Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lester Piggott RIP

Legendary jockey, 86

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP. Without doubt, the best ever jockey.
  • Options
    Sorry Afka - there are two G’s in the surname. GG - quite appropriate, really !
  • Options
    Definitely a true legend. RIP.
  • Options
    Great jockey, especially when just a boy in his early career. 
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP, truly great sportsman
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    RIP
  • Options
    He was the best of his time and arguably the best of all time. I think I’m correct in saying that he was profoundly deaf. With that disability it must have been hard for him in life but to reach the top of the tree like he did was truly exceptional an more so because of when.
    He had his knighthood removed, which I always felt was a mean and spiteful considering some of the scandals that have gone since.
    RIP 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A genius, but with feet of clay like so many greats.
    RIP.
  • Options
    Must be the most famous jockey of all time. RIP
  • Options
    He was simply the best.  Never forget cheering him on at Epsom - COME ON LESTER!!!!! RIP
  • Options
    records show he was the greatest, apart from paying his taxes .. but being sent to prison ? .. far too harsh ..  R I P
  • Options
    The word great is a much over used word but Lester was a truly great jockey. There are many wonderful stories about him. After winning a big race in America he was asked at what stage did he think he would win. He replied two weeks ago.
    RIP Longfellow. 
  • Options
    A name everyone has heard of. RIP
  • Options
    Incidentally, Maureen Haggas, wife of the very successful trainer William, is Lester's daughter and is reckoned to be a big influence on William's success .. could be that equine knowledge and expertise is in the Piggott genes, as horse racing has been the family business for generations
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Incidentally, Maureen Haggas, wife of the very successful trainer William, is Lester's daughter and is reckoned to be a big influence on William's success .. could be that equine knowledge and expertise is in the Piggott genes, as horse racing has been the family business for generations
    Or they go through each other?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    A genius, but with feet of clay like so many greats.
    RIP.
    To the uneducated, what does that mean?
  • Options
    Lester rode Shadeed to win the 2000 Guineas in 1985 on my first trip to the races as an adult.
    I saw a re-run of the race this morning and Lester was like poetry in motion. He really was a genius on a horse.
    RIP The Long Fellow
  • Options
    Legend of racing RIP.
  • Options
    Will comment first on his legacy as a winning jockey. Wonderful winner.

Was rude to my two children at Newbury racecourse along with willy carson in the mid 90's, before Alan Munro intervened, who saw what happened and apologised to us for what he described as old fogy attitudes.

RIP never the less.
  • Options
    I used to play darts with a fella called Ron who used to be a jockey, on his first race he was up against Lester Piggott. Lester won the race and Ron came 2nd. After the race the trainer asked Ron why he was crying his eyes out and that he had done really well on his first ride to which Ron answered it wasn't the fact of finishing 2nd, it was that Lester Piggott had whipped his arse all the way around!