Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

German players for CAFC

Trying to think of German players who have played for the first team.

Other than Patrick Bauer, I’m struggling to think of others. Are there any?

Comments

• Options
     Never made a first team appearance, but spent many years with the club as a youngster, Alex Varney.
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    Dietmar Bruck was with us in the 70's. Apparently a full back that spent most of his career at Coventry. 
    That’s right. He played about fifty games for us - I saw most of the home games - after a long career in the First Division with Coventry. A left back, as I remember.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Not forgetting Herman, but he wasn't a German 😎

• Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    Dietmar Bruck was with us in the 70's. Apparently a full back that spent most of his career at Coventry. 
    That’s right. He played about fifty games for us - I saw most of the home games - after a long career in the First Division with Coventry. A left back, as I remember.
    Built like a brick shit house, thighs like tree trunks as I remember.  
  • Options
     Never made a first team appearance, but spent many years with the club as a youngster, Alex Varney.
    Alex isnt German is he? - He's Peter's son
  • Options
    So sexist 🙄 
  • Options
    Dietmar Bruck looked like his name if that makes sense, a right unit who ‘brooked’ no nonsense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IIRC, we were given the opportunity of signing Oliver Bierhoff after our Anglo Italian game with, I think, Ascoli. But we turned it down for whatever reason. The rest, as they say, is history .. AC Milan, Monaco 😭
  • Options
    Yes & yes, he played for Germany as under 17, though his mother’s family.
  • Options
    Says he’s English on Wikipedia. Unless Peter Varney married to a German?
  • Options
    Steve Braun?

Dennis Rommel?
  • Options
    Always wanted us to sign Bernd Holzenbein, albeit way above our league as a West German World Cup winner in 1974.
    Holzenbein very nearly translates to wooden leg in English, seems like we have had a good few players like that over the years. :)
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    It's interesting.  We always understood that Dietmar Bruck was German, but Wikipedia has him listed as born in Danzig (Germany) in 1944.

Now, isn't Danzig the modern-day Gdansk?  Which would make Bruck Polish?

Maybe the Eastern Europe history scholars can make a definitive pronouncement.

Other players?

Carlton Kohl.

Paul Bunsen.

And, of course, the two Benz ... Marcus and Darren.
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    Built like a brick shit house, thighs like tree trunks as I remember.  
    I was only about 8, but when I think of Bruck I visualise Scotty out of Star Trek.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Mr. Happy said:
    It's interesting.  We always understood that Dietmar Bruck was German, but Wikipedia has him listed as born in Danzig (Germany) in 1944.

Other players?

Carlton Kohl.

Paul Bunsen.

Danzig was under German control at the time, and his family were German. Googling him, Theo Foley wrote about him in his book (exert here)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ynaFDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT124&lpg=PT124&dq=Dietmar+Bruck+german+polish&source=bl&ots=vxzewlzlis&sig=ACfU3U0wT2hWzS4eZOki1TjO4uQW--E01g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA-r7skd_4AhXTbMAKHQ9CCFYQ6AF6BAgWEAM#v=onepage&q=Dietmar Bruck german polish&f=false
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Mr. Happy said:

Other players?

Carlton Kohl.

Paul Bunsen.

Danzig was under German control at the time, and his family were German. Googling him, Theo Foley wrote about him in his book (exert here)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ynaFDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT124&lpg=PT124&dq=Dietmar+Bruck+german+polish&source=bl&ots=vxzewlzlis&sig=ACfU3U0wT2hWzS4eZOki1TjO4uQW--E01g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA-r7skd_4AhXTbMAKHQ9CCFYQ6AF6BAgWEAM#v=onepage&q=Dietmar Bruck german polish&f=false
    Great link.  Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Thanks for the interesting (and humorous) answers everyone!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Dietmar Bruck looked like his name if that makes sense, a right unit who ‘brooked’ no nonsense.
    Bruck shuthouse
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Not forgetting Herman, but he wasn't a German 😎

Herman loves Pauline and Pauline loves Herman...one for the SFA's fans!
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    We had Adolf Uboat, think he came on as a sub.
    Well worth a LOL that one, c'mon you miserable bastewards!
  • Options
    Thank you SJ and others.
  • Options

Which Germans have played for Charlton? Reply from German Addicks - WE ask the questions!!

Danzig was created after WW1 as a German exclave, and the surrounding Polish territory was a permanent grievance for the Ethels. In 1939 the Poles defended gallantly, especially in the Polish Post Office in the city, but they were swiftly overwhelmed. In 1945 when the fortunes of war were running against Germany millions fled from the Baltic provinces to escape the advancing Red Army. There was dreadful loss of life, the worst incident being the sinking of the liner Wilhelm Gustloff with almost 10000 passengers aboard, torpedoed in freezing January waters by a Russian submarine on the orders of its drunken captain. The infant Dietmar Bruck and his mother managed to reach British held territory, but his father, a soldier, lost his life late in the war when travelling by train, whether by accident or direct military action is not known. Mother and son eventually reached England. 

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Thuram-Ulien contains all the letters of Hitler. If anyone played for the enemy, it was Yohann.

Also:

Arthur Horrfield
    Bradley Pritchard
    Peter Shirtliff
    Bradley Wright-Phillips
    Charlie Wright

All contain all the letters of Hitler
  • Options
    Steven Sessegnon, if we get him, has SS in his name.
  • Options
    Charlton's first ground was Siemans meadow, a piece of waste ground in front of the Siemans factory in Charlton.

Siemans was a German owned and run cable and telecommunications business founded in 1847. They still make mobile phones and other electrical equipment today.

Many of the first Charlton players went on to work at the factory.

So there was a very early German connection.

Siemans UK holdings were "nationalised" during WWI along with many other German owned businesses.