Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What are our expectations for next season?

I think there may have been a thread on this a while back, but now that we have a new manager and pre-season is about to start, what are you expecting for the 2022/23 season?

I will lay me cards on the table: I am a season ticket holder and have already renewed for the coming season, even before Ben Garner was announced. As far as TS is concerned, I am undecided. I think he has the best intentions for the club (and is vastly better than Duchatelet), but I am not convinced he has the best advisors when it comes to running a football club. There is a massive difference between running a normal business and running a football club. The normal rules of business do not seem to apply to football, as I think Thomas has found out.

I admit I had never heard of Ben Garner, but having read and heard more about him now, I like the sound of him. I will be disappointed if he can't bring his coaches with him though. I think we need a complete change of approach with our coaching, and if Ben Garner is to be judged fairly, he needs to be given the proper tools.

It is just over a month until the first competitive game of the season and it doesn't feel as though we are likely to hit the ground running again. I really hope I am wrong, but I can see our pre-season being a bit chaotic (yet again) and I don't believe we will have completed most of our signings before the season starts. With a new manager, new playing style and a core of new players needed, I am expecting a slow start.

Overall for the season I will be pleasantly surprised if we are challenging for the play-offs throughout the season. There are too many other decent teams in the league, and that coupled with all our changes may be a bridge too far. I am expecting better than last season (it better be), but would predict a finish of 7th to 10th. I think we would need to sign 3 or 4 very decent players to improve on that.

However, if we can start to build a decent team that play the Ben Garner way, then the following year we should be challenging for automatic promotion. As long as the football is more entertaining this coming season I think I would be content with a comfortable top half finish.

Comments

• Options
    Great post. 

Pretty much exactly how I see it all at present.

• Options
    Must haves: 

Existing players on the whole look better than last year
    Games are more entertaining
    New signings look to have fit into the system well
    Players look like a team
    Less off-field drama at board level

Would be nice: 

Challenging at the right end of the table
    A couple of players that look like they would be promotion contenders
    Improvement of some existing players to promotion level
    Defensive improvements 
    Team looks greater than the sum of their parts
    Injury issue improving 
    More goals from midfield
  • Options
    Top six.
    Anything else is a failure no matter how we spin it.
    I've reduced my expectations since Jackson was binned and Washington let go and the current state of the squad and pre season to date.

Far from ideal but am being realistic and pragmatic and am not expecting anything from the season. If Garner beds himself in and starts building something that moves in the right direction and looks like we will seriously challenge the following year then I think that is the best I can realistically hope for.

Getting us promoted as the squad stands now would be miraculous imo.

Renewed when they first went on sale so in it for the long haul again
  • Options
    Three points every home game, one point every away game, or the equivalent.

If our first fixtures are

Wycombe H
    Exeter A
    Ipswich A
    Accrington H

….and we lose at home to Wycombe, then we must win at Exeter and Ipswich, and then if we don’t beat Accrington at home we fall below target.

That is how I look at the results. I don’t want to settle down, to bed in, to find our best eleven, to be a work in progress, to catch up, to hope for a run, to calculate points, measure distances behind.

Absolute imperative is home wins….if there was a way to dock wages or bonuses for a home defeat I would do it.

If we are attractive, exciting, nice and admirable that’s sweet and lovely pink and fluffy, but nothing compares to loads and loads of points.

Next season I expect us to be here on business.

• Options
    Win games and I don't care if it is high press attacking or any other way, just win games and get us back to the Championship 
  • Options
    Promotion
  • Options
    My expectations are that we sign enough decent, long-term players so that we don't have to do this every season. We're unfortunate that Kirk didn't really work out, but we signed Stockley, Chuks, Dobson, CBT and Lavelle on long-term deals and I expect they'll be big parts of our squad. We then need to get in players on 3/4 year deals to be the spine of the team going forward and then we can add to that with loans where required. If we don't find the magic formula and go up this season then we'll need to replace those loans and the weaker players with better ones on long-term deals, but hopefully fewer than we had to before. The churn has to stop, and that means getting most of the players in key areas right this summer. If we can do that my expectations are that we build, and I'll be happy enough with that. A bit of identity, some players we actually like watching play and less of the feeling of constant change and players who couldn't really be arsed. I think that's plenty for me this season.
  • Options
    Play offs for me. 

One thing (out of the many faults) is that we didnt look like a team. So some cohesion with all player knowing there jobs would be nice!
  • Options
    OP has pretty much nailed it.

We should still be competing around the play offs though 100% 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    currently with my sense of deja vue then survival is what I hope we achieve.
  • Options
    I want results.  I always want results ... but ...

... I want a team of players that I can warm to.  A squad who I look forward to watching.  Players who I can identify with.  And, yes, even at my advanced age, I want a hero in the team.

Someone who gets me out of my seat and makes me proud to be a Charlton fan.

Farewell, Chris Gunter.  Goodbye, Ben Watson.  We've had enough of mediocrity.  Fetch me youth and exuberance.
  • Options
    What I would like this coming season is a settled team, with the backbone of the side goalkeeper center backs 2 mid field and 2 strikers playing 35 games each.
    one manager the whole season and the owner backing him 100 percent.
    Plus promotion.
    Everyone should know by now what it takes to get out of this division?

