Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shinzo Abe - Assassinated.

The former Japanese PM is in critical condition after being shot in the back. He was delivering a speech in Nara.

Comments

• Options
    Awful. Here's hoping he pulls through. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    thought it was TS marquee signing, hope he pulls through tho..

RIP
  • Options
    It's being reported he's died - RIP 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    It's being reported he's died - RIP 
    Zahawi gave his condolences a few hours ago. RIP
  • Options
    RIP.
    A political assassination.
  • Options
    The reaction here has been sickening, not a nice day at all.
  • Options
    Be careful what you say or write regarding this news here. Stay safe.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Some of the comments I’ve seen on weixin today have been crazy dangerous from some foreigners. 

I fully understand why he’s so hated, but still…..
  • Options

• Options
    Jessie said:
    Some of the comments I’ve seen on weixin today have been crazy dangerous from some foreigners. 

What? Foreigners? That's surprising...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jessie said:
    :( Stay safe guys.

RIP. Assassinations are always deeply unsettling, no matter where you are in the world.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Jessie said:

What? Foreigners? That's surprising...
    Complaining about the general reaction 
  • Options
    Hold on - is there a suggestion this was at the behest of a foreign agent (no individual country inferred).
  • Options
    Doesn't sound likely. Suspect has a Japanese name and used a homemade gun. 

I'm guessing Stu is talking about reactions from some Chinese individuals. Abe was not popular in China for various reasons (some justifiable and some not).
  • Options
    RIP.

Why was he so unpopular in China?
  • Options
    RIP.

He was critical of China gearing up to invade Taiwan and of the US not having a stance. 
  • Options
    There is a morphic memory of the behaviour of Japanese forces in China around and during WW2.
    Any reaction in China or elsewhere that isn’t horrified that a bloke gets assassinated this way is wrong.
    It may be that approval can be explained, but the approval can’t be excused.
    RIP.
  • Options
    RIP. A terrible act and if a state wants to rejoice in an assisination, it tells you all you need to know about them.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    RIP.

According to my wife (who is from Hong Kong), previous Prime Ministers had not visited the controversial Yasukinu shrine that honoured Japanese soldiers killed in WWII. Abe broke this and used to visit the temple. There is a lot of animosity between China and Japan, particularly over the rape of Nanking.
  • Options
    RIP. A terrible act and if a state wants to rejoice in an assisination, it tells you all you need to know about them.
    Are you suggesting the Chinese state as represented by the authorities are rejoicing in an assassination? I would be interested in seeing evidence of that.
    As for something telling somebody ‘all you need to know’, really?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thank you for the information guys (and Mrs Chunes). 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP a great servant of his country.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Are you suggesting the Chinese state as represented by the authorities are rejoicing in an assassination? I would be interested in seeing evidence of that.

Here we go..
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Here we go..
    Here we go what?
    Tell me anything I have written on this thread that is wrong in any way?
    The ‘here we go’ is better applied to you for trying to start a pile on.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    RIP.

He was critical of China gearing up to invade Taiwan and of the US not having a stance. 
    No

Chunes said:
    RIP.

According to my wife (who is from Hong Kong), previous Prime Ministers had not visited the controversial Yasukinu shrine that honoured Japanese soldiers killed in WWII. Abe broke this and used to visit the temple. There is a lot of animosity between China and Japan, particularly over the rape of Nanking.
    Yes. 

seth plum said:

Check the bbc, they have evidence of state backed broadcasters doing exactly that. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    RIP.

No

Chunes said:
    RIP.

Yes. 

seth plum said:

Check the bbc, they have evidence of state backed broadcasters doing exactly that. 
    I will check the BBC.

Edit.

I have scrolled the three BBC pages, but have not found anything about Chinese state backed media on there.
    I have looked elsewhere and found several references to Chinese social media.