Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martens Avenue Bexleyheath - sinkhole spanning breadth of whole street opens up

Comments

• Options
    wonder how long it'll take to get the hole filled in ?
    Looks like it will be full by late on Thursday 

• Options
    Kate Bush was born in Bexleyheath, just saying.
    Welling, if you don’t mind.
  • Options
    Love the fact old evel knievel tried jumping that 🤣
  • Options
    I lived I lived in Martens Avenue from 1974 to 1994, I remember in the 80s a sink hole in breamar cres. Clearly a problem round there, my guess is dried aquifer, but I am no geologist 
  • Options
    Gibbo said:
    There's always been a sink hole in Bexley, it's called Albany Park
    Oi … I live in Albany Park. You cheeky …..
  • Options
    From my understanding Thames water leak seems the likely candidate about 15 Thames water staff there and looks like surveyors and people with measuring devices etc walked past a min ago whilst taking dog for his evening walk 
    Might be Guiness Book Of Records down there for biggest pot-hole.

Has one got a trumpet?
  • Options
    From my understanding Thames water leak seems the likely candidate about 15 Thames water staff there and looks like surveyors and people with measuring devices etc walked past a min ago whilst taking dog for his evening walk 
    Rubber necker 
  • Options
    now that's a sinkhole...

Sinkholes See them watch them and we explain them - BBC News
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're probably there to survey their nearby plant. Checking for damage etc. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Round our way we call that a pothole, not a sink hole. Soft southern bastards.
    Round our way we tend to call anywhere up north a shithole  ;)
  • Options
    Kate Bush was born in Bexleyheath, just saying.
    Well that’s one (shallow) hill that she won’t be running up for the foreseeable future!
  • Options
    Kate Bush was raised and reared in Lee.
    Her first gig was in the Rose of Lee.
    Either way Kate is another reason why South East London is special.
  • Options
    now that's a sinkhole...

Sinkholes See them watch them and we explain them - BBC News
    Are you sure we're not looking at Katie Price there?
  • Options
    An uncle if mi e was Borough Surveyor in Bexley.  He told me under water streams etc were an issue around Barnehurst .

He told me this when I was looking for a house. 

Martens Avenue is part of the area he mentioned. This is the second collapse in that area in a few years. Time will tell what the cause is.
    The River Cray goes a way underground round that area I think.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    She grew up in Wickham Street, believe her parents lived there until her dad died in the late 00's, the farm is still there although no idea if the family still own it. Used to have a big music studio out the back (been in it).
  • Options
    An uncle if mi e was Borough Surveyor in Bexley.  He told me under water streams etc were an issue around Barnehurst .

He told me this when I was looking for a house. 

Martens Avenue is part of the area he mentioned. This is the second collapse in that area in a few years. Time will tell what the cause is.
    Has your “uncle if mi e” ever made a spoge without an egg?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:
    She grew up in Wickham Street, believe her parents lived there until her dad died in the late 00's, the farm is still there although no idea if the family still own it. Used to have a big music studio out the back (been in it).

You mean East Wickham Farm Wickham Lane in Bexley, her father had a surgery there too I believe…..though not sure about that?
    Strangely, she later moved to a flat in a large house owned by her parents at 44, Wickham Road Brockley, shortly after signing her first record contract.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:

You mean East Wickham Farm Wickham Lane in Bexley, her father had a surgery there too I believe…..though not sure about that?
    Strangely, she later moved to a flat in a large house owned by her parents at 44, Wickham Road Brockley, shortly after signing her first record contract.

No it was definitely in Wickham Street, off Upper Wickham Lane which I believe leads into Wickham Lane? Either way the entrance was definitely on Wickham Street, maybe there was another entrance on Wickham Lane, and yes believe it was called East Wickham Farm, had a wooden sign outside.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

here you go;

And then of course she had that big old place on Court Road in Eltham. No idea where she got the idea for the name though  :D
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:

No it was definitely in Wickham Street, off Upper Wickham Lane which I believe leads into Wickham Lane? Either way the entrance was definitely on Wickham Street, maybe there was another entrance on Wickham Lane, and yes believe it was called East Wickham Farm, had a wooden sign outside.
    https://www.katebushencyclopedia.com/east-wickham-farm
  • Options
    I lived I lived in Martens Avenue from 1974 to 1994, I remember in the 80s a sink hole in breamar cres. Clearly a problem round there, my guess is dried aquifer, but I am no geologist 
    My late Nan lived in Braeside Crescent in the 1980’s - the sink hole was in her next door neighbour’s garden - her neighbour had a little girl, about 7 years old - little girl was playing in the garden, went indoors for a drink, went to go back outside and told her Mum the garden had disappeared - Mum didn’t believe her until she got to back door and saw it - it was huge, and so deep that the Fire Service had to use a huge ladder to get down to the bottom of it - they never worked out what it was, with some thinking it was part of a Roman sewer

Deneholes are common in the area, but it wasn’t a denehole 

My Nan wasn’t allowed in her own garden for months afterwards - I think it got capped off

Very lucky escape for that little girl 

It happened again on another property in Braeside Cres in 2008 https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/2143162.residents-face-losing-homes-as-hole-grows/ 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:

yes, her dad was a doctor or dentist, can't remember which
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:

Farmer
  • Options
    clive said:
    Dave2l said:
    Is there a picture of the sinkhole? 
    The Bexleyheath sinkhole with police looking on and cordons in place
    He didn’t asked to see a picture, he just asked if there is one.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

here you go;

And then of course she had that big old place on Court Road in Eltham. No idea where she got the idea for the name though  :D
    Wasn’t it Danny Murphy who had the name put on the gates, when he owned it?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    seth plum said:

Doctor, if I remember rightly. My mum visited to check he’d paid his NI.