Easy🫤
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

... I want a team of players that I can warm to.  A squad who I look forward to watching.  Players who I can identify with.  And, yes, even at my advanced age, I want a hero in the team.

Farewell, Chris Gunter.  Goodbye, Ben Watson.  We've had enough of mediocrity.  Fetch me youth and exuberance.
    I think that comes with the results tbh - no one would have thought so fondly of players like Bielek, and Williams and Cullen and others from our promotion season a few years back if we didn't get promoted. 
  • Options
    Anything other than top six is not good enough.
  • Options
    I agree with the OP.
    We may came good, but I'm not expecting it.
    I'm not even confident enough to back us top half at the moment, but why would I be when we haven't signed a single player, that has been announced.
    Anything less than the play offs is a failure for a club due to be in The Premier League in 3 years.
    We might win the league, we might be relegated, we'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    My expectations are quite low. I think we’ve had too much (self-inflicted) upheaval already for this season to go well, given the amount of time we have left before the season starts. But still, anything can happen—just as it did at the beginning of last season, where things looked good and the wheels fell off almost immediately—and it could come together positively. I just don’t see the pieces in place for that to happen.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

I think that comes with the results tbh - no one would have thought so fondly of players like Bielek, and Williams and Cullen and others from our promotion season a few years back if we didn't get promoted. 
    Speak for yourself.  Bielek and Cullen will do for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To get as many LOLs on CL as possible, doesnt matter if theyre LOLing with me or at me. 
  • Options
    I think top six will be a very good season whoever we bring in. 
  • Options
    Free away train travel.
  • Options
    at this point:
    sign enough players to put out a decent 11 regularly (rather than the half decent 5 a side team we currently have)
    sign them on a longer term basis - stop the churn
    avoid relegation
    temper expectations to limit disappointment and ruin my Saturdays
    get set for another World Cup failure
    enjoy my holiday
    power wash my garden gates

• Options
    Great post. 

Pretty much exactly how I see it all at present.

Ditto
  • Options
    At the moment my expectations, i.e.what I expect rather than what I want, are for another season of mid table nothingness, but with more attractive football.

Until we start seeing some decent transfer business, it's impossible to be more optimistic.

Of course that can all change, depending on what happens in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    To get as many LOLs on CL as possible, doesnt matter if theyre LOLing with me or at me. 

I'm not falling for your pathetic attempt to gain some extra LOLs, and am hoping that this knock back is more successful  ;)
  • Options
    I dont really have any expectations regarding where we end up in the table tbh, but after a bit of a break I'm actually missing it all - even after last seasons shit show! I'm happy with Garner, I hope Tommy backs him (although, let's not go crazy), but I'm not expecting immediate total football. I want us to be organised, have a game plan/certain way of playing, to not play players out of position unless there are no other options, to see some discipline that was sorely missing last year, to see the lads put a shift in every game etc. A bit of pretty attacking football would be nice too! I don't see us as promotion candidates, but 4 or 5 quality additions and you never know. I'd also like to see some of the u23s / u18s given a chance. No point getting these boys (Elewere and Kanu particular) on contracts if you don't give them a chance to impress. On the whole I'm fairly optimistic, but that could soon change a few games in haha!
  • Options
    I think there may have been a thread on this a while back, but now that we have a new manager and pre-season is about to start, what are you expecting for the 2022/23 season?

I will lay me cards on the table: I am a season ticket holder and have already renewed for the coming season, even before Ben Garner was announced. As far as TS is concerned, I am undecided. I think he has the best intentions for the club (and is vastly better than Duchatelet), but I am not convinced he has the best advisors when it comes to running a football club. There is a massive difference between running a normal business and running a football club. The normal rules of business do not seem to apply to football, as I think Thomas has found out.

I admit I had never heard of Ben Garner, but having read and heard more about him now, I like the sound of him. I will be disappointed if he can't bring his coaches with him though. I think we need a complete change of approach with our coaching, and if Ben Garner is to be judged fairly, he needs to be given the proper tools.

It is just over a month until the first competitive game of the season and it doesn't feel as though we are likely to hit the ground running again. I really hope I am wrong, but I can see our pre-season being a bit chaotic (yet again) and I don't believe we will have completed most of our signings before the season starts. With a new manager, new playing style and a core of new players needed, I am expecting a slow start.

Overall for the season I will be pleasantly surprised if we are challenging for the play-offs throughout the season. There are too many other decent teams in the league, and that coupled with all our changes may be a bridge too far. I am expecting better than last season (it better be), but would predict a finish of 7th to 10th. I think we would need to sign 3 or 4 very decent players to improve on that.

However, if we can start to build a decent team that play the Ben Garner way, then the following year we should be challenging for automatic promotion. As long as the football is more entertaining this coming season I think I would be content with a comfortable top half finish.
    I'll echo what you have posted.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I am not going to criticise Garner, this is a big jump for him and he wants to succeed in his career, we all do.
     Imo, Sandgaard is not backing up his trap when he took over, this appointment could go badly wrong very quickly. 
    Having said that, last season at Swindon was good, but a season BELOW us.
    If it all goes tits up my anger will be at Sandgaard and not Garner.