Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Broadband using own router

Does anybody on here use their own router for their Broadband and if so which provider are you using?

TIA.

Comments

• I do with Virgin, however with them you still need to use their hub but in modem mode.
  • I have done in the past when Sky routers were rubbish, their new ones really good so no longer bother.

why what’s the question/problem?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    I have done in the past when Sky routers were rubbish, their new ones really good so no longer bother.

I'm using NOWTV router which appears to block TCP ports except 80. I used 8081 to stream some video with my Draytek Vigor router but obviously I need the ISP u/n and p/w which they won't give out.

I tried Wireshark to grab them without success.

• Rob7Lee said:
    I have done in the past when Sky routers were rubbish, their new ones really good so no longer bother.

I'm using NOWTV router which appears to block TCP ports except 80. I used 8081 to stream some video with my Draytek Vigor router but obviously I need the ISP u/n and p/w which they won't give out.

You want to logon to NowTv router?

used to be;
    username: admin
    password: nowtv

all lower case, although I’ve seen some with nowtv for both username & password.

obviously via 192.168.0.1 
  • edited July 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

You want to logon to NowTv router?

used to be;
    username: admin
    password: nowtv

all lower case, although I’ve seen some with nowtv for both username & password.

obviously via 192.168.0.1 
    No, I have that, it's the ISP access password to get me into their system that I need. I can get into the router but I can't open port 8081.

**/edit. I am looking for anybody who has either managed to get hold of their ISP username and p/w from their supplier or found a way round it. 

• Rob7Lee said:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Yes-you-can-use-your-own-router-if-it-has-option-61-and-MPoA/m-p/493723#:~:text=All you need to use,get the Broadband MAC address.

Seems you should be able too
  • Think he wants his  username and password which you can normally update in settings in the admin portal on the router. Think you have given him the username and password to access the admin portal
  • Rob7Lee said:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Yes-you-can-use-your-own-router-if-it-has-option-61-and-MPoA/m-p/493723#:~:text=All you need to use,get the Broadband MAC address.

Seems you should be able too

Yeh, Option 61. I have given this a go and I think I will try and revisit it again as it wasn't successful before. Cheers.

Reason I am asking is that my BB contract runs out soon and I really want to use my own router.  Now is owned by Sky and they changed my phone number when I took the contract so I suspect they have their own network which is why they seal up their routers.

• I've just come across this which is most likely the problem as I doubt my Draytek router supports it.

There may also be compatibility issues with some networks. Sky, for instance, use a special kind of authentication system called MER encapsulation, so you need to make sure your router supports that - and not all do.

So back to square one and probably change my ISP now.

Thanks guys for your responses.

• Sponsored links:

• I think I read somewhere that some non-standard routers don't support some ISPs VOIP if you are using that facility.
  • I'm with TalkTalk and I'm using my own router. 
  • I have been told I can get better than my Virgin one, which I am sure is true, but it does what I want it to do so haven't bothered.
  • Glovepup said:
    I'm with TalkTalk and I'm using my own router. 

Thanks, I was with them a few years back using my own router then. I will see if I can get a good deal with them when I renew.