Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Walker RIP - Funeral details p3

Comments

• Options
    RIP Phil
  • Options
    Ahh, that's sad news to finish the week on. Was a cracking player in that team. 

RIP Phil. 
  • Options
    Yes another great from my youth. Really liked Phil Walker. RIP.
  • Options
    Brilliant player, 80/81 was superb. RIP. 
  • Options
    Great player RIP
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    I was delighted when he joined us for the simple reason he could not turn us over anymore. I remember the game at the valley when we we were three down in no time and he bagged two I believe. It ended 4~2 to them. As been said a very fine player. RIP .
    Yes I remember that. Was delighted when he signed for us.

Such sad news. RIP.
  • Options
    Great memories of him in my early supporting days. This has quite upset me as like others he was a hero of mine. R.I.P. Phil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Always liked his playing style, injury did for him alas (he missed a big chunk of one season IIRC). 

Respect for him as a person for how he handled the inevitable 70s crap from the terraces (and maybe on the field).  Easy to forget what pioneers he (and Trevor Lee) were, first black first team players in SE London perhaps, and how that helped those who came after.  Recall a feisty game at Gillingham, and how he was clearly checking that Leroy Ambrose was "ok" and coping
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rikofold said:
    80/81 was my first full season watching Charlton, as we'd moved to Canberra Road at the end of 79. Many of those players I recall with fondness, it was a great season, but Phil Walker was one of a small handful who stood out. Black players were relatively few in number back then, so that's almost certainly part of the reason, but he was such a watchable footballer, definitely a cut above the third division cloggers and journeymen. 

67 seems so young. RIP. 
    I think Phil played in the same Millwall side as Trevor Lee another black lad.
    Edit - I see redlanered just said the same.
  • Options
    Phil in full flow
  • Options
    Sad news. Despite the Millwall connection I enjoyed watching him. RIP
  • Options
    Phil in full flow
    I missed that home game v W Ham, my sister got married.
    One of about 6 home games in 50 years.
    I think we won 1-0 Steve Gritt (can't be bothered to check).
    RIP Phil.
  • Options
    Phil in full flow
    I missed that home game v W Ham, my sister got married.
    One of about 6 home games in 50 years.
    I think we won 1-0 Steve Gritt (can't be bothered to check).
    RIP Phil.
    Correct. One of the all time great games in our history
  • Options
    Saw him play for Epsom & Ewell in an FA Cup tie in about 1976, against Southall. A first qualifying round second replay on a neutral ground at Dulwich Hamlet. Trevor Lee was also in the Epsom team. Alan Devonshire was in the Southall team. All three moved up to the League soon after. 

I was always impressed that he went to play for Belenenses FC in the Portuguese League, the team with the chequered flag pattern shirt. Very good player. Underrated.
  • Options
    How sad - lovely player to watch when on form

RIP thanks for the memories

@Ollywozere one for the Club to comment on hopefully 
    On twitter in the last 15 mins 
  • Options
    RIP Phil
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bloody tragic. 
  • Options
    Thanks for that update @Henry Irving
  • Options
    Him and Les Berry did our football club trophy presentation, think about 1982, just remember as a 10/11 year old how big they both looked!

RIP.
  • Options
    Rest in peace Phil. That's very sad news. A very gifted and entertaining player.

(I'll not ruin my comment here by finding a desperate virtue-signalling opportunity to colour the 1970's with a 2022 woke brush as a few others have done ~ is nothing sacred?!)

May his soul rest in peace. 
  • Options
    RIP Phil 

What a player!
  • Options
    I mentioned Phil's passing to my Millwall family/friends, seeing as he was such a player for them, too.

They both replied with a picture of Phil scoring in a Millwall win at The Valley where he'd run from the half-way line.  Thanks.  Rub it in, why don't you?
  • Options
    https://www.philwalkerfootball.com/

A reminder that the funeral is today and that it will be streamed on the link above