Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Home Teams can wear 2nd or 3rd kits if they think there's a colour blindness clash

edited June 2022 in General Charlton
https://www.efl.com/news/2022/june/new-colour-blindness-kit-clash-amendmen/

Colour blindness is an issue I know
But 'Home' teams won't be swapping to other strips because of care for attendees and players with colour vision issues, they'll be swapping for commercial reasons to flog more merch, just as is the case with most away kit "clashes"

If there's a genuine kit colour clash, the visiting side should still be obliged to change to a 2nd kit.  If EFL is sincere about caring for those with colour vision impairments then the regulation needs to be that your 2nd kit can't be a colour often hard to distinguish from the 1st e.g. green from red being common.   Light for dark (or vice versa) or the addition or removal of stripes (where relevant) will resolve the colour vision impairment problems
As usual EFL paying flimsy lip service to an issue when unvarnished commercial influence is at play

At our level I doubt there's much extra to be made cos the market for lower league kit sales has to be finite, doesn't it?  Especially north of £50 for a sponsorship bedecked shirt that changes annually.

Charlton plays in red and should play in red home & away unless the host team also plays in red, or orange at a push.  Short and sock clashes can be sorted without resorting to changing the whole outfit.

Big kit manufacturer or vendor influence is at play here

Comments

• The away team should play in yellow & green stripes, like an earth lead. 
    Problem solved.
    Problem solved.
    be fun watching anyone against Norwich 
    Problem solved.
    be fun watching anyone against Norwich 
    OK one team has to play in brown that day.
  • Thin end of the wedge imo. 
  • We must have a lot of colour blind players in our team, they seem to struggle passing to anyone in a red shirt, black shirt, or just about any colour shirt.
  • good decision 
  • I am aware that Matt Holland has said he is colour blind but have we had any others? 
  • I am also one of the 10% of colour blind men in this country which in crowds of predominantly male supporters therefore accounts for up to 7,000 people every home match (if you are Man Utd). Generally, it's not a problem for me but I suspect that is rather down to luck as I'm not sure the clubs pay much attention to it and many teams play in combinations of red and blue which are usually easy to separate. However, it is not just the colours that need to be considered. The play-off semi-final between Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday had both teams playing in stripes even though one was blue and the other red. My wife is not colour blind and she found it hard to distinguish between the two. Surely, it should be easy to sort out. Every club could have an all blue, all yellow or all black strip- like the one worn by Charlton in the Black Sabbath win at Arsenal - that could be used when necessary and the choice of any kit change should be the responsibility of the away team. The clubs could confirm kit colours in the days leading up to the match and the officials informed - preferably in consultation with someone who is colour blind! Of course, as has already been said, the EFL is probably only doing this for commercial reasons and the irony is that this is precisely why the Premier League will not be following suit.        
  • I’m also colour blind and I’ve never had a problem, so was quite surprised to see this thread. However, I did once buy a suit from Harry Fenton’s in Woolwich which I thought was brown, and when I got home my mum told me it was a dark pink. Never wore it for some reason.
  • edited June 2022
    I am also one of the 10% of colour blind men in this country which in crowds of predominantly male supporters therefore accounts for up to 7,000 people every home match (if you are Man Utd). Generally, it's not a problem for me but I suspect that is rather down to luck as I'm not sure the clubs pay much attention to it and many teams play in combinations of red and blue which are usually easy to separate. However, it is not just the colours that need to be considered. The play-off semi-final between Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday had both teams playing in stripes even though one was blue and the other red. My wife is not colour blind and she found it hard to distinguish between the two. Surely, it should be easy to sort out. Every club could have an all blue, all yellow or all black strip- like the one worn by Charlton in the Black Sabbath win at Arsenal - that could be used when necessary and the choice of any kit change should be the responsibility of the away team. The clubs could confirm kit colours in the days leading up to the match and the officials informed - preferably in consultation with someone who is colour blind! Of course, as has already been said, the EFL is probably only doing this for commercial reasons and the irony is that this is precisely why the Premier League will not be following suit.        
    Amongst that 10% there are three types of colour blindness. Simply red, green or blue can't be picked out.

There was a BBC programme many years ago where they adjusted a colour camera to show the different effects.Things can appear grey if you have it.

I knew someone (a female) who could see green. Obvious question what about traffic lights? Answer it's the bottom one. She added that anything that looked the colour of grass was thought to be green.

She couldn't tell the difference between the Northern and Central lines on a Tube map. She got by after learning that the Central line runs east west.

There needs to be contrasts between colours. The amber dot signs used on station platforms are awful as there is no contrast between the amber and back. 

So it's not as simple as 2 different colour shirts as they may appear the same to a colour blind person. Wearing different coloured shorts may help.