Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kick In's

2»

Comments

• Wenger has had it in for throw-ins ever since Arsenal lost 2 or 3 years in a row at Stoke off a Rory Delap long throw.

Nothing at all wrong with the rule as it is - with clubs dedicated enough to spend time on strategy/tactics, throw ins will continue to be a unique part of the game.

If you make them a kick-in, a unique part of the game dies and it all blends into any other free kick elsewhere on the pitch.
    Apart from the fact it isn’t enforced by referees! 
  • se9addick said:
    Wenger has had it in for throw-ins ever since Arsenal lost 2 or 3 years in a row at Stoke off a Rory Delap long throw.

Nothing at all wrong with the rule as it is - with clubs dedicated enough to spend time on strategy/tactics, throw ins will continue to be a unique part of the game.

If you make them a kick-in, a unique part of the game dies and it all blends into any other free kick elsewhere on the pitch.
    You've lost me... what part are they not enforcing?
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Its a shite idea.. As well as allowing teams like Man City keep the ball easier, your almost giving a free kick to the opposition, the ball can then be lumped into the area from almost anywhere, meaning the CBs can be pushed forward.

If its an idea to limit time wasting then you'll never eradicate it, unless the whole approach to time Management gets changed... e.g. Clock gets stopped each time the ball goes out. 
    Doesn't the article say there would be a time limit for the kick in though? So you wouldn't have the time to get people forward and then lump it in.
    As if that's gonna work!  There's a time limit (6 seconds) on goalies clearing the ball that is 90% ignored by officials until the final minutes of a game.
    A directive to all officials to police time wasting from the very first minute, with sanctions for non-compliant refs is needed but there's no interest at official level cos there's no money in it.
    An alternative is to separate the time keeping from the onfield officials and the game to last 45 minutes 'in-play' per half as supervised by a designated official, like Rugby Union - but until Rolex or Timex or someone ponies up gazillions to the relevant FIFA/UEFA embezzler it won't happen -  We'd all also be at matches for 150 minutes minimum
    There is not a time limit (6 seconds you say) built into The Laws of the Game.  Law 12 simply mentions such delays being "excessive" for action to be taken by referees.
  • I thought this was trialled a few years back in the non league. 
    Rubbish idea, the ball will be pumped forward high long at every opportunity by the mediocre teams throughout the leagues especially down here in basement. 90 minutes of absolute boredom. 
    Might be ok in the prem though where teams have players who can play the game properly. 
    I have mentioned this in the past, that when I was linesman on the Conference League (1980s/19990s), the  "kick in" was trialled for one season. We were never given any reasons for the trial (objectives, rationale) prior to implementation nor were we given any feedback at the end. That period pre-dated the current deliberate and excessive delays to throw taking, so I am not sure if it had any major benefits to the game.
  • edited June 2022
    Its a shite idea.. As well as allowing teams like Man City keep the ball easier, your almost giving a free kick to the opposition, the ball can then be lumped into the area from almost anywhere, meaning the CBs can be pushed forward.

If its an idea to limit time wasting then you'll never eradicate it, unless the whole approach to time Management gets changed... e.g. Clock gets stopped each time the ball goes out. 
    Go for the ridiculous way of eliminating it when the simple solution is staring you in the face. If the added time was calculated by a seperate official with a stopwatch it would kill time wasting in a moment. The reason players do it is quite simply because it works. That is the simple fact of the matter, stop it working and you have cracked it.
  • The only kick-in I would like to see is the freedom to kick players who shield the ball at the corner flag to waste time.
  • The only kick-in I would like to see is the freedom to kick players who shield the ball at the corner flag to waste time.
    Tony Watt would disagree  ☺
  • PeterGage said:
    I thought this was trialled a few years back in the non league. 
    Rubbish idea, the ball will be pumped forward high long at every opportunity by the mediocre teams throughout the leagues especially down here in basement. 90 minutes of absolute boredom. 
    Might be ok in the prem though where teams have players who can play the game properly. 
    I have mentioned this in the past, that when I was linesman on the Conference League (1980s/19990s), the  "kick in" was trialled for one season. We were never given any reasons for the trial (objectives, rationale) prior to implementation nor were we given any feedback at the end. That period pre-dated the current deliberate and excessive delays to throw taking, so I am not sure if it had any major benefits to the game.
    I think the trial gave a choice throwing OR kicking when the ball went out of play.

As I recall many teams made a gentleman's agreement before the game that they would not use the kicking option. 
  • PeterGage said:
    I think the trial gave a choice throwing OR kicking when the ball went out of play.

