Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Equality in sport.......or not.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Nutcharut Wongharuthai of Thailand won the World Women’s Snooker Championship final 6-5. Not quite the marathon the men go through. But this victory has earned her a place on this year's professional world snooker tour.
    easy for you to say ((:>)
  • Options
    Just because women CAN do something that traditionally was just performed by men, doesn't mean they SHOULD be doing it.

If a city had 500 male coach drivers and due to a politically correct push to make it 50/50 men and women that doesn't mean the women SHOULD be coach drivers. That policy has just put 250 dad's in the dole queue. Ask the women in their lives how happy they are for the women who have just put their family in poverty. 

This nonsense is being played out everywhere. 
    So, according to you we're living in a world where all employment is centrally coordinated, the driving force behind employment diktat is for complete sexual equality, everything happens instantaneously - 'natural wastage' just isn't a thing, no employer choses to retain staff (the traditionally safe and cheap option), no-one can take their skills and work elsewhere and all men are dads. Jesus H Christ. Do yourself a favour and take a look at what you have written. And don't forget to tell us if any neurones fire up.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:
    One mystery is why hasn’t there been a woman world chess champion yet.
    Beth Harmon?

Back to topic ... I wish we'd stop confusing 'equal' with 'identical'.

Many things are equal (in Maths terms 5+3 is equal to 6+2, as is 7+1), but 'identical' is a special case of equality (so, 5+3 is identical to and therefore equal to 5+3).

When we compare mens' and womens' sports, let's recognise that they will often be different, but that they could well be equal (not identical) overall (eg in terms of skill, entertainment, drama etc.)

If we insist on 'identical', it is unlikely to happen ... because men and women are different ... just like 5+3 and 6+2.
    Beth was a fictional character in a great TV series.
    As of now no woman has become World Chess Champion, there are a lot of very good women players but still we wait. There is no particular physicality involved in Chess.

• Options
    I think this is just a case of the organisers / course management getting the distance between the men’s and women’s tees out of whack. 

There can be 40 yards or so difference between men’s drives in a normal event……but Grant was often 60 or 70 yards ahead of her playing partner. This is too much of an advantage. 

There is usually plenty of room on a championship golf course to move tees back/ forward and it seems they just got the spacing wrong here. 

If the spacing of the women’s / men’s tees result in average drives ending in within a sensible margin then I don’t see why there shouldn’t be more of these tournaments. 
    At last a post that I agree with.

On most Championship golf courses there are a number of teeing areas (tee boxes). It probably would have been better if in this competition that the ladies played off the men's daily tees (yellows) and the men off the competition tees (whites). That would have made it "fairer" as there would likely to have been only a 30-40 yard difference.

• Options
    Stig said:
    Leuth said:
    Maybe the men should play off the ladies' tees. Make the greens smaller and turn it into a game of pure skill. Speed it up too. 
    Lightning golf: you've got thirty seconds to sink the ball or you're out. Or better still, lightning golf-boxing: you've got 30 seconds to sink the ball or someone gives you a smack in the mooey. That would make it more interesting.
    brilliant :smiley:
  • Options
    Chess .. Judit Polgar is often quoted as THE best woman player ever, though oddly, she never won the Women's World Championship ..  she made the 'Top Ten' players (m and f combined) list many times
  • Options
    Judit has a sister who is good as well.
    But for some reason they have never won the overall world championship.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Speaking of chess players, I saw former grandmaster Gary Kasparov in the Corner Cafe the other week. Asked him to pass the pepper, took him 2 hours
    the old ones are the best ..  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Speaking of chess players, I saw former grandmaster Gary Kasparov in the Corner Cafe the other week. Asked him to pass the pepper, took him 2 hours
    Sent that in to Talk Sport years ago. Ian Wright was pissing himself 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    the reason is likely that they were not quite good enough
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Sent that in to Talk Sport years ago. Ian Wright was pissing himself 
    should have sent him to Forest Green !!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes of course.
    I wonder (until it actually happens) if a woman chess player will ever be good enough. I hope so, it would represent something of a breakthrough that might inform gender issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes of course.
    I wonder (until it actually happens) if a woman chess player will ever be good enough. I hope so, it would represent something of a breakthrough that might inform gender issues.
    no obvious reason why it can't happen .. though the long term future World Chess Champion is likely to be an A I programme, ostensibly gender neutral 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes of course.
    no obvious reason why it can't happen .. though the long term future World Chess Champion is likely to be an A I programme, ostensibly gender neutral 
    Yes artificial intelligence is very likely to blow every chess player away.
    Mind you there are machines that can lift heavy weights, yet weightlifting remains a human sport.
  • Options
    AI has been better than humans at chess since 1997 ffs
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    seth plum said:
    One mystery is why hasn’t there been a woman world chess champion yet.
    Beth Harmon?

