Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Would make it difficult for Garner to continue with 4-4-2 now, unless he plans risking Aneke to start up top 
    Surely we've got to stay two up regardless given Stockley doesn't work on his own. Even a runner like Morgan would be better than only Stockley up there imo. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    This is a bit of a hammer blow, things starting to look up, Chuks back from injury, just not enough depth in the squad again, seems to be our Achilles hill, (or ankle ligaments in this case).
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see who replaces him as Aneke isn’t a serious option. Got to be Kanu’s chance to get in the squad?

Out for more than a month - there’s further quotes from Garner in the SLP article.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-get-bad-news-on-miles-leaburns-injury-top-scorer-facing-a-prolonged-spell-on-the-sidelines/
  • Options
    Almost inevitable sadly. Aneke would not be able to play two matches a week even if he had completed a pre-season. We are now in October and at some point, we will lose Aneke or even Stockley through injury or perhaps suspension. Sandgaard doesn't learn from his mistakes, the need for an experienced striker was paramount after Washington left. We are now asking Stockley and Aneke to carry the forward responsibilities till January, not possible in my opinion, form will dip, we will struggle, crowds will get smaller, Sandgaard will lose more money. Perhaps he has a rallying call along the likes of, 'if anyone thinks Chuks can't play 90 mins twice a week, leave the building now'. What a cock!
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    cabbles said:
    Would make it difficult for Garner to continue with 4-4-2 now, unless he plans risking Aneke to start up top 
    Aneke is not ready for a 90 minutes yet. Slowly bringing him back in minutes wise. 
    I suspect part of the problem with him getting injured is his lack of game time and resilience from match fitness caused by wrapping him in cotton wool. Play him from the start and see how long he lasts. Him and Stockley up front will mean Pompey won’t be so free to push up. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    shirty5 said:
    cabbles said:
    Aneke is not ready for a 90 minutes yet. Slowly bringing him back in minutes wise. 
    I suspect part of the problem with him getting injured is his lack of game time and resilience from match fitness caused by wrapping him in cotton wool. Play him from the start and see how long he lasts. Him and Stockley up front will mean Pompey won’t be so free to push up. 

• Options
    Our (is it) luck with injuries has not changed one bit over the past few years. Add poor planning to that and you're onto a perpetual loser.
  • Options
    Only other option is to concede we need a free agent, but they'll be unfit and shit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gutting, can only see us playing 2 upfront with Blackett Taylor alongside stockley maybe. Don't think Kanu is ready yet unfortunately
  • Options
    Got to stay with 2 up front somehow but Aneke should not be played for more than 20 minutes under any circumstances, ever.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    cabbles said:
    JJ told me Aneke is most effective coming off the bench, he'll give you more goals that way than him starting.  I don't think that's changed and he's just coming back from two injuries so it makes sense to go 4-3-3 to start and 4-4-2 with Aneke towards the end.
    We’ll be 3-0 down by the time he comes on on tomorrow! 

It’s not a perfect situation, so there isn’t going to be a perfect answer. If Aneke can manage even 45 minutes of football then he should start tomorrow. 
  • Options
    As much as the 4-3-3 hasn’t worked, I’d be inclined to stick with it rather than a combo of Stockley plus JRS, CBT or Morgan up top or one in behind.  It would be another system we’d have to adapt to.  We started 4-3-3 tried 3 at the back against Oxford, then went 4-4-2 and now that would be either 4-4-2 with a recognised forward and a winger, or 4-4-1-1 with Morgan who’s been given so many rolls of the dice, playing in an unfamiliar position 

at least with 4-3-3 they’ve worked on it 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Will be interesting to see who replaces him as Aneke isn’t a serious option. Got to be Kanu’s chance to get in the squad?

Out for more than a month - there’s further quotes from Garner in the SLP article.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-get-bad-news-on-miles-leaburns-injury-top-scorer-facing-a-prolonged-spell-on-the-sidelines/
    I suppose this injury is the "anyone, anytime"  impact type. So no real issue with the fitness/training regime. However when the game ended I did see that he hobbled onto the pitch with the rest of the players, and at the time I wondered, is that a good idea?
  • Options
    So when Stockley gets a knock or worse, as happens in a long season - we'll be relying on CBT and/or Kanu to lead the line.

Mid October and we already need more "bodies" again, FFS
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    So when Stockley gets a knock or worse, as happens in a long season - we'll be relying on CBT and/or Kanu to lead the line.

There's not a team in this division that wouldn't struggle if you took out their 3 main strikers, and only Aneke we were pre-warned about
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Well Kanu is surely the next in line seeing that there isn't really a line. Just him really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sandgaard’s back pocket takes a hit 
  • Options
    Back to watching Stockley dominate that lone striker role...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    cabbles said:

I know I’ll sound like an old record but this is why resigning Chuks was a mistake. Hardly ever fit and when he is he can’t play for more than 15 to 20 minutes. So now we are in a position whereby 4-4-2 is working for us so we either have to play someone up top who isn’t suited to it or change formation and hope for the best. We all knew we needed another striker option but hey ho Thomas knows best. With three more home games this month we could have really pushed on but instead Leaburn being out a month or so could derail our season. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    RedPanda said:

There's not a team in this division that wouldn't struggle if you took out their 3 main strikers, and only Aneke we were pre-warned about
    Stockley has already played far too many games for us whilst injured. Leaburn shouldn't have been our 2nd choice and Aneke shouldn't be at the club. 

Meanwhile TS speaks of several decades of decay before he arrived. We are rotten. 
  • Options
    We still have 1 1/2 of our 3 main strikers available btw - it isn't doom and gloom yet. Anyway, unleash Kanu
  • Options
    What I think is also frustrating is Monday is a big game in terms of what sort of season this will be. A win and we will be looking upwards a defeat, well it will be the opposite.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    cabbles said:
    Surely we've got to stay two up regardless given Stockley doesn't work on his own. Even a runner like Morgan would be better than only Stockley up there imo. 
    I agree with 2 up front, but definitely not Morgan. I'd rather CBT played off him, at least he has pace even if he is inconsistent.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    It looked pretty stupid at the time. If you have two established strikers and two unproven youngsters and one of the established ones is injured all the time, it shouldn't be rocket science. Leaburn has been a positive but this was always going to be an issue.

Rather than fart about with JRS or CBT as makeshift strikers, it won't work, we probably have to revert to 4-3-3 and have the option to go with two up front with around 30 minutes to go. Until Aneke gets injured that is.