As I recall many teams made a gentleman's agreement before the game that they would not use the kicking option. 
    Agreed! Why can't the VAR man just add on time when a kick or throw takes longer than 25 seconds for whatever reason (even retrieving the ball from the stands!).

Wouldn't even need to be an "offense" to take too long over a kick unless a player was completely taking the piss!
  • PeterGage said:

I dont recall the option, Steve, but my memory isn't what it used to be!
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Wenger has had it in for throw-ins ever since Arsenal lost 2 or 3 years in a row at Stoke off a Rory Delap long throw.

Just an observation that the number of foul throws that go unpunished is ridiculous. You could probably do a “kick in” today and the ref wouldn’t pull you up on it! 
  • Its a shite idea.. As well as allowing teams like Man City keep the ball easier, your almost giving a free kick to the opposition, the ball can then be lumped into the area from almost anywhere, meaning the CBs can be pushed forward.

Go for the ridiculous way of eliminating it when the simple solution is staring you in the face. If the added time was calculated by a seperate official with a stopwatch it would kill time wasting in a moment. The reason players do it is quite simply because it works. That is the simple fact of the matter, stop it working and you have cracked it.
    Whilst I agree that time wasting needs to be reviewed, your solution seems a bit too simplistic to me, on two grounds. First, the 4th official has more than enough duties at the moment (having done it myself). Managing coaches on the line and their support staff being the major task these days. Secondly, time wasting is subjective, and given the match referee is overall responsible for all matters on the field, a 4th official may not see the same incident as the ref to be time wasting. 

I am not even sure that time wasting is a big issue, providing the ref adds on a reasonable amount of extra time. We all want loads of extra time when our team is a goal down with 5 mins to play and berates the ref in such cases, but when the shoe is on the other foot, he seems to play far more time than is reasonable - human nature. As a spectator, I never stop a watch when time wasting is occurring, so I can only guess whether the ref has got it right or not - human nature. 

Have a good day.
  • edited June 2022
    Let's forget what we want for a minute. All fans would like time wasting eradicated. As a manager I used it because so did my opponents. Why do players waste time feigning injury etc...? It is a simple question with a simple answer. Because the ref never adds on the total time lost. We all know that. I didn't say 4th official. It could be an official timekeeper. It doesn't need to be a qualified ref, just a neutral who pushes a button when play is dead. Then the time could be fed to the ref via a smart watch if we want to be clever about it.
  • edited June 2022
    "The referee never adds on the total time lost" is a very subjective statement. The Laws of the Game do not specify, for example, how long goal kicks, throw in's, etc should take before they become time wasting. Thus referees, managers, chairman etc may well have different perceptions on time wasting then the Charlton supporter sitting in the West Stand of The Valley. You can only make such a statement if the times for play to restart were prescriptive and that you, as a supporter, used a stop watch to measure the compliance with the prescriptive timescales.
  • I have tried looking on youtube for kick in examples without success.
  • Let's forget what we want for a minute. All fans would like time wasting eradicated. As a manager I used it because so did my opponents. Why do players waste time feigning injury etc...? It is a simple question with a simple answer. Because the ref never adds on the total time lost. We all know that. I didn't say 4th official. It could be an official timekeeper. It doesn't need to be a qualified ref, just a neutral who pushes a button when play is dead. Then the time could be fed to the ref via a smart watch if we want to be clever about it.
    Not looking to make this the time wasting thread, but I don't think players waste time because they think the ref won't add time. Time often does get added on.

What time wasting often does is disrupt the other teams rhythm, halts momentum, its why even if you add more time on, it won't stop teams time wasting.
  • PeterGage said:
    "The referee never adds on the total time lost" is a very subjective statement. The Laws of the Game do not specify, for example, how long goal kicks, throw in's, etc should take before they become time wasting. Thus referees, managers, chairman etc may well have different perceptions on time wasting then the Charlton supporter sitting in the West Stand of The Valley. You can only make such a statement if the times for play to restart were prescriptive and that you, as a supporter, used a stop watch to measure the compliance with the prescriptive timescales.
    In many team sports the last few minutes can be the most exiting from the spectator's point of view with normal tactics abandoned and one team going hail Mary to score. Unfortunately, in football the last five minutes is often a procession of substitutes and a couple of free kicks/ throw-ins taking over a minute each.

I would love to hear one simple change to the wording on the PA at the end of a game at the Valley. 

"The referee will add at least five minutes of actual play."

I don't think this is too onerous on the ref - it doesn't have to be exact because the exact time has always been at the ref's discretion anyway. But it would have a great effect on our beautiful game without even needing to really change the rules.