Back to topic ... I wish we'd stop confusing 'equal' with 'identical'.

Many things are equal (in Maths terms 5+3 is equal to 6+2, as is 7+1), but 'identical' is a special case of equality (so, 5+3 is identical to and therefore equal to 5+3).

When we compare mens' and womens' sports, let's recognise that they will often be different, but that they could well be equal (not identical) overall (eg in terms of skill, entertainment, drama etc.)

If we insist on 'identical', it is unlikely to happen ... because men and women are different ... just like 5+3 and 6+2.
    Beth was a fictional character in a great TV series.
    As of now no woman has become World Chess Champion, there are a lot of very good women players but still we wait. There is no particular physicality involved in Chess.

Yup.  Feeble attempt at humour by me.

That went well.
  • Options
    Just because women CAN do something that traditionally was just performed by men, doesn't mean they SHOULD be doing it.

If a city had 500 male coach drivers and due to a politically correct push to make it 50/50 men and women that doesn't mean the women SHOULD be coach drivers. That policy has just put 250 dad's in the dole queue. Ask the women in their lives how happy they are for the women who have just put their family in poverty. 

Presumably there will be jobs where the women outnumber the men.  Midwifery?  Fashion?

5+3 = 6+2
  • Options
    I think this is just a case of the organisers / course management getting the distance between the men’s and women’s tees out of whack. 

There can be 40 yards or so difference between men’s drives in a normal event……but Grant was often 60 or 70 yards ahead of her playing partner. This is too much of an advantage. 

There is usually plenty of room on a championship golf course to move tees back/ forward and it seems they just got the spacing wrong here. 

If the spacing of the women’s / men’s tees result in average drives ending in within a sensible margin then I don’t see why there shouldn’t be more of these tournaments. 

On most Championship golf courses there are a number of teeing areas (tee boxes). It probably would have been better if in this competition that the ladies played off the men's daily tees (yellows) and the men off the competition tees (whites). That would have made it "fairer" as there would likely to have been only a 30-40 yard difference.

If you had said that in your original post, and had backed it with some evidence (for example, how much further the average male pro drives than the average female pro) then I think you may have got more agreement. 

I just looked it up, Woods once won a major by fifteen strokes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022

If you had said that in your original post, and had backed it with some evidence (for example, how much further the average male pro drives than the average female pro) then I think you may have got more agreement. 

It would have been by about 40 strokes if he was competing against women and everyone was playing off of championship tees.
  • Options

Wasn't really bothered about stats or anything like that when I first posted yesterday. It was all about 2 people playing in a competition where one had a big advantage by playing a golf hole 3/4's the length of the person she was playing against. 

Watched Rory win last night. Big ding dong battle during the final round with fortunes ebbing & flowing. I'm sure McIlroy would have lost if Thomas was playing off the ladies tees. Or even off the yellows.  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    AI has been better than humans at chess since 1997 ffs
    Well, not really. 2004/2005 is probably about when we reached a point of no return with the likes of Rybka and Fritz coming to the fore. These days it's all Leela and Stockfish at absurd 3200+ Elo and all that.

As for the discussion re Judit Polgar - she never competed in the Women's world champ, as she didn't see it as productive chess. Her highest ranking was about 8th, and highest rating in the 2700s.
  • Options
    There are plenty of sports where women don't have a disadvantage. Snooker, darts, horse racing, motorsports, table tennis, boules, curling, these are just off the top of my head.
  • Options
    Why would the family be in poverty if the woman was working instead of the man? I assume they’d be paid the same. 
    No.  The male coach drivers would be paid more than the women coach drivers.  It's perfectly obvious.  As Golfie has tried to explain, in detail, men can drive about a hundred yards further than women. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I'm listening to Born to Run at the moment and i think women tended to outperform men in some of the most gruelling ultra marathons when they first came about too.
  • Options