggest sway support I have been in was the 10.5k at old Trafford. Didn’t think we had anywhere near that at selhurst that day. But it was a long time ago … 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    Happy to stand corrected. In my memory the biggest sway support I have been in was the 10.5k at old Trafford. Didn’t think we had anywhere near that at selhurst that day. But it was a long time ago … 
    It was noisy though .  Not sure Carlo had the pass from last night in him but he was hugely underrated.  The 97/98 season , his last,  he had been discarded by Curbs but in the end he came back and played well before he was sold.  In fairness , Bright was even more effective .  Halcyon days .  Here’s hoping ML will have similar days . 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    It was noisy though .  Not sure Carlo had the pass from last night in him but he was hugely underrated.  The 97/98 season , his last,  he had been discarded by Curbs but in the end he came back and played well before he was sold.  In fairness , Bright was even more effective .  Halcyon days .  Here’s hoping ML will have similar days . 
    Due to being out of contract for the whole of the 96/97 season and so that pre season the club/Curbishley moved on as we are more strikers in than we had the previous season. Curbishley brought him back during the season despite him still being out of contract and remained so until he was sold
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I think the Leaburn family must have installed a pitch in the garden and trained everyday. It's like that level of improvement we are seeing.
    I think it is more that he has grown into his body.

He only joined us at 16 and has had a series of injuries, probably largely connected to a huge growth spurt.  I also think he may have had Covid.

Once he got fit in the second half of last season he was playing and scoring regularly for the U18s.

At the end of the season he stepped up to the U23s and scored a hat-trick on his debut.  He hasn't suddenly become good, he's now just able to show it.

He's also noticeably filled out so he's not just tall but solid too.   We've seen how Burstow struggled physically and I think Kanu will have to overcome the same issue.

Playing out wide in the three suits him for now but the next step is for him to play down the middle and succeed against big, hairy norhtern centre halves who eat strikers for breakfast.  I think he'll do fine but he'll have good games and not so good games.
    Would like to see him interchanging with Stockley more when they’re both playing. Would probably have paired up well with Taylor. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    I thought it was Carl refusing to a sign a contract as he wanted to leave, but in those pre-Bosman days he couldn't just go, hence we could still keep him on a week-to-week basis